• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCXilVBVv0

Quick summary
  • Made in Unreal Engine 4, uses all the typical UE4 features, no RT
  • Shows good restraint to maintain image quality and performance
  • HDR support, but doesn't use PS5 system level calibration
  • "Extremely smooth", no loading stutter unlike other UE4 games like Jedi Survivor
  • Loading times of a few seconds
  • 3 graphics modes
    • Quality is mostly native 4K 30FPS, with dynamic res drops sometimes
    • Performance 1440p 60FPS, with dynamic res drops sometimes
    • Balanced is 1080p-1440p 60FPS, but with upscaling to 4K.
  • Framerate in performance mode is basically perfect 60FPS, quality properly frame-paced 30FPS, balanced runs in 50-60FPS and is a great fit for VRR displays.

logash

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhCXilVBVv0

Quick summary
  • Made in Unreal Engine 4, uses all the typical UE4 features, no RT
  • Shows good restraint to maintain image quality and performance
  • HDR support, but doesn't use PS5 system level calibration
  • "Extremely smooth", no loading stutter unlike other UE4 games like Jedi Survivor
  • Loading times of a few seconds
  • 3 graphics modes
    • Quality is mostly native 4K 30FPS, with dynamic res drops sometimes
    • Performance 1440p 60FPS, with dynamic res drops sometimes
    • Balanced is 1080p-1440p 60FPS, but with upscaling to 4K.
  • Framerate in performance mode is basically perfect 60FPS, quality properly frame-paced 30FPS, balanced runs in 50-60FPS and is a great fit for VRR displays.

Played the Demo on balanced and loved it. Looking like that's the way to go for VRR displays.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
interesting no ray tracing, thought the demo had it for sure with all the pools of water and light reflective surfaces

wonder if they eventually do a PC port and put in RTX

balanced sounds the way to go for those with LG OLEDs

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Pretty impressive for their first console game to be honest, I will play on balanced.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's kind of sad to see a game that is so polished in the technical aspects that still has an artistic style... like that.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I want it so bad, can't wait for the eventual PC port. Super excited for this one

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Sounds like the perfect candidate for a PS5Pro patch with perfect 60fps + upscaling to 4K + added RT.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
looks like surround sound is broken with audio output set to atmos. I hope they fix it asap

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It should've been filled with bugs/glitches/crashes at launch, not "an ultra-polished action game"... 😠

Plus day-one patches that's bigger than the game size & not fixing most of it. 😠

carl-simpsons.gif

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Balanced mode ftw. Can't wait to play it, although it will have to wait a bit. Too many games!

cptsmirnov

Sep 23, 2022
Was considering waiting for the ps5 pro but honestly the balanced mode sounds really good. May have to just get this now

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Looks beautiful, hopefully it will have a pro patch ready on release. I'll probably play it on the pro.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome news for ALL modes. Not sure if this'll be a day one for me, but I'm intrigued just from a technical standpoint.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That's great to hear. Probably still not Day 1 for me (big backlog + a little short on money right now), but maybe I'll end up getting this on PS5 instead of waiting for the PC version.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yeah I don't have a VRR display but I'm playing on balanced 100%, those drops won't affect me while the visual quality will be quite noticeable.

Apr 5, 2022
Not sure if anyone else saw Max's impression about this game but it seems performance mode has less input delay than balanced mode? Correct me if i'm wrong on this but I remember Max and his friends playing this and they had some opinions on the gameplay speed/inputs.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I saw Max playing yeah, I don't, I don't really have problems with the demo and I played it just once before them.

What I would say is that it feels different to what we're used to, he went straight into the boss fights while I struggled a bit during the level and felt quite good against the bosses.

Edit: He even addressed that after a few attempts he was more comfortable with it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Good to see that everything impressive technically about the demo is also part of the full game, and on top of that looks and plays great. Shift Up could very easily pass for a first party Sony studio.

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States
Not sure if anyone else saw Max's impression about this game but it seems performance mode has less input delay than balanced mode? Correct me if i'm wrong on this but I remember Max and his friends playing this and they had some opinions on the gameplay speed/inputs.

I didn't feel like the demo had any difference in input delay between balanced/performance mode. I don't remember if anyone did a deeper dive on the topic, but for me, it seemed that allowing Eve to go back to her idle animation has a longer visual wind up compared to interrupting it and performing another action. Visually it makes it feel slower but I didn't test if it affected the parry or dodge window. To that end, I didn't really have an issue with resolution mode input delay either so i dunno.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
If the PC version comes out within 1-2 years from now that would be a surprise.

Well at least it will be ready for the RTX 60 series if not. But I think Sony is going to start pushing for quicker PC releases very soon since shareholders are basically screaming at them to do so. Also Hiroki Totoki said as much as back in February.

VRR has to be enabled on the PS5.

Hmm...this isn't ideal for me

I prefer leaving that to "automatic" in the PS5 settings instead of "Always On" as some games that don't natively support VRR have glitches when VRR is forced "always on"

I wonder if they will patch the game to work with VRR automatic

Well at least it will be ready for the RTX 60 series if not. But I think Sony is going to start pushing for quicker PC releases very soon since shareholders are basically screaming at them to do so.

Given how well this game runs on base PS5, I imagine anything on par with a 3060 or above will be more than enough for it. It is UE4 though, and UE4 has a rough go on PC in a lot of games due to stuttering.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Hmm...this isn't ideal for me

I prefer leaving that to "automatic" in the PS5 settings instead of "Always On" as some games that don't natively support VRR have glitches when VRR is forced "always on"

I wonder if they will patch the game to work with VRR automatic

Given how well this game runs on base PS5, I imagine anything on par with a 3060 or above will be more than enough for it. It is UE4 though, and UE4 has a rough go on PC in a lot of games due to stuttering.
Oh, I mean automatic should cover it. I thought you were asking if it would work with VRR set to off on the ps5.

Oct 27, 2017
United States

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
He's wrong. He just doesn't understand the combat system. It's not lag. It's all by design. Now whether or not you appreciate the design is another thing.

Yeah, I agree that it is by design (and not traditional 'latency').I personally thought it felt awful in the demo and certainly not to my taste which makes the game an easy pass.

Glad to hear the performance is good though, can't say I had any issues with that in the demo.