• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I've never understood the concept of spending money to buy a game that you don't plan on playing imminently.

Sales and deals happen all the time where someone will pick something up that they intend to play but maybe not right away but don't also want to pass up a good deal. Also life happens where maybe you intended to play and you didn't get to or even you started but something else happened and you don't get back to it. There are plenty of scenarios where you have a game that you don't play immediately. PlayStation Plus gives you multiple games every month. I get those immediately because if I don't, they go away. That doesn't mean I intend to play them immediately because I grabbed the games I'm paying for.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
I can tell you don't play on PC.

Not significantly, although I am currently playing Hades and recently The Last Campfire on my MacBook.

Do PC gamers commonly buy games, don't play them for a decade, but continue to get excited about the future prospect of playing them? Genuine question, I'm not deep into the PC gaming culture so I really don't know. If that's the case, then I stand corrected, I just find it hard to believe it's not extremely niche behaviour.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Not significantly, although I am currently playing Hades and recently The Last Campfire on my MacBook.

Do PC gamers commonly buy games, don't play them for a decade, but continue to get excited about the future prospect of playing them? Genuine question, I'm not deep into the PC gaming culture so I really don't know. If that's the case, then I stand corrected, I just find it hard to believe it's not extremely niche behaviour.
Among enthusiasts, I wouldn't be surprised given the ridiculous deals, bundles, and straight-up free games. Whether you want to argue that enthusiasts are niche is your call to be fair.

As an aside, Steam tells me I have 270 unplayed games lol. And that's just Steam. I think this is why many PC gamers refer to their "backlog" as a library.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
Among enthusiasts, I wouldn't be surprised given the ridiculous deals, bundles, and straight-up free games. Whether you want to argue that enthusiasts are niche is your call to be fair.

As an aside, Steam tells me I have 270 unplayed games lol. And that's just Steam. I think this is why many PC gamers refer to their "backlog" as a library.

Sure, I get that. I also bought that BLM bundle that was like 1000+ games, of which I didn't touch. But I don't consider it a "backlog" and I would never get excited about the potential of playing them in the future with better frame rates, therefore that kind of thing is not really relevant to my initial point. Which was my lack of understanding for the hype of buying a new console to play older games with slightly better fidelity, that were not designed for and don't take advantage, in any significant way, of the console's architecture.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
When running in Backwards compatibility, it's been confirmed by Microsoft as not using any of the RDNA2 features of the CPU/GPU;
A lot of "architecture improvements" are things like cache sizes, bandwidth savers, execution units configuration etc. Which mostly don't /can't be selectively disabled like that.
While there obviously are features you need to specifically enable through code (or at least a recompile) this is "blast processing" class of PR...

will the higher frequency help if the value are static using ps4 retro on ps5?
While allocation doesn't literally work like that, sufficiently low level code on ps4/xb1 did impose limitation on number of active CUs in BC mode, and they required a recompile patch to enable "full" GPU access.
Frequency meanwhile is purely a system level control, so yes, if PS5 allows BC games to run full 2.3ghz tilt it will make quite a difference.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No need for ad hominem attacks, don't see how my comment warranted that.

That's fine, but I can't imagine many people go out and buy games and then don't play them until 9 years later.

Actually, I've never understood the concept of spending money to buy a game that you don't plan on playing imminently.
I bought MHW, played it for about 40 minutes then thought I'd refund it or take it up again at some point

Same with Crash Team Racing

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
That's fine, but I can't imagine many people go out and buy games and then don't play them until 9 years later.

With the amount of backlog most of us have, you can absolutely bet that reducing games load times by 80%~ is a deal breaker. Games like RDR2, MHW, CTR, GTA5, Destiny 2 etc benefit greatly from this and don't just become bad games because years have passed. RDR2 is a once in a generation title, for example.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
if we get between 1440p 60FPS - 4K 60fps pretty constantly this gen, I would be a happy camper

if the game cant do 60 at 4k, then just have a performance mode, but I really do hope theres a 60fps option always

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
No need for ad hominem attacks, don't see how my comment warranted that.

Term of endearment old boy, not an attack, just comedic language to go with my point

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Sales and deals happen all the time where someone will pick something up that they intend to play but maybe not right away but don't also want to pass up a good deal. Also life happens where maybe you intended to play and you didn't get to or even you started but something else happened and you don't get back to it. There are plenty of scenarios where you have a game that you don't play immediately. PlayStation Plus gives you multiple games every month. I get those immediately because if I don't, they go away. That doesn't mean I intend to play them immediately because I grabbed the games I'm paying for.
Yep, you are spot on about this. I take advantage of sales/deals whenever I can because I don't want to spend full price for every game I buy as well, definitely for games I wouldn't pay full price for to begin with. Plus if I don't like the game I wouldn't feel as bad as buying it cheap compared to full price.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
I hope it's easy for devs to patch in uncapped frame rate modes without much work but i guess it's not that easy

According to Microsoft, it's about three lines of code to detect if an XBox One title is running on a Series X|S and can switch to 60FPS:

This is how Xbox Series S backwards compatibility really works • Eurogamer.net

"We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."

"There's no real perf tuning necessary when you do this, and so often it's just as easy as changing three lines of code, and then the game works." Goossen adds. "Even when it's not that easy, the fixes are still pretty minor. We had one triple-A title where doubling the frame-rate really worked perfectly, except that the crowd animation was twice as fast as normal. And so, those sorts of fixes are typically very, very easy for developers to go fix. We're working with game developers and publishers to update [their titles]. It'll basically be select games that run at a doubled frame-rate on the Series S."

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Microsoft really makes a great effort to provide excellent BC. I can only hope they'll push Sony to go the extra mile and update all first party PS4 titles and most of the popular third party ones so that they run better on PS5.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am checking out Jez his game recording stuff. He is playing Monster Hunter alot on his series x

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I used to which is why my steam library is huge, the old steam sales were kind of addictive, not so much these days

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I've been out of the Xbox ecosystem for a good few years now but I'm considering a Series S. I've a question about backwards compatibility on the Series S.

As it is a digital only machine, is there any way to validate you own 360 games and get a digital copy? Or, is it simply that you just have to rebuy them?

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of the Xbox ecosystem for a good few years now but I'm considering a Series S. I've a question about backwards compatibility on the Series S.

As it is a digital only machine, is there any way to validate you own 360 games and get a digital copy? Or, is it simply that you just have to rebuy them?

Do you mean physical to digital copy? I dont't think so. But if you have 360 games which are in the BC program you can play them on a One or Series console.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

need to rebuy, unfortunately

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
8-DB58-E21-DF78-4-FE0-8-C89-B56-BCEDABD40.jpg

This and ps5 are going to be absolutely controlled drip feed through to launch, aren't they?

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
Would like to see how fast Witcher 3 loads on the Series X, its faster but still sloooow on the One X internal / external SSD

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm in the same boat and would love an easy and cheap solution for this but I don't have hope.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I want to see Killer Instinct running on Series X with HDR...Im guessing that would have basically zero load times too.