• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier today, Electronic Arts chief executive officer Andrew Wilson had a phone call with The Walt Disney Company chief executive Bob Iger about Star Wars: Battlefront II, according to sources familiar with the situation. A few hours after that call, and players are finding that the option to purchase the premium crystals currency is no longer working. EA has now confirmed that it is taking this feature down to address fan concerns just as the game is about to launch worldwide tomorrow. All of this comes after multiple days of outrage from fans who are upset that EA and developer DICE have implemented an online multiplayer system that gives an advantage to people who pay money.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/16/...actions-go-offline-until-ea-can-make-changes/

Oct 27, 2017
rPNCqww.jpg

We wuz saying.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Disney must not be happy at all about how this all went down. I imagine the public perception of anything with their IP on it is more important to them than making loot box money.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
"People are angry about a Star Wars thing. I DO NOT LIKE IT THAT PEOPLE ARE ANGRY ABOUT A STAR WARS THING"

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep
Figured as much. Disney's name getting dragged through the mainstream media got their attention

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User was warned for this post: Please no hot take drive bys. If you have legit concerns about EA please try and express them in a more productive manner
Eat shit, EA.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It probably was a lot like when Palpatine went to check Vader's progress with the Death Star.

Maybe they were better tho.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Disney must not be happy at all about how this all went down. I imagine the public perception of anything with their IP on it is more important to them than making loot box money.

Especially as EA will be taking the money, not Disney. Disney will have just been paid a flat fee for the licence. Disney must be very concerned at damage to the Star Wars brand from EA's actions.

The Gentleman

Oct 27, 2017
With The Last Jedi fast approaching Disney aren't going to want any negativity attached to the franchise.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at EA and Disney.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. Disney is so money mongering of a company, I suppose it was more of a call with the head of Disney telling the EA guy "shit, thought we would pull this one out without anyone saying shit about it". Disney is WAY too much into money to turn down any additional income coming in. I am pretty confident Disney was "all in" on what EA was doing and they probably just talked that it would be best "FOR NOW" to remove it. It clearly will return in some form, no way this game goes it's lifespan without some sort of monetization to take advantage of players willing to buy stuff.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
"Pull the p2w stuff, get those Star Wars fans to buy the game, reimplement it after Christmas so kids and whales waste their money on it. The Disney way."

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Now if only Disney can take the license away.
That was probably talked about. Especially after Disney took back the Marvel license from Gazillion. They're clearly serious about partnering with companies who are going to help with their IP instead of just seemingly like a cash grab.

I am kind of curious what conversations between Disney and Capcom look like after Marvel vs Capcom Infinite though.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The person who thought to make that @disney #gambling image for Facebook is basically like Mulan aiming the cannon at the mountain to cause an avalanche.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that shuts down everyone who said "lol disney doesn't care"

Disney does care. They care for the revenue and how people of the mass market look at their game. With CNN and others making the backlash, they probably told EA to change how they monetize their game in a way that doesn't make too much trouble for them, the game and brand.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If only disney had called about Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite as well
Though maybe they did since we got some changes after all....

Pix

Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine the situation...

Iger: "IF YOU DON'T REMOVE THE MICROTRANSACTIONS, WE'RE PULLING THE LICENSE"

Wilson: "Ok will remove them... but will make them temporary"

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ubisoft could do a pretty cool Star Wars game. Unfortunately I don't trust any of the other studios. Sony would do a great job, but I don't agree with console exclusivity. Maybe CDPR?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Disney are very protective of their image. I can't imagine they liked the recent PR disaster. Even though they probably only have their own selfish reasons for reeling in EA, it's good news for gamers.