• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Scorsese never insulted the creators, his quotes were about the movie industry as a whole and about how the kind of movies that Disney (and other huge corporations) are making are stifling the variety and originality of the film industry. He didn't go out and say 'People working on Marvel movies are stupid and should feel bad', in fact his arguments were very much in favour of creators being creative.
This is the correct take. I mean I have to looks to South Korea to watch a decent thriller these days. Hollywood focus nowadays are on superhero movies with most of the budget on the actions and CGI meanwhile storytelling and narrative takes a back seat. There is a reason why Parasite, a Korean thriller won worldwide acclaims from both audiences and critics alike this year because Parasite reminded them of some of the best thrillers that Hollywood used to make.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But, respectfully, so what?

Scorsese isn't beholden to Disney and doesn't owe them anything. Even if his words hurt Disney going forward...what is talking to him going to change? It just makes this all look like some gangster/mob shit on Iger's part.
I wouldn't consider a Disney CEO scheduling a wildly publicized meeting with arguably the most prominent filmmaker alive to discuss films to be mob shit, but I think it's okay for us to disagee on that.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't call a Disney CEO scheduling a wildly publicized meeting with arguably the most prominent filmmaker alive to discuss films to be mob shit, but I think it's okay for us to disagee on that.

Ehh, not the public part. I mean the idea of "you speaking out is hurting my business, we need to have a chat" part.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ehh, not the public part. I mean the idea of "you speaking out is hurting my business, we need to have a chat" part.
I still don't think that's an accurate characterization, but it's functional, sure.

Either way, it's Martin Scorsese, not some random film reviewer. I think he can handle himself, especially where movies are concerned.

Dec 31, 2017
MCU fans think Endgame is a Best Picture contender at the Oscars and that Scorsese's comments will somehow cheat them out of this.......talk about a lack of self-awareness!

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is STILL going on?
L5vnp8.gif

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Meanwhile James Cameron is looking for lost cities and treasure in the ocean with his quarter of a billion avatar money.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Scorsese be like:
1BE.gif

I have no idea how that would be relevant. Cinema is not the same standard as haute cuisine, unpaid workers are not the same as crew/writers/directors/actors, and you're not Bobby Flay.
Scorsese >>>>>>> MCU, but I wouldn't exactly call his films "haute cuisine". Maggiano's, maybe.

I'm a MCU fan. I'm also a fan of Scorsese's films that don't happen to be shitty ass Christian Propaganda pieces.
"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a pastor."

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
People really defending a guy who started off his opinion with 'I haven't seen the movies, but this is what I think of them.'

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People seem weirdly surprised to hear that Disney has chosen to address having its hard work and hundreds and thousands of dedicated creators casually insulted by a highly respected, highly visible member of the industry to heavy media coverage. How dare they recognize Martin Scorsese and defend themselves from socially and economically impactful comments.

He is not a random internet troll and recognizing him is not a sign of sensitivity. It's common sense.

"eMbArRaSSiNg"

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Alice, the earlier threads had people saying Martin was jealous. Past his prime. Boomer jokes. And said his ego is what made him lash out at Marvel. It's nonsensical. As is Iger wanting to meet with Marty.

And they weren't shitty! In fact, he went on to praise the creativity and hard work behind the films. He was criticising the industry, not the movies. Saying the movies are thrill rides is not an insult. Saying they don't fit in his regional definition of "cinema" isn't an insult once you realize what he considers "cinema"... he's spoken at length across different documentaries and interviews about what he views as "cinema" and backs it up. "Cinema" means different things to different people especially in NYC.

If read thoroughly, his comments were not shitty towards the studios and companies who make these films. It was critical. That's it. And besides, if he was, so what? Like really, so what? They've been paid already. The MCU is the most successful franchise, ever. They were able to craft a cinematic universe that has never been done before and will probably not be replicated by anyone. Every film prints money. They won. Why get upset to this degree? Do they need validation from everyone?

Or is this REALLY a case of protecting the poor artists who worked on these movies? Because if so, where is this notion when talking about TLJ? Or MOS? Or BvS? Or any other movie that's shat on but has numerous talent that helped make the film? This "concern" for staff and crew only seem to be for the MCU but flies out of the window for everything else. It's disingenuous and fake to me.

And his movies are anything but propaganda pieces for Christianity lol. Many religious people took issue with last temptation of Christ. Silence made the rounds too. He doesn't force you to come to conclusions in either film, so I fail to see the propaganda you see. In fact, most critics don't see it either so you'll have to expound on that for me.

Scorsese, Just like Disney, doesn't need a defense force.

But you're right, the actually shitty comment came from Coppola.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How dare they recognize Martin Scorsese and defend themselves from socially and economically impactful comments.
lmfao this company is going to have three movies released this year that will have made over a billion dollars each. get a grip

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What. That wasn't at all what the intention was behind that film and I'm not sure how that's even the main take away from the portrayal considering the layers of nuance that are woven into both sides of the main conflict. Father Ferreira outright states that the Christians are good willed but ultimately causing those problems at one point. That's a massive oversimplification, but still.

I'm sure there's people that will interpret it that way, but there's people that think Travis Bickel is a cool dude, so you could never help that.

Father Ferreira wasn't really portrayed in a positive light, imo. But like you said, nuances, everyone will look at these films in a different light.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean maybe it results in Scorsese getting involved in a project or two. It's not like they don't have enough projects to go around. Could turn into something cool. idk.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to watch a Scorsese movie where Tony Stark goes coke made and paranoid while accomplishing nothing but his own self destruction.

Shame that movie can't happen.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's been any more infuriatingly petty entertainment news handled in such an infuriatingly continuous way in recent memory. I am far more angry that I simply keep hearing about this shit than any comment from Disney or Scorsese regarding the actual issue could have possibly made me.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's true.

I just don't get why he didn't let the fans "handle" it the way people were doing so here. Don't think Iger even needed to comment.
lmfao this company is going to have three movies released this year that will have made over a billion dollars each. get a grip
I don't really see how that is responsive. I said impactful, not determinative. You "get a grip", whatever that means in this context.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This has gone beyond insanity. Having a single comment about a series of films deeply injure so many people. Fucking hell, it wasn't even an insult.

This is what happens when people tightly tie their fucking identity to what they consume.