• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody's serious about the feathers thing. It's just a joke based on the scientific fact that featherless dinos are cooler and it has nothing to do them being that way throughout my childhood.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think feathered dinosaurs are awesome. I love the super colorful depictions of feathered dinosaurs, it'd be amazing to see one in real life.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I said it seemed to correlate, but that the correlation had substance.

I find pretty often that these folks are quite earnest in their frustration, and that usually they also hold some strong opinions about masculinity/toughness- hence the correlation I was suggesting.

If that's not accurate to you, then I guess you're not the sort of pertain I'm referring to.
2i70SIyl.png

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
I think a more controversial thing would be a good portion of the lefts denial of IQ and the G-Factor, mainly because of its association with race science etc. which is a good thing to combat, but the consensus of behavior geneticists today is that the G-factor exists and is highly hereitable

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think a more controversial thing would be a good portion of the lefts denial of IQ and the G-Factor, mainly because of its association with race science etc. which is a good thing to combat, but the consensus of behavior geneticists today is that the G-factor exists and is highly hereitable
Wait, what is the G-factor?

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Birds are cooler than dinosaurs anyway and I can scream at them in real life. I can't scream at no dinosaur in my day to day life!

Oct 26, 2017
It's also funny how the t-rex was this super cool badass apex predator which was, importantly, living on what is now North America. And then it was suggested that not only did it have feathers, it was probably mostly a scavenger or only feeding on large, slow dinosaurs because it was too bulky to actually do much hunting itself... and for some reason people tended to ignore that the All-American Tyrannosaurus King Of The Dinosaurs was kind of a bully.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also the vast majority of users here are "90s kids" who grew up around Jurassic Park so it is a very personal thing to them that's harmless in the big picture.

Wouldn't worry too much about it.

This. Also, feathers are hard to animate right now, so I doubt we will see them anytime soon in the mass media.

No one is denying, anyone who claims so is just a troll. People just like the scaley skin dinos we grew up with.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i was stoked Trevorrow said there weren't gonna be feathers in the new JP, cuz who needs or wants scientific accuracy in a movie about dinosaurs coming back to life and killing a bunch of hapless goofballs? after seeing that last one though ugh, go to town. give em feathers, make them glow in the dark, deck em out in Supreme box logo tees, Google Glass, who cares. whole thing is a wash now smfh. bring back theS

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think feathers kinda messes with the imagination a bit. Like scaly dinos its kinda easy to look at bones and diagrams and imagine what they looked like as a reptile but throw feathers into the mix and it gets a bit crazy. I don't ever seem to see a consensus on 'how' feathered dinosaurs were with some artists giving them a bit of a flourish to others decking them out with full peacock regalia and beaks too.

Plus Big Bird has trained generations that large feathered bipeds are a friend to children everywhere. Not scary!

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Intelligence may be heritable and IQ test can be poor measures of intelligence. These are not conflicting theories or ideas.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
OP, we just had that awesome thread about dinosaurs reacting to the meteor yesterday and you had to come and ruin the fun 😡

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit that dinosaurs have feathers, but I hate to admit it.

It's of little consequence in the grand scheme of things, and it makes dinosaurs look silly. All these cool depictions of dinosaurs from my youth and now they look like scruffy turkeys.
Giant birds would be fucking horrifying. Have you seen what chickens do to mice? The biggest problem is that there are no authentic representations in modern society to actually contrast and compare to the lizard like versions (which still exist even with bird related relatives being real.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Some dinosaurs had feathers.
Isn't that the thing, some had feathers, some had scales. I think I heard the ones most likely to have feathers were the predatory ones (raptors, T-Rex...) while the herbivore ones were scaly.

If anything, I think the bigger blow to my childhood is that flying Dinosaurs aren't considered "Dinosaurs" at all. Pterosaurs =/= Dinosaurs. WTF?!

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Feathered dinosaurs look so much cooler. Come at me.

It's just a shame that the T-Rex apparently wasn't covered in feathers.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Expectation:
8755af0114bc2dc7c300130b07e32828

Reality:
Dino-Chicken--55286.jpg

Everyone expects dinosaurs to be dangerous awe inspiring monsters but in truth they were just especially dumb oversized iguanas that sat on their asses all day.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
American Alligators even have feather keratin as embryos but the feathers never grow beyond that point. Much like human gills that never develop but are coded in our DNA.

Deleted member 23075

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Listen, if dinos had feathers they could have flown away from the asteroid.

They would still be here, and we wouldn't.

So no, they obviously didn't have feathers.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Listen, if dinos had feathers they could have flown away from the asteroid.

They would still be here, and we wouldn't.

So no, they obviously didn't have feathers.
But they are still here...

1558473862.jpg

Even alligators still have feathers coded in their DNA that don't get expressed anymore.

Chickens have DNA for teeth that they never develop because the traits that form a beak a more dominant and carried by every chicken and at passed on 100% of the time. But they still have the old code that never gets activated in there.

Chickens and alligators share common genetic ancestry.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Went down a rabbit hole....

This is terrifying. I thought "retro-viruses" that rewrote your DNA causing physical mutation were science fiction... Imagine a virus that affected people, causing the reactivation of latent DNA...

Harris proved this by engineering a virus to mimic the molecular signals of the mutation and caused normal chickens to briefly develop teeth that were then reabsorbed into the beak.