Makr

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines

A new animated short has been released by Disney in support for the Make-A-Wish® foundation. It features a Filipino setting and the tradition of 'parol-making' (Christmas latern).

This gave me feels as Disney rarely feature setting from my country (or Southeast Asia in general) but with this and the upcoming Raya and the Last Dragon film, it's looking promising in the future :)

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nice - I love the Disney plus shorts and watched almost all of them recently. Will check this out.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
As a Filipino this was so cool to see.

Learned a lot about my culture through Filipino clubs in high school. They were some of the best parts of my life.

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
That was really touching to watch as well as interesting to learn about a holiday tradition from another part of the world. Those lamps look like they would be fun to make.

OP
OP
Makr

Makr

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
That was really touching to watch as well as interesting to learn about a holiday tradition from another part of the world. Those lamps look like they would be fun to make.

Yeah these parols are really nice. You learn to make them as art projects in school during Christmas time. There is even a contest for the most beautiful and biggest lanterns called 'Giant Lantern Festival' which features big ass lanterns such as these:

2-1.jpg

giant-parol.jpg

lantern.jpg

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah these parols are really nice. You learn to make them as art projects in school during Christmas time. There is even a contest for the most beautiful and biggest lanterns called 'Giant Lantern Festival' which features big ass lanterns such as these:

2-1.jpg

giant-parol.jpg

lantern.jpg
Wow, those are gorgeous!

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Love it! I actually let out a gasp when she dropped Mickey and the ear fell off.

It was beautiful and I love seeing parols hanging in the windows whenever I visited my cousins in Daly City around Christmas (not sure if we'll stop by this year sadly...)

My family used to hang one outside our door when we lived in our old house but I'm wondering if maybe we can hang a smaller one here in our current home 🤔

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a Filipino, this hit WAY too hard. This is like the short Filipino Christmas version of Coco.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
As a Filipino, this really hit hard. Love it. Love how they were able to capture our culture with all the little details in it!

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not crying.

With Float (Pixar short) and this christmas advert it's time for a feature film by Filipinos, Disney please.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Parols are great. I remember feeling really proud of the one I made in the 4th grade for school.

Seanjeezy

Oct 30, 2017
Seattle
Man seeing the grandma made me think about my lola and even though she's been dead for almost 25 years I couldn't help but cry and remember how much I miss her damn you disney...

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Dang it, watching this led me to order the Lola's Mickey plushie on the Disney Store website (has stitches on the ear and a parol logo on one of the feet).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
That was really nice. Kinda miss the Philippines, especially when nearing the Holiday season when all the houses (ours included!) are decked out with lights, decorations and parols

hersheyfan