Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
This is incredible. I found the original (much like into the nexus) unplayable at 30. Ratchet to me has always been a 60fps franchise.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The series just hasn't had that edge since Ratchet and Clank: Hit It Harder and Full Release

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I've never played a ratchet game until just today despite have PlayStations since the 1st. Game looks great, but are all of them this dated? Or is it because it's a remake. It feels like a game from 1997.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
I can't tell the difference, from the video on iPad lol
Do youpoop videos show them?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
- DF goes into the patch itself and discover the PS5 can very well do an XS style "FPS Boost" as well owing to the SDK info discovered in the patch files.

giphy1.gif

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Getting real excited for Rift Apart now

My only hope is that the Performance mode runs at 1440p with the same visual settings (minus RT) as the quality mode. As much as I loved the performance RT mode on Spiderman, I did notice pop in a lot more

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac has been absolutely killing it the past few years and their tech has been unbelievable. Cannot wait to see what they do in the future

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
It's not really a great Ratchet game imo, but thankfully the gameplay loop is fun enough that it's def still worth playing!

Happy to see Insomniac coming around to 60fps again. I remember that "How much does frame rate matter" blog from their engine director years ago — got a lot of people mad at the time LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've added more detail into the TL;DW cause my summary of Richards comment on the SDK was too vague/unclear.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yep. The difference is remarkable.

By themselves, the Ratchet and Clank and God of War patches are a compelling reason to buy a PS5. I'm not even exaggerating.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
YouTube definitely does show the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS, yes. It should be most obvious in the side-by-side comparison between PS4 and PS5 that happens from about 4:08 to 4:28 in the video.
Ok ya
Can't see it :(
Didn't notice the labels on top and guessed the one on the right was 60fps XD

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Insomniac is fast becoming one of the most impressive studios in the industry.
They have always been very impressive with tech since ps1 days. They were just a bit distracted with their Sony out put last gen when they have gone multiplatform and also doing vr stuff on the side. The 2 games the put out on ps4, ratchet and spiderman were very technically impressive to this day. Just overshadowed by their ps5 follow up.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It'd be nice but what we really need are third parties to get involved (more than they are now). Microsoft's FPS Boost solution is great as an improvement that can happen purely on Microsoft's side, but clearly there's a lot further that those older games can be pushed in terms of performance. Like we have the weird situation where Watch Dogs 2 (to pick one example from the limited set of FPS Boost games) runs at 1800p (reconstructed) at 30FPS on PS5 and 900p at 60FPS on Xbox Series X, when clearly both of those consoles could be running it at 144p or higher and 60FPS if Ubisoft stepped in.

Ubisoft is totally going to sell "remastered" collections that are just unlocked framerate and variable resolution, just wait, ugh.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
jstevenson
Considering how eyeballmeltingly good this already looks...

How unprepared are we for what's to come in Rift Apart?

I'm scared... I fear for my eyes.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Parts of the design definitely feel dated, but I'm still having a blast. I really misunderstood what this series was. For some reason I had the impression it was an "edgy" kids game. Like Shadow the Hedgehog.

The OG Ratchet was significantly edgier than the newer Ratchet stuff is, he's was an asshole in the first game.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I guess I'm one of those rare people that can jump between 30fps games and 60fps with no issues. Don't get me wrong, 60fps is great, but I've never had an experience where I thought 30fps was "unplayable." For me, 30fps was more like "film," while 60fps was more like "soap operas," for lack of a better descriptor. Neither descriptor is meant to be taken as a negative, by the way!

And as far as 30fps goes, Insomniac's games are some of the smoothest playing 30fps experiences I've had. R&C 2016 controlled like butter, in my opinion. The 60fps version is icing on an already tasty cake.

There is absolutely a difference between 30fps and 60fps, it's just never been a deal breaker for me, personally. When the framerate starts to dip and fluctuate below 30fps is when we run into trouble for me.

Insomniac has always been a talented studio, and one of my faves, and seeing them evolve and get more love makes me so happy for them. Ratchet and Clank is one of my favorite PlayStation IPs as well, so I'm so excited for Rift Apart. A new fully fledged R&C title after so long is amazing to me. Before the 2016 title, I was afraid we'd never get a new entry after A Crack in Time (tied for my favorite Ratchet game with Up Your Arsenal).

2016 may not be the best R&C, but I thought it was a great "reimagining" of the first game, and was as beautiful to look at as it was to play.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Parts of the design definitely feel dated, but I'm still having a blast. I really misunderstood what this series was. For some reason I had the impression it was an "edgy" kids game. Like Shadow the Hedgehog.

The original games did have a bit of an edge to them, Ratchet was actually kind of a dick in the first game lol, but there was definitely always a slant of humor and snark to him rather than being a total edgelord.

For better or worse they've softened the characters up a bit over the years, and the focus has shifted from wacky hijinks to a more epic space adventure with Ratchet trying to learn about the history of the Lombax race.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Really looking forward to Rift Apart. Sadly I just played Ratchet and Clank on PS5 before this patch came out but very happy for those who haven't experienced the game yet before. Love the series.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like an incorrect assumption from Rich.

The Series X style FPS Boost is done entirely inside the Direct X layer without touching the underlying code, no dev involvement required. This looks more like the ability to drop in an additional identifier to the older build of the SDK and then remove/change the framecap based on the identifier, which isn't any different from any of the other PS4 frame rate unlocks we've gotten so far.
It is not an assumption from Rich. This is a conclusion arrived at by chandoog assuming that that is what Rich is trying to say when I don't believe that's what he is saying at all.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Definitely for the better, I think. Replaying the HD Collection of the originals some years back, I remember being surprised by how much of a dick Ratchet's characterization is. I think from Tools of Destruction onward, they softened Ratchet's character significantly, and made him more lighthearted and snarky, which I think works better for his character, and just makes him a more likable protagonist.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing this video makes me mad a crack in time is still stuck on PS3. Best game in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Definitely for the better, I think. Replaying the HD Collection of the originals some years back, I remember being surprised by how much of a dick Ratchet's characterization is. I think from Tools of Destruction onward, they softened Ratchet's character significantly, and made him more lighthearted and snarky, which I think works better for his character, and just makes him a more likable protagonist.

I like what they've done over the years and it actually feels kind of natural as he continued to journey across the galaxy doing heroic stuff. He wasn't just an ass in the first game he was kinda reluctant to save the galaxy with the opportunity in front of him. And he still clearly enjoys all the mayhem they get into lol

Cute heroic Ratchet is def more endearing to me but I get that other people may prefer the version that didn't really take anyone's shit. But the games were targeted at older kids back than rather than the E+ tone of games we get now.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Insomniac are so impressive.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I think they could be working on a PSVR2 launch title, as well as Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Spider-Man 2 and patches like this for older games.
Between 2016 and 2019, IG released Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman and a large VR game, and 6 small titles.

They are an absurd studio.

So this wasn't an Insomniac patch after all? Just a BC hack like Prey etc received on XS?
No it's not a BC hack.

Essentially they were able to use the same SDK version as the original game. Either being able to encode for a PS5 version is several years older than we thought, or Insomniac has a clever way to test for what frame rate the game should be running at, that doesn't require a PS5 SDK.

I didnt understand why he thought games needed to be patched or updated to work on the newer SDK. What devs seem to be doing is unlocking the frame rate for 60hz, whether its on a new SDK or older its doesn't make a difference, since the only upgrade here is the frame rate. BC games dont use the extra power or features of the console, so it doesn't make sense for a patch to be built on a SDK specifically for the PS5.
BC games can't use the new features, but they do still use the extra power of the console. It's able to use the CPU and GPU grunt, that's why we are able to get games that were CPU limited on even PS4 pro running at 60 fps, and that's why we can get games that were GPU limited on PS4 pro running at more than double the frame rate.

How does the system know to stay locked at 30 on the PS4 while unlocking for 60 fps on PS5? That's the mystery, because this would have been running on a much older SDK.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like what they've done over the years and it actually feels kind of natural as he continued to journey across the galaxy doing heroic stuff. He wasn't just an ass in the first game he was kinda reluctant to save the galaxy with the opportunity in front of him. And he still clearly enjoys all the mayhem they get into lol

Cute heroic Ratchet is def more endearing to me but I get that other people may prefer the version that didn't really take anyone's shit. But the games were targeted at older kids back than rather than the E+ tone of games we get now.

Also very true. I really like that Ratchet views as a character, and the storyline gets more complex as a result, while still being fun for everyone fair. It's not edgy or angsty, but a nice progression of plot and character, especially in the Future Saga!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to just be a video on the patch to 60fps but what I got was an indepth study of Insomniac and their 60fps history for Ratchet and Clank and more.

What a wonderful video.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
- DF goes into the patch itself and discover the PS5 can very well do an XS style "FPS Boost" as well owing to the SDK info discovered in the patch files.

edit: some more context on the last point:

No it's definitely a newly developed patch, but the patch itself was compiled on a much older SDK version, years older than what the developers have access to now. Implies the games can be upgraded via patches without being on the latest system development builds.

DF does say how it works exactly is a mystery, but that's what they theorize.
This is huge news. Hopefully other games can be as easy to up frame rates.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

No it's definitely a newly developed patch, but the patch itself was compiled on a much older SDK version, years older than what the developers have access to now. Implies the games can be upgraded via patches without being on the latest system development builds.
I would imagine it's the SDK that the original PS4 game was made on. Probably easier to use that than to import it all into the new SDK. But it does seem to open it up to other games to do the same thing provided that the source code supports arbitrary framerates to begin with and that 30fps is simply a cap and not fully hard-coded into the game. And, of course, they'd need to have all of the source files in usable form ready to re-compile, which most devs probably don't.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Between 2016 and 2019, IG released Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman and a large VR game, and 6 small titles.

They are an absurd studio.

No it's not a BC hack.

Essentially they were able to use the same SDK version as the original game. Either being able to encode for a PS5 version is several years older than we thought, or Insomniac has a clever way to test for what frame rate the game should be running at, that doesn't require a PS5 SDK.

BC games can't use the new features, but they do still use the extra power of the console. It's able to use the CPU and GPU grunt, that's why we are able to get games that were CPU limited on even PS4 pro running at 60 fps, and that's why we can get games that were GPU limited on PS4 pro running at more than double the frame rate.

How does the system know to stay locked at 30 on the PS4 while unlocking for 60 fps on PS5? That's the mystery, because this would have been running on a much older SDK.
Yeah how BC works is great, it's how games like Sekiro are able to run at a almost flawless 60 fps when played on a PS5. Since the game is able to take advantage of the CPU and GPU like if its was a PS4 Pro Plus.

But I guess the mystery is how the game can detect that its being played on different hardware for the patch to activate. If I had to guess I would say that it's likely a feature of the SDK 2016 and older, since it's how patches for PS4 Pro worked. All insomniac would have to do is add the PS5 hardware to be identified.

It be interesting if these PS5 patches for BC games could run on modded PS4 consoles.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The devs always should be proud when DF's performance section of the video is a 2 hour timelapse where there are no perceptible dips. It's amazing seeing that type of performance, even on an older game.

Glad Rich talked about the temporal injection a bit. I think it's the second-best reconstruction technique out there behind DLSS. I really hope more Sony studios utilize it.

Gotta also give props to the motion blur and DoF in this game. I adore how it looks.

Akash

Oct 27, 2017
The best part of PS5 has beem PS4 games. I wish they would do this for TLOU2. Im a couple hours in and 30fps just...sucks.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
TL;DW

- Ratchet PS2 ran at 60 FPS. The original PS2 game also got a PS3 remaster at higher resolution and also 60 FPS.
- PS4 reboot was 30 FPS with very minor drops. PS4 Pro ran at 1440p + Temporal Injection at 30 FPS.
- Outside of very infrequent 1 frame drops, the game is pretty much locked 60 FPS.

DF does say how it works exactly is a mystery, but that's what they theorize.

I'd suggest editing this post as people are only going to read "PS5 can very well do an XS style "FPS Boost"" and misunderstand what's happening here, and that's also not in line with what DF is pointing out in the video.

What they're saying is that the developers of the game didn't have to update the SDK version the game was using in order to have the patch recognize it was running on a non ps4/ps4 pro device, which means it's much easier to develop a patch for an older title to make it aware of the device it's on and then do something (In thiscase the something is removing the fps limit).

It's a very neat trick and could prove very handy for trying to patch older games as the assumption DF had prior to this was that patching a game to add PS5 performance profiles would require massive updates to use the latest SDK, which is a mammoth undertaking in most cases.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
But I guess the mystery is how the game can detect that its being played on different hardware for the patch to activate. If I had to guess I would say that it's likely a feature of the SDK 2016 and older, since it's how patches for PS4 Pro worked. All insomniac would have to do is add the PS5 hardware to be identified.
Yeah, this is the most likely way. The feature could even have been there since before the PS4 launched, all it would take would be some way for a game to ask the system to identify itself.

It be interesting if these PS5 patches for BC games could run on modded PS4 consoles.
Seems plausible if it really is just a call to the system. If it's something like what Richard is speculating in the DF video and the game is crunching some numbers and determining what hardware it's running on based on that, then it probably isn't possible.

Did they announce a date for the patch?
They announced April but then it released near the end of March anyway.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I think Mike's comment about 30fps vs. 60fps as far as sales go was right in the grand scheme of things. With the exception of GTSport, all of Sony's major FP games last-gen ran at 30fps and they were breaking sales record after sales record. R&C2016 is the best selling Ratchet game and Spidey is Insomniac's best selling game ever.

And Call of Duty crushes its competition and forced an entire genre to adopt a 60fps standard where the titans of that genre had always targeted 30fps prior. There are examples for just about anything, context matters more than blanket statements here imo.

Games that require tight timings (fighting, character action, 2d platformers, etc) and precision also tend to favor 60fps, while games that rely more on storytelling and cinematic action tend to favor 30fps, it's very hard to compete in the former space if your game doesn't feel responsive and it's very hard to compete in the latter space if your game doesn't look incredible on a frame by frame basis.