-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox as a console doesn't seem desirable at all given the output so far. xcloud being available everywhere eventually isn't helping the console case. Now if we're talking Xbox as a platform that includes xcloud, I will say this, and I'm sure others feel similarly. I think it's a great thing, a great service, even if price creep is inevitable. But the games just aren't there. And they likely won't be for a long time. I love that they're doing it and pushing it and investing in it, but my ideal state is one of the other platforms doing similarly and as well as MS. MS games I feel like appeal to a certain base, and that base is not me.

But again I like the gamepass model and although I'm skeptical that it will get the games I want (basically any big non MS game), I hope it's a model that finds continued and growing success. Will stick with my ps5 this gen but next gen you never know. Open to whatever provides me savings, flexibility, and the games I actually want.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
it is the thing that makes the xbox ecosystem uniquely enticing to a user so yeah
I mean sure but we'll see about it being the long term best option, that's really entirely subjective. I also see this future talk with Xbox a lot, until they actually do it then it doesn't make much difference. When that will happen who knows, unlikely it's this year though, most likely next year we'll see what they can deliver. I hope it satisfies people's expectations lol.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
While Xbox keeps losing stuff like 13 Sentinels, Persona and Nioh, my answer is still a no.
How can you lose stuff you never had or owned ?
But otherwise you arent wrong.
This is a silly statement. People need to stop acting like everybody has the money for gaming rigs. They don't.
But everyone has money for a new console and/or a new TV ? People have been owning Gaming PCs for ages and they will ALWAYS offer more and than any console out there and people are willing to pay the extra price for it. You dont need the latest gaming rig to play console-level games on a system.

Having that said, PS5 and XSX really offer alot bang for your buck.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Cost and crossover

Both have great games but buying both is a large outlay when most games can be played on both consoles

Pay £500 and play 95% of games or pay £1000 to play 100% of games

Cool for those making (or able to make) the investment now, but it's just as feasible to pick up one now and get the other in a few years time when it costs less
That's my plan. PS5 is stronger out of the gate, so went with that now. Will pick up the Series X hardware revision in a few years once the Zenimax deal starts to bear fruit

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Good news is that Microsoft still offers you the choice to buy digital and physical games. And with digital games you own, you can even stream them on your TV if you own a PC soon. This means buying a Microsoft exclusive on your PC will grant you access to playing it on xCloud.

So you don't need to buy an Xbox, which I think is great as there is now more choice. Hardware isn't the focus, the player seems to be.

And Game Pass isn't for everyone. Nothing wrong with that.

The way MIcrosoft's ecosystem is developing, every Microsoft gaming thread will be about Game Pass. 5% of the bonus of Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella is tied to Game Pass growth. That's the core gaming strategy for Microsoft.
Xbox is really the gamepass brand now or at least that's what Microsoft wants. They want a service war because that's where they back themselves, I can't say that's a bad strategy lol.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a Series S for Gamepass and 20 years of Xbox exclusives to play catch up on, as well as what looks like a solid first party line up for this gen, but I'm deep in the Sony ecosystem so will get a PS5 when they revise it so it's smaller/less ugly

Gamepass is a great deal but I still prefer to own digital games over renting them

This is the generation Microsoft finally got me to get an Xbox though, so they're doing something right

I agree with a lot in this post
I skipped the Xbox One generation and I've just got a Series S with Gamepass, to play on my 1080p TV
Great value, especially considering all the first party outputs we can imagine nowadays

PS5 will be in house later on in a couple of years, with a Slim version (smaller and cheaper, I hope) and at that point many first party exclusives will be available for a reasonable price too (I'm not gonna pay 80 bucks for a game, while I'll buy Horizon 2 at 40 bucks in 2023)

May 19, 2020
I mean sure but we'll see about it being the long term best option, that's really entirely subjective. I also see this future talk with Xbox a lot, until they actually do it then it doesn't make much difference. When that will happen who knows, unlikely it's this year though, most likely next year we'll see what they can deliver. I hope it satisfies people's expectations lol.
i had zero interest in xbox until that low entry point compromise box came around (Series S). i have no desire to invest anymore than that in the xbox ecosystem and MS doesn't care . they just want me in the system regardless of my investment level. they are, simply put, that desperate to have people like me lol

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In my opinion, Microsoft has always had the weakest library of the big 3,and i only have but so much time.

So no.

Yeah and this is why I never owned an Xbox before, I liked the look of their exclusives but it was never worth buying a whole console for 2/3 IP when my PS3 and then PS4 played 95% of the other games the 360/XB1 played

Xbox has started work on an insane first party library though, so once their new studios start putting their games out they will have a very strong first party

This is the first gen where to me, it's been worth owning a Sony and a MS console and not just one or the other

There are no real losers really, it's shaping up to be a great gen for gamers

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
We are basically on the same page with gamepass too.

Every dollar I spend to rent games through gamepass would be better spent on actually owning my games.
I use to feel this way, but I found I rarely if ever go back and replay games. I just don't see the value in owning a huge game library any more. I'll still snag something cheap in a sale if I haven't beat it and it isn't on game pass, but my game hoarding days are over.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
But everyone has money for a new console and/or a new TV ? People have been owning Gaming PCs for ages and they will ALWAYS offer more and than any console out there and people are willing to pay the extra price for it. You dont need the latest gaming rig to play console-level games on a system.

Having that said, PS5 and XSX really offer alot bang for your buck.

This analogy is silly as well. You aren't building a PC with the same specs as a Series X or PS5 for $500. You aren't building a PC with the same specs as a Series S for $300. Yes, PCs do more, but that's also why they cost more. Saying there's no point in owning an Xbox because MS games will be on PC implies everybody has the budget to build a gaming PC. They don't.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I'm happy to stick with Sony. Their exclusive games are, in my opinion, head and shoulders above anything Microsoft has at the moment. All personal taste in games though.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
i had zero interest in xbox until that low entry point compromise box came around (Series S). i have no desire to invest anymore than that in the xbox ecosystem and MS doesn't care . they just want me in the system regardless of my investment level. they are, simply put, that desperate to have people like me lol
Well yeah, I think they know they can't "win" the traditional console battle and are pivoting to what they are very good at, services.

May 19, 2020
I use to feel this way, but I found I rarely if ever go back and replay games. I just don't see the value in owning a huge game library any more. I'll still snag something cheap in a sale if I haven't beat it and it isn't on game pass, but my game hoarding days are over.
i can't speak for everyone but for me being on lockdown seeing all my game boxes taking up space everyday made me feel like a fucking idiot lol

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this every time Game Pass gets brought up, fix the fucking W10 Store and the Game Pass app and then we'll talk MS. Inexcusable that it's basically never been fully fixed and it feels like it never will.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The counter argument to that is..

Sony can buy studios too
Sony first party games are about as good as you can get in the world of gaming
Dualsense
VR
PS Now improvements
PSPlus games are significantly better than Live free games

All boils down to personal choice though. The real best choice is both.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think those are decent points, but the PS5 in my eyes and perhaps many will still be an adequate single console choice because their first party stuff will likely still be held in high regard even if it's outnumbered. I do own and love both the PS5 and Series X and given Microsoft's stance on backwards compatibility, I feel confident (but not 100% certain, to be clear) that my Xbox library will have PC-like continuity from here on, which to me is massively appealing. That's actually the biggest long term appeal to me.

OP
OP

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm not too big on MS's library and I have a PC, so the PS5 was the obvious choice for me.
Yes you are right in this case. I'm PC Gamer too with gamepass subscription. But i don't buy PS5 for now. i'll wait for a slim version and more exclusives.
I'm really Happy with Xbox games and the main reason are RTS: Age of Empires Is the best IP with Bethesda games, INXILE (i'm playing wasteland3 and it's fantastic) and obsidian

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
The premise of the article is more that the Xbox is a long term must own if you consider yourself a serious gamer. It's not denying Sony's greatness in this space but, per the article, the PS5 is primarily good a doing one thing, delivering Sony's great first party games. Whereas the Xbox delivers an abundance of games, in a variety of ways, for those on the go and not just primarily interested in the solitary gaming experience the PS5 excels in.

Yes, ideally everyone should own both. But, the world is not ideal and if you can do without Sony's games then the Xbox is a great own. Some would say it wasn't like this in the past.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Heaven forbid Xbox be a choice for those who also have a Playstation. I guess we can only have winners and losers in the console arena.

'why not both'

well getting my series s was actually pretty easy. that was up for 10 minutes or so. PS5? those stay up for maybe 30 fucking seconds lol

I think Microsoft will finally have compelling reasons, mainly to do with their large studios now and Game Pass. The hardware corrected itself since the Xbox One X came out.

Microsoft's main problem will continue to be two things, momentum and global market. They just didn't seem ready on the software end with the new hardware and they will continue to struggle in certain regions due to brand awareness.

May 19, 2020
I'll say this every time Game Pass gets brought up, fix the fucking W10 Store and the Game Pass app and then we'll talk MS. Inexcusable that it's basically never been fully fixed and it feels like it never will.
MS only pays lip service to PC, they actually want you to buy Xbox + Gamepass. PC Gamepass is more like a dog bone casually being thrown

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Microsoft have certainly done a much better job at the start of this gen, compared to last time, to present themselves as a very robust and appealing option. With that said, we'll have to wait and see how some of these games turn out before knowing for sure whether these studios (besides a few like Bethesda, we already know their pedigree) deliver or not.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Of course anyone is entitled to their opinions but the reasoning of the authors article is at least weird :
- Xbox and PC connectivity
- Xbox is a better entertaiment machine

The OPs reasoning is much better but it actually has nothing to do with the article lol

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hard to argue with any of that

but Sony exclusives

that's where I'm at anyway, I honestly want to want a Series X but I just don't. definitely curious to see how much variety they're going to offer with all their new first party stuff

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
They should be in a good place for the next generation. Right now, the general public won't follow "potential" but the hype.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This analogy is silly as well. You aren't building a PC with the same specs as a Series X or PS5 for $500. You aren't building a PC with the same specs as a Series S for $300. Yes, PCs do more, but that's also why they cost more. Saying there's no point in owning an Xbox because MS games will be on PC implies everybody has the budget to build a gaming PC. They don't.
Who says anything from building ? The poster was implying that his PC + Switch setup is the way to go....where did he say he has or is about to spend thousands of dollars to build up a new gaming rig ? Most somewhat recent GPUs can handle most multiplattform and GamePass releases.

You are assuming alot of things - not even factoring the fact that a PC offers MUCH more than a console ever will, gaming is just one part of it.
No point in owning a Xbox consoles because of the PC obv. implies that said customers either already has access to a PC or the means to get one that can GamePass content - if you dont have the funds, you are obv. stuck with Series X, Series S, One S or gonna play these games on your phone.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
MS only pays lip service to PC, they actually want you to buy Xbox + Gamepass. PC Gamepass is more like a dog bone casually being thrown

Which is why I will never believe a fucking work Phil says about PC gaming. While I love that the games are on Steam, which is my preferred platform, it shows that they also did this because I feel they have no real intention of fixing their fucking W10 Store, not even for Game Pass.

lol me2, I have over 100 PS4 games sitting on a shelf, I've been contemplating listing them all before they lose all value and being done with it.

I've been trying to sell some collector's editions that are taking up room. TLoU Part 2 Ellie Edition, Days Gone, Octopath Traveler, etc.

May 19, 2020
I think Microsoft will finally have compelling reasons, mainly to do with their large studios now and Game Pass. The hardware corrected itself since the Xbox One X came out.

Microsoft's main problem will continue to be two things, momentum and global market. They just didn't seem ready on the software end with the new hardware and they will continue to struggle in certain regions due to brand awareness.
i think the beancounters at microsoft understand more than anyone they lost the global brand awareness fight with sony and are doubling down on services meant to cater to the american market

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Yep it seemed like the far better value to get a series x first and I've been playing games non stop since I got it in November.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
It remains to be seen what kind of games Microsoft launches. From Sony we already know that every year they will have 1 or 2 Gotys ready. If Micro releases lots of games, but the quality is not up to par, I don't think it's the best short/long-term decision.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
More "it'll get there eventually" rhetoric. I feel like MS has been two years away from greatness since like 2014. Bethesda will certainly help, but their foreseeable lineup aren't even going to be on Xbox for at least a year, unless Starfield manages to hit 2021 or they have something unannounced.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Its also cheaper to buy a Series or One S. Even cheaper to go with xCloud only and the App.

MS has a strong eco system, but the Series X is a luxury option that isnt really needed at this point - if costs are your main concern.
Eh...I mean I need it for the fact it offers 120hz on games that the series s does not.

And I have a 4k tv and still have a collection of 4k UHD movies from when I owned a One X.

OP
OP

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
The ecosystem? Sure. The console? Meh.

Microsoft will be offering plenty of content for their Game Pass subscribers in the coming years. But with PC and xCloud this means the console isn't the long term play. It's part of it, but not essential. If you have bought a PlayStation 5 this holiday, it could very well make sense to subscribe to Xbox Game Pass in 2022 to play all of the games available, via cloud streaming.

Xcloud it's good but installing the games on your storages Is again the best solutio. No lag problems. Some countries don't have a good connection infrastructures

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Who says anything from building ? The poster was implying that his PC + Switch setup is the way to go....where did he say he has or is about to spend thousands of dollars to build up a new gaming rig ? Most somewhat recent GPUs can handle most multiplattform and GamePass releases.

You are assuming alot of things - not even factoring the fact that a PC offers MUCH more than a console ever will, gaming is just one part of it.
No point in owning a Xbox consoles because of the PC obv. implies that said customers either already has access to a PC or the means to get one that can GamePass content - if you dont have the funds, you are obv. stuck with Series X, Series S, One S or gonna play these games on your phone.

The poster literally said there isn't a better time to not buy an Xbox because MS releases all their games on PC. That's a general statement, and it's implying that everybody has access to a capable gaming PC.

And I have a gaming rig so don't talk to me as if I don't know how much PC offers compared to consoles.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I agree they just got so many more studios on so eventually there output will be crazy.

Also even further into the future in like 15/20 years time I can see Sony no longer making hardware and just being a publisher for a streaming service, likely owned by MS.

LMAO, what?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I think it would be a mistake to get an Xbox because you presume it will be the best long term investment. That might be true, especially if you are a fan of some of the specific advantages they have. Although I do think the combination of FPS and RPG is a very compelling one. Still, it's making a decision between what we know Sony will produce and what we think/hope Microsoft will produce.
Why do we behave like 343, Turn 10, Playground, Obsidian, The Coalition, Ninja Theory, iD Software, Bethesda, InXile, Arkane are not proven?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People will try and derail or move this thread elsewhere but if you read the article, there's a couple of key points:

• Its the writers opinion based on their own experience (this shouldn't need to be said....but here, it kinda needs to be said)
  • This is mainly about the integrated platform behind the console, xCloud, Gamepass ultimate, cloud saves being completely cross-platform. On this point any observer should agree that MS (a software/platforms company) is outperforming their competition.
Doesn't mean the above are the most important points to everyone, but they are important points...
Are they though? I see promises lots and lots of promises, they are making but very few that are coming true just yet. Maybe they will and first party issues will be a thing of the past but again that's a ways away and there's no guarentee that the quality will be there.

Why do we behave like 343, Turn 10, Playground, Obsidian, The Coalition, Ninja Theory, iD Software, Bethesda, InXile, Arkane are not proven?
343 isn't proven, they have made one okay halo game and one fairly bad halo game, Gears 5 is okay. Forza games haven't gotten better and imo they have got worst since the 360 days. Playground is a top developer and one of the few they have had that continues to prove it. Nina Theory is a good developer but we haven't seen them under microsoft. ID Software is good as is bethesda but bethesda has had some misses lately and their games are not soon. Arkane is a good developer as well.

Alot of promise, no guarentee it's all going to come through. Microsoft has to prove it and so far they haven't,

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's certainly a very good option for people, hard to say it will be the very best this early though. PS5 is already off to a great start, so if they keep up their momentum with their very popular big budget 1st party games, they will definitely be a contender for the best option too.

If Microsoft can deliver better first party games for this generation compared to last gen, the good competition will benefit both sides.

Prince Akeem

Nov 5, 2017
Gamepass is alot like netflix where there are some GEMS there but there is also alot of meh. I've been a gamepass user for a while and I have had months where 95% of the lineup at the time does nothing for me. Either a bunch of games I have no interest in or games I have already played and beaten more than a year ago.

Gamepass is both great and overrated at the same time if that makes sense.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The poster literally said there isn't a better time to not buy an Xbox because MS releases all their games on PC. That's a general statement, and it's implying that everybody has access to a capable gaming PC.
The statement isnt wrong - via Android app and soon Browser/Smart TV streaming you really wont have to buy a console to access these games. As you said there is obv. still a big market and reasons to buy a consoles - but in terms of necessity he/she isnt wrong...you needed a OG Xbox, 360, One to play most of their games - with the Series S/X the Xbox console is just one of multiple viable access points into that eco system.
Yes because everyone is buying new consoles AND new TV's at the same time.
Talk about missing the point xD

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
hard to argue with any of that

but Sony exclusives

that's where I'm at anyway, I honestly want to want a Series X but I just don't. definitely curious to see how much variety they're going to offer with all their new first party stuff

No harm in waiting

In a few years time Xbox first party output should start to ramp up, and there will likely be a revision as well, so if you wait to 2023 you might be able to get better designed hardware and Gamepass with access to 5/6 great first party games with another 3/4 coming out each year

In the mean time, you have Sony first party and 95% of games on PS5 are also on Xbox anyway, so you won't miss out on much

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
i think the beancounters at microsoft understand more than anyone they lost the global brand awareness fight with sony and are doubling down on services meant to cater to the american market

xcloud could potentially be a thing globally, same with Game Pass, but Nintendo and Sony are also hitting their strides. We finally have all three looking to fire on all cylinders.
More "it'll get there eventually" rhetoric. I feel like MS has been two years away from greatness since like 2014. Bethesda will certainly help, but their foreseeable lineup aren't even going to be on Xbox for at least a year, unless Starfield manages to hit 2021 or they have something unannounced.

In 2014 were we hearing the same comments and support from Microsoft's CEO? Did Microsoft have all these studios they have now in 2014?
Sure.

If we assume based on faith that Microsoft will suddenly become far better at managing their studios and delivering great games, then they should be near unstoppable.

I'm not really sure why anyone should assume that though. I bought an XSX day one and expect Microsoft's first party output to improve over this generation, but the recent history for Microsoft and Bethesda is lots of potential amounting to not that much.
Then why did get an XSX? Especially after reading so many negative comments from you about Game Pass and are a PC gamer?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is alot like netflix where there are some GEMS there but there is also alot of meh. I've been a gamepass user for a while and I have had months where 95% of the lineup at the time does nothing for me. Either a bunch of games I have no interest in or games I have already played and beaten more than a year ago.

Gamepass is both great and overrated at the same time if that makes sense.
Just like with any subscription service, I only sub to it when there is something to play on it (i.e doom eternal).

Unlike ps plus or xbox gold, there really isn't any incentive to stay subscribed for any longer then you need to (unless you got that 3 year deal a while back).