iTehDroiD

Oct 28, 2017
I love me some good object based motion blur. While Doom and God of War have great motion blur, Uncharted 4 for example has a low sample implementation that doesn't look great at all imo.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this Dictator :D

Object Motion blur at high framerate is absolutely fantastic, Tekken 6 was the first time I saw a high quality object blur in a 60FPS game and it blew me away, primarily cause my PC wasn't able to run Crysis at 60FPS back then and most other games were either console games locked at 30FPS or didn't have good implementation of it.

Doom, Cry Engine games and recent COD games (especially Infinite Warfare) have some of my favourite implementation of OBM. There are games where I'd have liked to see OBM properly implemented like it is in the games I mentioned previousl like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Witcher 3 (this is a weird one as it disables even camera motion blur outside of few areas) , some Ubisoft games like Wildlands and Assassin's Creed and the Frostbite games (some of these games do have it but it's not good enough imo and not comparable to the games I mentioned earlier in terms of quality).

Last edited:

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Without motion blur I can appreciate details etc around me and the surroundings while also in motion esp in third person

With motion blur I have to stand still each time to take in the visuals because it's a incomprehensible blurry mess in motion with motion blur

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Now I can finally shut up about it!

lol

neva

:D
Thank you for this Dictator :D

Doom, Cry Engine games and recent COD games (especially Infinite Warfare) have some of my favourite implementation of OBM.
They completely toned down the obmb in infinite warfare I think between beta an dfull game... which made me sad. I have yet to give it a try though really.
Regarding the Witcher 3 - on PC i managed to modify some files, and well others did eventually too, which add in the full proper camera blur in all scenes in the game.

Desux MKD on PC has per object blur on at all times I am pretty sure, just never on console sadly.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh hell yeah. Every game I play I rack that motion blur up to max. Motion blur in games like Forza is especially fucking good.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
will watch later so i can have a better understanding. but as i now and what i know of motion blur, that shit gets turned off in every single game that gives me the option.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
will watch later so i can have a better understanding. but as i now and what i know of motion blur, that shit gets turned off in every single game that gives me the option.
In general I turn it off unless I know the game has well-implemented per-object motion blur. I tend to dislike camera motion blur in most games and turn it off for performance.

That said, I'll still watch the video because these tech focus features are great.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
This video also reminds me of how terrible the motion blur was in Halo 3, which was literally just the same imaged copied and pasted like how it looks when a Windows 95 computer crashes.

Oct 29, 2017
Motion blur is probably my favourite visual effect. Even the really basic implementations you see in games like Majora's Mask and CBFD on the N64 are really pleasing to the eye. It can be great for adding a layer of realism or a touch of artistic flair in many a game!

Modern OBMB is absolutely amazing... but of course, like any special effect, is only as good as its implementation. FF Type 0 is the perfect example of how it can go horribly wrong; while games like Bayonetta and Smash Bros benefit from having the visuals being as sharp, clear and readable as possible, so OBMB isn't a good fit there.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Screen motion blur sucks, but per object motion blur looks really nice when done right, like the OG Crysis had some nice motion blur, made the dips below 30 manageable

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The short answer is yes. It's very good for gaming, especially for 30fps games. I don't get people who play without it. Do you really want to feel every dropped frame and jank that much more?

It seriously reminds me of the Geforce 3 days when anti-aliasing was starting to become reasonable (performance-wise) to use and the vocal number of people who refused to use it because if they weren't seeing every single pixel, they weren't getting a complete image. What a load of shit that was. Motion blur is crucial to delivering a smooth experience for the eyes just as much as anti-aliasing is.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally motion blur only starts looking really good at like 100+ fps

Before then it largely looks a lot like Vaseline being smeared on the screen. These days it's mostly a visual trick to make 30fps not look like sluggish vomit. It doesn't help all that much because it still /feels/ like sluggish vomit, though

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I feel like the offender for me is camera motion blur. It's rarely done right. I love per-object motion blur, but think it benefits most from a very high sample count.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those user preference things. Personally I play with it on at whatever the dev dialled it into, but will defend user side controls if necessary. Occasionally come across an engineer or producer who questions the need, but using the phrase "motion sickness" usually fixes that one.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
LCD as a technology has a large inherent motion blur. Adding more seems redundant. It'd make more sense after we have a display technology that is already motion blur free.

plast

Oct 25, 2017
Nice video. I like the suggestion that devs should let us have more control over the blur and its types. More options is always a good thing. Any sort of camera blur will always stay completely off for me, though. And to be honest, I don't even notice per object blur.

It seriously reminds me of the Geforce 3 days when anti-aliasing was starting to become reasonable (performance-wise) to use and the vocal number of people who refused to use it because if they weren't seeing every single pixel, they weren't getting a complete image. What a load of shit that was. Motion blur is crucial to delivering a smooth experience for the eyes just as much as anti-aliasing is.

Crucial? Nah, not for everyone. And AA stays off too ;)

TSM said:
LCD as a technology has a large inherent motion blur. Adding more seems redundant. It'd make more sense after we have a display technology that is already motion blur free.
Oh, and this too. We already have too much blur as it is.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
As it is with almost all things, good implementation is good, bad implementation is bad (duh).

The only thing that is objectively bad and I'll bitchslap anyone that dare to defend it is Chromatic Aberration.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh no ... I turn it off in all cases if they let me. I don't care if I'm getting 30000 FPS it's going off!

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I hate anything that makes my screen blurry. Motion blur, depth of field etc I always turn that shit off in PC games. I play Street Fighter V on PC on medium settings because high/maximum have motion blur and it looks awful. I can't understand how people play like this. Thankfully SFV doesn't have motion blur on PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to lower or turn off motion blur when I can. I prefer the clarity. Occasionally in small tasteful amounts it can look good. It's more common to see bad implementation than good. It gets slathered on pretty thick.

Meanwhile I'm hoping Halo Reach gets surprise added to the MCC in 60fps when it relaunches later this year because the blur is so strong I'm finding it hard to tolerate a replay.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hated the motion blur implementation in God of War, in addition to the CB rendering it just totally ruined any detail in motion.

But on the flipside I absolutely love it in Shadow of the Colossus, where it really brings depth to all that foliage.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
Nothing worse than motion blur ghosting objects. I rarely see good implemtation.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I hated the motion blur implementation in God of War, in addition to the CB rendering it just totally ruined any detail in motion.

But on the flipside I absolutely love it in Shadow of the Colossus, where it really brings depth to all that foliage.
I actually thought the motion blur in God of War wasn't strong enough. Santa Monica had a hand in developing The Order: 1886 so I was hoping they would have used what they used there. The Order: 1886 is the high bar for motion blur this gen, really fantastic.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
camera motion blur ruins games. can't play state of decay 2 or prey because of their shit motion blur whenever you turn the camera.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Motion blur has ruined many games for me. The latest being Ratchet & Clank.

As long as they have an option to turn it off i wont complain, but when there isnt its annoying. Most of the time it turns to a soupy mess when you turn the camera.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this video since the day Alex joined DF. I'm a huge fan of the effect when done well and think it's pretty much mandatory in 30fps games.