Oct 27, 2017
It's fine. This is the name on the box of a Lego set guys. It feels sorta weird to have a kids toy have "Slave" in it. It's not like they're changing the name of the ship in all their media. Him being a bad guy isn't relevant to the reason they're changing the name of the set.
As a black dude who had this who literally had this set as a kid, it didn't really bother me. Kids are smart enough to understand these things. It's adults that see the word "slave" and go crazy

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At least give it a new decent name then. Boba Fett's starship is such a cop out.

lywvyv0c7xo51.jpg

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Changing the name is fine, but they're not even doing that. "Boba Fett's Starship" is a description, not a name.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
As a black dude who had this who literally had this set as a kid, it didn't really bother me. Kids are smart enough to understand these things. It's adults that see the word "slave" and go crazy

Yeah I think most kids can handle it fine. I think it's more so Disney doesn't want to have the only toy in the isle associated with slaves, even if it's only in name.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's okay for bad guys to have "bad" names for their ships. We should be able to recognize that the bad guys don't espouse the values of a series. It feels like something only adults would stress about and saying you're doing it for the kids is bullshit imo. Kids know who's bad and who's good and that hurting people is bad and so is slavery. It's adults that have fucked it all up and can't figure out basic morality.

Always find it kind of bullshit that bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe get lumped as the villains a lot of the time even though it's apparently a recognized profession in their universe, while Han a smuggler was categorized as a hero.

Han's journey is from being a self-interested smuggler to a hero so that makes sense. He wasn't really a hero until the end of Star Wars when he came back to save Luke. Prior to that he had left with the money lol. And the whole bounty hunter thing began with them hunting our heroes and heavily linked to the Empire. They even imply some sort of history between Darth Vader and Boba Fett so that's why they are considered bad guys. At the very least they kill or kidnap people for money so they are not straight up good guys.

If I remember my (legends) EU correctly, it was originally a prison patrol ship that eventually wound up Boba's hands.

Yeah it was like a Firespray class attack craft or something for patrolling prison worlds that Jango Fett acquired and heavily modified. I don't think it was ever named Slave I in the movie.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
seems an odd request. Considering the entire skywalker saga is based on Anakin being a slave, his mum being a slave, then in the OT Leia is a slave, and in Last Jedi there are a whole stable full of slave children. Slavery all over the shop. Why be coy about it now? Unless they're trying to rehabilitate Boba Fett into an anti-hero but seems a bit late for that now

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In my defense, I did claim in my first post this is the new Han shot first, in the sense that it's Disney trying to sanitize their villains/antiheroes turned heroes by removing all their less than heroic elements. I consider Bobba a villain because he didn't give a shit who he worked with as long as they paid. It's not like there aren't bounty hunters that turn down certain jobs
Oh I wasn't really making a comment on what you posted specifically, just a quirk of star wars that bothers me.

Han's journey is from being a self-interested smuggler to a hero so that makes sense. He wasn't really a hero until the end of Star Wars when he came back to save Luke. Prior to that he had left with the money lol. And the whole bounty hunter thing began with them hunting our heroes and heavily linked to the Empire. They even imply some sort of history between Darth Vader and Boba Fett so that's why they are considered bad guys. At the very least they kill or kidnap people for money so they are not straight up good guys.
And yet in that Old Republic MMO IIRC smuggler is a light side class while bounty hunter is a dark side one. Which makes no sense to me, I'm talking about the role specifically I suppose more than the two characters.

Oct 27, 2017
seems an odd request. Considering the entire skywalker saga is based on Anakin being a slave, his mum being a slave, then in the OT Leia is a slave, and in Last Jedi there are a whole stable full of slave children. Slavery all over the shop. Why be coy about it now?
I'm just waiting to find out that Phantom Menace was actually edited to add a short scene where Watto pays Anakin and his mom for their work

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Millennial Falcon ==> All Ages Falcon
Death Star ==> Big Not Star
Ghost ==> A Ship
Executor ==> Really Big Ship

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Honestly, I am not concerned about this. I never thought it was a cool name. I am team "ship class=new name" but all Disney really has to do is ignore Boba and tell new stories and problem solved!

edited bad joke out

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I just thought it was some random sci-fi codename moniker like Millenium Falcon that didn't really mean anything other than being kinda ominous sounding. I'm not really affected by it though so can't comment much further other than the new naming is pretty lazy lol

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
seems an odd request. Considering the entire skywalker saga is based on Anakin being a slave, his mum being a slave, then in the OT Leia is a slave, and in Last Jedi there are a whole stable full of slave children. Slavery all over the shop. Why be coy about it now? Unless they're trying to rehabilitate Boba Fett into an anti-hero but seems a bit late for that now

I'm quite certain that Disney is just worried that product being named "Slave 1" could negatively affect it's sales, especially since people who pay for LEGO playsets tend to be parents. They're just worried about making less money.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bet it's going to be an exciting sub plot in Book of Boba where he renames his ship.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Did they not give a reason? How odd. It's entirely inconsequential anyway, the name of the ship doesn't really come up so changing it to something generic as they have isn't an issue.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it was ever named Slave I in the movie.
I was just about to say, I don't think I ever remember it being called that in the movies.
Where does it come from anyway?
I tried to google that but I can only find in universe "answers".

I think it's a terrible name and I'm not sure we have to stick with it just because some hack writer put in some book.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Slave Leia toys to be renamed Jabba's Concubine Leia? (also are slave Leia toys still a thing? Kinda hope not...)

Hoping Book of Boba Fett either gives him a better ship or the justify renaming it even if it's a throwaway line
If I remember correctly, the slave Leia outfit is named the Huttslayer Leia outfit, and that's likely what any Lego Leia figures in that outfit would be called as well, but I don't think there have been any semi recently.

If I remember my (legends) EU correctly, it was originally a prison patrol ship that eventually wound up Boba's hands.
I thought the original story was that Jango was a slave and when he won his freedom his also stole or won the ship, hence the ship's name. It's not "Slave 1" but "Slave Won" as he, a former slave, won his freedom and became something.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Slave Leia toys to be renamed Jabba's Concubine Leia? (also are slave Leia toys still a thing? Kinda hope not...)

There haven't been any for a while, but they must still be allowed because one of the choices in Hasbro's 2020 fan vote for 1/12 scale Star Wars figures was Leia (Huttslayer). The previous release was called (Slave Outfit).

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
How dumb. Why not SLV-1 or something similar? It looks Starwarsy, its an actual name, and it gets rid of the problem.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is so unnecessary unless this is just for LEGO and not actually retconning the name.
It's still Slave 1 on StarWars.com

www.starwars.com

Slave I

A powerful pursuit craft made famous by Jango Fett in the days of the Republic, this ship was inherited by Boba Fett for his career as a bounty hunter. The aged but effective ship is loaded with hidden defensive and offensive weaponry and equipment, and has a reputation earned from decades of...

More than likely the name is not going anywhere in universe.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I'm assuming this is being blown of proportion and they're not actually changing the name of the ship, but if they are then that would be incredibly dumb.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this about changing the lore.

It's Disney and their toy branding department, who are apparently notorious for this stuff. It may not even be about the political stuff. Boba Fett's ship is more "kid friendly".

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I was just about to say, I don't think I ever remember it being called that in the movies.
Where does it come from anyway?
I tried to google that but I can only find in universe "answers".

I think it's a terrible name and I'm not sure we have to stick with it just because some hack writer put in some book.
West End Games Star Wars table top role playing game sourcebook circa 1987. It's where a lot of early Star Wars details come from like ship model names, manufacturing companies, alien race names and planet names and a ton of other stuff come from, it was the earliest official Star Wars Bible. Note it was not given a model name at that time.
It's a cool little time capsule considering it predates the expanded universe books as well