• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Oh great i just updated, looks like DX12 continues to suck can we please just bury this trash api and use vulkan or DX11?

yeah, honestly... ive heard and said myself many times, its not an issue with dx12 specifically, its about the implementation - but how many years has it been now? Clearly devs are struggling to consistently implement DX12 well in a lot of cases when it comes to PC. It's either a time, skill, budget issue, but it doesn't matter, the end result is just shit so many times. From weird crashes to stuttering across generally lower performance compared to other apis.

pretty sure RE2 DX12 was always worse than DX11, the fact that capcom actually thought to just take DX11 out without fixing DX12 is absolutely wild

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Oof, though Village showed that Capcom, like too many developers, just can't seem to get DX12 right. Not out of the gate anyway.

Edit: Jeez, DX12 first came out (to the public) in 2015. I wonder if any outlets have investigated why so many big names have struggled greatly with it.

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent work as always Alex, god damn. I hate DX12, and all the stutters it induces. This broken TAA is the worst.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
It's a shame Capcom is having issue when porting games to PC, I was never happy with the original version on PC with DX11. So I was hoping this updated version would bring much needed improvements to the PC version.

Poor AA, SSR that don't work well in the game, and now we have poor performance on top of of all that. And still the 30 fps animations are in the game.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Do they got rid of TAAU from the resolution scaler or it was never there to begin with? I think implementing FSR2.0 makes even more sense in this case, improving both performance and image quality with better TAA.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I did watch the video Alex (and read the article). When I turn RT off I have the following ambient occlusion options: OFF, SSAO (set areas only), SSAO, FidelityFX CACAO and HBAO+. Here are some screenshots of my local RE2 folder as well as my save file.

tl6jQc.png

tl6I5Z.png

I don't remember CACAO in the original game (only in Village?) so I am not sure an old save would make it appear. Could it be some sort of config file or registry key from *Village*?

Edit: I also noticed this option was added to Resident Evil 7, so I was under the impression CACAO was added to all three titles with the newest updates (HBAO+ is also still present in Resident Evil 7 btw):

Double checking I can see my error. I must have done my AO check inadvertently when I had the RT switch set to on. Thanks for catching this. I will amend the article and add a note in the video description. ILikeFeet could you also ammend your summary too?
oops62k7l.png

Is cacao better or worse than hbao+
From my quick check on this this I would say it is a matter of taste. See what you like more as they both just kind of have different variations on the size of the AO halo and its look.

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So what is the general advantage for using DX12 on PC? Seems like a number of DX12 versions of games just end up being somewhat broken compared to their DX11 version.

Sinah

Jun 2, 2022
So what is the general advantage for using DX12 on PC? Seems like a number of DX12 versions of games just end up being somewhat broken compared to their DX11 version.

On paper dx12 allows developers to get 'closer to the metal' which means they have less API overhead to deal with which in turn should leverage better performance, Dx12 also offers a few more graphical options like raytracing etc. In reality it hasn't really panned out that way most of the time it's either an afterthought or the team doesn't have enough experience to get the most out of the API.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Double checking I can see my error. I must have done my AO check inadvertently when I had the RT switch set to on. Thanks for catching this. I will amend the article and add a note in the video description. ILikeFeet could you also ammend your summary too?
oops62k7l.png

From my quick check on this this I would say it is a matter of taste. See what you like more as they both just kind of have different variations on the size of the AO halo and its look.
done

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Im so glad a popular outlet exists that can call out Capcom for this shit.
Yes, they dont seems to care much though. Their DX12 implementation was crap since day 1, worse performance and provides no image improvement prior to RT update. DF did a video for RE8 pointing out all the flaws already, none of that has changed at all even to this day. Only thing they fixed was the denovu or drm stutter which was actually affecting their sales.

FYI people with nvdia card, you can force FXAA in the nvidia control panel for Re2 and Re8 but blocked for RE3. Doing so clean up a lot of the edges aliasing for me. Very noticeable for RE8 is if you look at the tree branches. And low performance cost too.

Only thing we can hope for is capcom implementing FSR2.0 which can helps with image quality by providing a better TAA and boost performance. They partner with AMD for all their games suprisd they didnt continue to work on FSR2.0. Would be a good marketing buzz just throwing the words RT, FSR2.0 and 4k high fps

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
There are a few additional issues not mentioned in the video: AA is always 100% broken in the model viewer; I'm not sure of the exact behaviour, but sometimes the game fails to load high-res versions of textures; loading times are longer; not really a bug, but these new versions broke compatibility with thousands of mods created for RE2 and RE3.

I'm glad Capcom gave the option to roll back. I think that's the best option unless you really want the new ray-traced reflections and GI.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
The sad part is part of RE Engine seems pretty amazing IMO. It was one of the only engines that would give me consistently over 70 fps on my old junk hardware (i7 2600k & GeForce 1060) while looking as good as it does. Seems like DX12 has actually been a monkeys paw curse to PC gaming.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Few other things in the new update:

1. Setting the game to use Interlaced will have it use Normal rendering upon game reload, despite the menu saying Interlaced, requiring a manual toggle every time the game is launched.
  2. HBAO+ is completely broken in RE7, leading to a destroyed contrast curve that makes it unplayable.
  3. Resolution scaling is also broken in RE7, no matter if you set it to 0.5 or 2.0, performance does not change.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Yikes, all these issues. I think the only work around is to have high end rig and crank up the graphical setting to mitigate the issues. Not looking good for future releases assuming they are also done with DX11 api. SF6, dragon dogma 2 and re4..... Capcom and AMD need to get in touch serious if they want to continue their gpu partnership. Implement FSR2.0 man.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent work as always Alex, god damn. I hate DX12, and all the stutters it induces. This broken TAA is the worst.
I'll have to paraphrase another dev off of memory who said this to me when I made a similar remark on here: DX12 is not the problem, poor implementation of it is. It gives the developer more control over things like asset I/O and if they do the bare minimum (and no, not while being lazy because blaming devs for being lazy is bannable), the stutters occur. But apparently this is not inherent to DX12, it's just a common result due to the predisposition of devs to not put the necessary work in to make their games not this way.

Last edited:

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I'll have to paraphrase another dev off of memory who said this to me when I made a similar remark on here: DX12 is not the problem, poor implementation of it is. It gives the developer more control over things like I/O and if they do the bare minimum (and no, not while being lazy because blaming devs for being lazy is bannable), the stutters occur. But apparently this is not inherent to DX12, it's just a common result due to the predisposition of devs to not put the necessary work in to make their games not this way.

Some of the best implementation of DX12 came very early in its lifespan - and perhaps not by coincidence, both ports were by Nixxes (Rise of the Tomb Raider/Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Was going to post about how they at least improved the specular aliasing in RE7 when moving, but then I fired up the DX11 version to compare. What they did in fact do, was break motion blur.

Perhaps not a huge loss to many, but just another graphical feature they fucked up.

Scenes recorded with Nvidia Shadowplay and frames taken during rapid camera movement.

DX11, motion blur setting: OFF

mclAV7S.png

DX11, motion blur setting: ON

o7CWfBB.png

DX12 (new version) motion blur setting: OFF

SuvrFYt.png

DX12 (new version) motion blur setting: ON

b4EmqgK.png

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
DX12 in RE2/3 indeed suck, also the RT reflections still being low quality for console parity/AMD's benefit is lame.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Dictator I'm curious if you can shed some light on this insane ghosting that seems to be happening in these new versions. They occur even when TAA and motion blur are disabled so I'm wondering if it something with the RT implementation. Early areas that really shows them off is trying to open the locked gate at the very start of RE7, as the gate is shook it leaves these dark after images of itself. In RE2, facing towards the raining darkness outside the gas station you can see the character creating ghost trails while they move.

I know TAA has ghosting, but I never noticed it this bad in the non-RT versions.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Not sure why so many people are blaming DX12 for these problems. It's becoming a rhetoric around the internet that Microsoft is the one making all these games bad. But I feel like that has been dispelled by many experts already. Like DX12 makes life a bit tougher for devs with shaders, but if you can get it right there is theoretically a lot more performance on offer, right? Why are all these devs so bad at getting it right?

Why can't we just do the Forza style "optimising for your PC" for other games on first boot and solve this issue forever? 😭😭😭

It's getting out of hand. I am legitimately TERRIFIED to purchase PC versions of games now. I get burned on like 2 out of every 3 games I buy at this point. It's actually insane.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad they allowed us to revert to the DX11 version. The game already ran rough on my PC, the update would have turned it into a slideshow.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why so many people are blaming DX12 for these problems.

Because it clearly decided to implement something that PC devs were absolutely not ready for.

There was too much work already and the amount of absolutely terrible PC ports, stuttery mess etc... DX12 has caused because the devs couldn't figure out how to properly utilize hardware leaving 0 fix for the users is just not worth it.

If I see "DX12 only" now I literally second guess my purchase.

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
Can someone explain Tome what's the actual problem with DX12?
Why does it break games like that?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Can someone explain Tome what's the actual problem with DX12?
Why does it break games like that?
i think its something like DX11 used to manage a bunch of stuff at the driver level whereas with DX12 the developer has to do some stuff on their end and if they aren't properly doing it performance suffers/stuttering happens

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
i think its something like DX11 used to manage a bunch of stuff at the driver level whereas with DX12 the developer has to do some stuff on their end and if they aren't properly doing it performance suffers/stuttering happens

So it isn't something to do with DX12, but with how the devs interact with it?
Isn't it around for years now? I guess that being too dependant on DX11 for so long is causing these troubles nowadays, they need to catch-up.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Isn't it around for years now? I guess that being too dependant on DX11 for so long is causing these troubles nowadays, they need to catch-up.
My guess is that because DX12 has become the standard now with the new generation of GPUs/xbox consoles (and features like Raytracing), previously devs relied on DX11 for everything until essentially being forced to move over to DX12 (for said consoles/features). So they aren't as experienced with using it

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up Alex, I can't believe I'm going to have to get RE4 on my series x instead of pc because capcom sucks.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vulkan would theoretically have this issue too, but there aren't too many major Vulkan games. how Doom sorta solved it was to clamp down on preventing the issue from having a lot of shader permutations. that's but one way to solve it

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to paraphrase another dev off of memory who said this to me when I made a similar remark on here: DX12 is not the problem, poor implementation of it is. It gives the developer more control over things like asset I/O and if they do the bare minimum (and no, not while being lazy because blaming devs for being lazy is bannable), the stutters occur. But apparently this is not inherent to DX12, it's just a common result due to the predisposition of devs to not put the necessary work in to make their games not this way.

I hear that and it's a point well noted! It seems like in a number of games, just the mere mention of DX12 comes with stutter until we cross our fingers for patches. I don't pretend to know how specific development tweaks can ensure this doesn't happen, but it definitely feels more common this generation. I hope they can get it sorted!

Nov 8, 2017
Speculation here, but I wonder if the Dx12 version is doing setup for Ray tracing even when it's disabled.

Maybe I just don't want to believe the perf hit is that bad for no reason at all haha. I'm glad at least my assessment of marginal stutter was accurate in the end.