• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory drive-by posting.
Isnt the maker of this game like a bunch of hardcore Stalinists? Like not just communism, but Stalinism?

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Hardcore mode will be great for when I finally decide to replay the game.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Sounds fucking awesome. I'm not sure I'm ready to dive in for a second playthrough quite yet, but I'll definitely try hardcore mode when I do. It looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still need to finish my first playthrough. Life has been getting in the way but I can't wait to sit down with this modern classic again.
Hardcore will have to wait for another time.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Isnt the maker of this game like a bunch of hardcore Stalinists? Like not just communism, but Stalinism?

What is the point of posting something like this? I don't mean to be a dick but if you're curious just Google it. Why would you basically spread or start a rumor when the information you want is just a few clicks away?

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Feels weird to jack up the parameters for success on things that are completely random (literal dice rolls), especially for a game that espouses branched failstate coverage.

Like, why would I want the machine to more often arbitrarily decide negative outcomes I have nothing to do with? The dice rolls in this always seemed like a weird caveat anyway.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of posting something like this. I don't mean to be a dick but if you're curious just Google it. Why would you basically spread or start a rumor when the information you want is just a few clicks away?
Nothing wrong with asking the forum to get that info either. I guess they could have worded it a little better, but they only asked a question.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Feels weird to jack up the parameters for success on things that are completely random (literal dice rolls), especially for a game that espouses branched failstate coverage.

Like, why would I want the machine to more often arbitrarily decide negative outcomes I have nothing to do with? The dice rolls in this always seemed like a weird caveat anyway.

Because sometimes it doesn't matter how good, smart or prepared you are. Life will find a way to fuck you 😭

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing wrong with asking the forum to get that info either. I guess they could have worded it a little better, but they only asked a question.

I guess. It's a very specific question.

Like I said, I don't mean to be a dick, just seems weird to me. You can Google it, or you can ask a bunch of strangers and hope someone both knows the answer and is willing to take the time to type it out. Why anyone would choose the latter is a mystery to me.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019

It's not completely random, as the dice rolls are influenced by stats.

You shouldn't approach this game with a min/max mentality. Failure is part of what makes it enjoyable.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019

Like I said, I don't mean to be a dick, just seems weird to me. You can Google it, or you can ask a bunch of strangers and hope someone both knows the answer and is willing to take the time to type it out. Why anyone would choose the latter is a mystery to me.

Poster likely has a personal vendetta with the developer and just want to derail any on-topic discussion.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

This. Leading with a worst assumption about the dev is also suspect imo, but whatever that's nothing new for the internet. Like you said if they're that interested they could research it themselves.

Think I might have to try out this mode for myself, I'm not usually one for hardcore difficulties but this is probably my favorite game in years so it's probably worth the potential slog.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018

Because the negative outcomes in the game are often absolutely hilarious, and failing a bunch only to finally find some success is really satisfying. Playing through a second time, I think it would be pretty easy to try to minmax your way out of failures, just by having a decent idea of which checks are where and how long you can reasonably hold off on them. Making the hardcore mode kind of unfair seems like a good way to force players into failure situations once they already have a strong handle on the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I think asking the forum is honestly faster for a topic like this usually. Googling it would take more time than asking a place full of active informed people.

I also personally rather use that as a starting point, have a discussion, then look up more later if I need to. Asking and answering questions is a function of this place.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
It's not completely random, as the dice rolls are influenced by stats.

You shouldn't approach this game with a min/max mentality. Failure is part of what makes it enjoyable.

I'm not looking to min max anything.

Are the dice rolls seeded in the game?

Like, can I roll something, fail, reload the save and roll and succeed?

Are there dice rolls that result in a killed character that necessitate a save reload?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Are there dice rolls that result in a killed character that necessitate a save reload?

I've not finished the game yet though I do love it so so so much so I haven't experienced anything where somebody died due to a roll outside of my own character that resulted in a loaded save

I may have once save scummed until i was able to beat up a race realist that only had a 3% chance of going through so I can confirm that save scumming does work.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017

I guess they were looking for a value-add to bring back folks that already finished the game, but it doesn't make much sense to me either. Replayability in this comes from trying different character builds. I doubt that anybody played this game and wished there were a hard mode. The game just isn't about difficulty.

Still, I looked at the features to see if they'd bring me back. I want to go back! Give me a reason! As it stands, unless they come out with expansion content or something, I need to take a break before replaying.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I've not finished the game yet though I do love it so so so much so I haven't experienced anything where somebody died due to a roll outside of my own character that resulted in a loaded save

I may have once save scummed until i was able to beat up a race realist that only had a 3% chance of going through so I can confirm that save scumming does work.

Yeah, this is what I mean.

I'm not saying DISCO ELYSIUM IS BAD, but this type of branched path resolution sounds downright Bethesda-like in its implementation.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019

So I take it you haven't played the game, or are these rhetorical questions? The RNG is not seeded. You can reload to avoid a failed check, but it's often more enjoyable to just go with the flow. Many times there are rewards for failure, and negative consequences for success.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You can savescum if you feel cheated out of an unlucky roll. There are ways to lower the success threshold in-game, and many checks can be repeated once you level up the relevant skill.

Even if you take damage due to a failed check, you can heal up immediately before you die as long as you've got a healing item on you. Not all failed checks hurt you either, and some failures are actually more beneficial than succeeding.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
If you can't understand how asking forum members questions is a perfectly normal function of the place, I don't know what to tell you. You are also not obligated to answer.

I think there's more an issue with the first post being very obviously intended to be inflammatory, and then the poster seemingly not coming back to respond, or have anything really to say about the update/game itself.

On that topic, the update is neat! I'll definitely be considering a HARDER-CORE playthrough the next time I experience this masterpiece.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's an rpg. You can be a racist authoritarian if you want. You can be a womanizing MRA preaching about the cock carousel of you want. You can be a super cop with leftist goals if you want

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on my 2nd playthrough and I don't think I've encountered any instant death scenarios related to dice rolls. You can take damage to your morale or health on failed rolls. That could kill you if you have really low stats, but you can also usually heal them quickly before they take full effect and kill you. Even then, the early death possibilities if you start with low health and morale stats like I did are usually pretty funny.

Only instant death I ran into was due to a decision I made that I was advised not to make ahead of time.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
Just finished it yesterday. This might be the best game I've played in a long while. Fucking loved it. Probably gonna give hardcore mode a try.

If you liked the game, I highly recommend this piece from Gamespot with the Lead Writer of the game highlighting some design aspects:

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
On the topic of controller support, they ARE still an indie studio working on a game that almost never came to fruition at all... and console ports are planned for this year.

I think the wise bet is on controller support going live on PC with those console releases. Yet, I kinda think this game was designed for M&K. Controller is going to be a workable option but it might not be the best way to play.