Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"a whopping $17 billion for Marvel across 20 films "

And some of my favorite films of all time. What a steal.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
As a late bloomer to Star Wars ( Watched or original 3 then the prequel ones in one weekend in college ) I've been happy with what Disney has done with it. I really enjoyed all of them but thought the first and second prequel to be on the rather week side. I'm corny but I really liked the whole lava fight scene in the third, but I digress. I was super skeptical after hearing about the acquisition but was 100% sold after seeing the first trailer they put out for the first film. Not surprised they made their money back, and I'm sure it will only continue to make them more.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
we couldn't be more opposites. i think kylo ren is a giant dweeb and can't take him seriously as a major bad guy. i honestly don't really care where they go with his story in the next movie.
Different strokes. Adam Drivers performances over these last two films has been amazing. Excited to see where the character is in Ep.9.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
I've been to their parks and I don't think they have any idea what they are doing. It's so overcrowded, the lines are long for everything, and everyone is buying shit! I don't get it.

But we had a good time....

Dec 12, 2017
Part of me kinda wishes Lucas sat on SW till he passed away.

All the modern SW feels like fan fiction I have no interest in returning to after I have seen them once.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly surprised I thought merchandise alone would have done that sooner.

The article says that the $4 billion is just from the movies. The merchandise isn't part of what they're are counting in that article.

So they spent zero money making the movies, comics , toys and other products?

It was just buying Lucasfilms and everything else got made automatically?

Yeah. They bought Lucasfilm and everything else was basically included free. It was a straight buyout. The $4 billion was just considered the value of Star Wars. The $4 billion got them:

Lucasfilm
Lucasfilm's IPs
Star Wars merchandise rights
Industrial Light and Magic
Skywalker Sound
LucasArts
LucasArts IPs

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me kinda wishes Lucas sat on SW till he passed away.

All the modern SW feels like fan fiction I have no interest in returning to after I have seen them once.

Star Wars fiction has been nothing but fanfic-y bullshit since Dark Empire was first published. At the very least, the fanfic we'ver gotten with TFA and TLJ is way better than the half-baked bullshit of the Prequel Trilogy.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of the post Disney movies have been excellent so far, and I can't wait for Episode IX, The Mandalorian and Rian Johnson's new trilogy.

This was the era of Star Wars I always dreamed about getting after those godawful prequels (although I did really enjoy The Clone Wars).

Now if only the video games were at the same level...

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm sure this isn't standard but a standard business valuation pays you back in 3-5 years. Not saying it's a bad deal and maybe it's amazing for movies but standard business it's pretty average

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Disney had always gotten that property for a steal. Lucas could have asked for much, much more than he did and Disney would have still made its money back on the property

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, this...they made the $4b back from just TFA alone (when factoring in merchandise and blu-ray and digital sales, etc).

They probably got $4b in revenue but not in profit. They still had to put a lot of money into it after buying Lucasfilm.

That's also not counting the share theaters get.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lucasfilm historically has made more money from licensing the brand, Toys/Clothing/Video Games/Books/etc, than they do purely off theatrical releases.

So this number is likely much, much, much, higher.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
They have done okay, but Rey is the worst character they have introduced since Jar Jar Binks. Maybe worse. One of the blandest main characters I have seen in a while.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Lucas obviously gave this away to Disney for a discount. Industrial Light and Magic alone would probably be worth a good chunk of that

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At making good movies. But good on Disney. It makes me so happy that a huge company made its money back! Bravo!

Naw, just Solo by SW standards.

Different kind of fail

tenor.gif