• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I experienced the Tetris Effect from making this video. 10+ hours of capture. :-X

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
My Tetris experience is typically once every few generations and it's always such a pure and good experience, haha. Gameboy Tetris to Tetris DS and now Tetris Effect, which is just hypnotic in VR.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gameboy Tetris is the best tetris

d0db60afd28a7bace47598990cbfa75f.gif

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
No Tetris Attack? Okay, I know, that's really only Tetris in name. It's even less Tetris than the N64 game.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Not a word on Puyo Puyo Tetris which is probably the most successful/popular Tetris game of the last decade lol

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Tetris Effect is something special, alright. Mizuguchi is still a gaming god in my eyes -- his pursuit of synesthesia has been one of the most interesting undercurrents I've followed in all of gaming and he continuously creates games that just, like, chill me the fuck out, man.

Tetris Effect is simultaneously my favorite Tetris and Mizuguchi game... And honestly it's likely to be my GOTY. Truly.

Not a word on Puyo Puyo Tetris which is probably the most successful/popular Tetris game of the last decade lol
At least it got footage in there, but honestly, there's not really much to say about it in terms of artistic, technical or design innovations, beyond the obvious vs. gimmick. It's great that it was a success and a reminder of its endurance as a game, but it's pretty safe in terms of its aims.

Great work, Dark1x , but I must admit that I was close to throwing a chair if Tetrisphere went unmentioned. You're right that it's barely a Tetris game, but man, what a wild and fun game it is all the same.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Mickey magical tetris challenge 64? Sad. Anw, watching now and great video. I played much tetris too, but my favorite was nes tetris.

Last edited:

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Yeah, I basically ran out of steam. Grinding through this video yesterday and this morning did a number on me.
Disappointed that I didn't see you cover one of the other Dreamcast Tetris games, The Next Tetris, so I could see you have a go with the now revived online mode.

And yeah, let's not leave out Tetris' biggest contribution in a non gaming context.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be watching this for sure. I love Tetris. There have been some clunkers in the past (Tetris "Ultimate", ugh), but I'll never pass the chance of playing some Tetris. Oldschool, newschool. Anything with the 7 original tetriminoes.

Well, mostly. Oddly enough, Tetris Effect is the first and only Tetris game I've actively disliked. That's just not Tetris for me.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
At least it got footage in there, but honestly, there's not really much to say about it in terms of artistic, technical or design innovations, beyond the obvious vs. gimmick. It's great that it was a success and a reminder of its endurance as a game, but it's pretty safe in terms of its aims.

Great work, Dark1x , but I must admit that I was close to throwing a chair if Tetrisphere went unmentioned. You're right that it's barely a Tetris game, but man, what a wild and fun game it is all the same.

It brought a lot of modes but in general i think it deserves more recognition, as it made Tetris and Puyo Puyo great party games on top of the more competitive and relaxing modes.

While games like Tetris Effect achieve only the relaxing part, the whole background and the effects seem very distracting for pro players, and because of that i don't think it will be as popular in the long term.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching, still absolutely adore Tetris DS and is still unbeaten, but man does Puyo Puyo Tetris come close!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the whole thing. A great history of Tetris, super well-produced, and makes me really excited to play Tetris Effect at some point.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Tetris Effect is completely freaking incredible. I've got goosebumps countless times playing it in VR last night. Thanks for this video John, will watch now.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this video! Would love to see more like it!

Anyone know of any good free Tetris games out there?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed that I didn't see you cover one of the other Dreamcast Tetris games, The Next Tetris, so I could see you have a go with the now revived online mode.

And yeah, let's not leave out Tetris' biggest contribution in a non gaming context.

Yeah, the issue is that my DC laser does not read CDRs (the one that did no longer works) so I could only rely on original discs for this one. :-(