• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be any worse than the Sonic Chronicles Dark Brotherhood overworld music

Battle music in that game is fine but sounds like someone stuck it in the blender

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
sorry I got the winner

funny thing the music is the only thing the game has going for it at times.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Can't be any worse than the Sonic Chronicles Dark Brotherhood overworld music

Battle music in that game is fine but sounds like someone stuck it in the blender

35f88939d2f676c45e19785ddbac6b87.png

what the fuck

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I would still take these over the Chrono Cross battle theme.
I honestly never understood why people hate that theme so much. It's not amazing or anything, but I thought it was... perfectly fine? I kinda like the violins in it. And yet it's consistently brought up as being bad, so... I dunno, I feel like I'm missing something.

And wow this theme in the OP is... something.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I honestly never understood why people hate that theme so much. It's not amazing or anything, but I thought it was... perfectly fine? I kinda like the violins in it. And yet it's consistently brought up as being bad, so... I dunno, I feel like I'm missing something.
The problem is. It gets really repetitive. It was a shame it was even used most of the time for boss fights.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

And wow this theme in the OP is... something.
It's weirdly grating compared to the brilliance of the rest of the soundtrack.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew one of ya'll were gonna do it but first post? SMH

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i don't really mind it. it's like they wanted eurobeat on kazoos

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
The problem is. It gets really repetitive. It was a shame it was even used most of the time for boss fights.
It's weirdly grating compared to the brilliance of the rest of the soundtrack.
I guess I could see that, kind of, but I don't find it to be grating or repetetive really. I like how it's in an uncommon time signature and it has a great beat in spots, while also never letting you get too comfortable with it. TBH both the main battle theme and the main boss theme are some of the weakest tracks on the OST, but they're still good.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I guess I could see that, kind of, but I don't find it to be grating or repetetive really. I like how it's in an uncommon time signature and it has a great beat in spots, while also never letting you get too comfortable with it. TBH both the main battle theme and the main boss theme are some of the weakest tracks on the OST, but they're still good.
The time signature is admittedly probably the one thing I do appreciate about it, but I'm just a sucker for erratic time signatures in general.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the game where the director said people weren't smart enough to understand it when it didn't do well?

Yes it's that one, and it's also literally one of the absolute worst things I have ever beaten. As a note this battle theme appears right after a character was comforting another character about his sister's suicide, it's an absolutely baffling moment.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

The entire OST: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo5mCDONA3OhAyHtkyMz3vmBgfXjpwyeG

It's an obscure Japan only JRPG called Ancient Roman where supposedly the instrumentation got messed up in every single song and it was too late to fix it by the time it got noticed.

edit: From what I remember, part of it is speculation (the game is seriously obscure) based on the fact that there was a soundtrack CD release where all the tracks sound... totally normal with different pitches, and not completely out of tune. The YouTube playlist actually has those so you can compare.

Last edited:

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Probably in the minority, but I didn't like the battle themes for the Gym Leaders in SW/SH at all

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I'm sorry WHAT? SMT4A's battle themes were great. I particularly loved the Divine Powers one.
Can't speak for the rest of the soundtrack, but the normal battle theme is doo doo butter.
Intro is fine, nothing wrong with it
1:10 is just what the fuck
1:24 is a janky transition
1:33 another janky transition
IMO it doesn't mesh well as if there was barely any effort put into the transitions at all which is why I called it a clusterfuck.
Edit: Although i really love the instrument that come in at 1:40 to 1:47, loved SMT4's soundtrack due to that sorta thing

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Bitter Dance from Star Ocean 3 still has the take for me on oddest choice for a battle track. Sakuraba's at his best when he sticks to Prog Rock and Jazz, but this....Oh man. Mind you this is coming from someone who is big time triAce fanboy and love most of Motoi Sakuraba's material he composed.

This track being the lone exception.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the fuck this trash is supposed to be:

It's pretty good for the first 45 seconds then gets awful, and gets even worse when the weird ass screeching kicks in.

Oct 28, 2017

this is legit awful. holy crap.

It's been AGES since I've played this game but IIRC the normal battle themes are layered; during normal gameplay you have to charge a song that plays in the background that is layered onto the default theme so the video posted is not supposed to be heard in isolation. Now I can't recall if they were good or not in practice since you can't find any videos of it online of the normal battle theme variations but in general the whole series of Ar Tonelico does have some amazing boss themes and generally has a high quality soundtrack.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Can't speak for the rest of the soundtrack, but the normal battle theme is doo doo butter.
Intro is fine, nothing wrong with it
1:10 is just what the fuck
1:24 is a janky transition
1:33 another janky transition
IMO it doesn't mesh well as if there was barely any effort put into the transitions at all which is why I called it a clusterfuck.
Edit: Although i really love the instrument that come in at 1:40 to 1:47, loved SMT4's soundtrack due to that sorta thing

Absolutely no.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Nah it's this

I had never liked it but I could never figure out why until I just listened to the Retronauts episode on FFX & they nailed it by calling it the equivalent of a local news at 5 theme.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
www.youtube.com

Chaotic Dance

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean OST - Track XI (CD 1)..."Is that all you got?!"

The entire OST: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo5mCDONA3OhAyHtkyMz3vmBgfXjpwyeG

It's an obscure Japan only JRPG called Ancient Roman where supposedly the instrumentation got messed up in every single song and it was too late to fix it by the time it got noticed.

This is like every game where you're running out of time played simultaneously by a person on 12 cups of coffee.