RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
230124-splash-mountain-se-211p-84e1b1.jpg

230124-dion-cini-trump-banner-disney-cs-se-208p-9909d2.jpg

Walt Disney World has closed its famous Splash Mountain water ride, the Magic Kingdom attraction that for years had been criticized for having racist roots. But not everyone was happy to see the ride go.

It closed Sunday, and by Tuesday, the TikTok hashtag #goodbyesplashmountain had attracted 1.6 million views. Somber tribute videos to the ride set to the song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" — some of which claimed to show visitors' last times riding its log boats over its waterfall with a 45-degree drop — had thousands of likes.

"I will miss you forever. Goodbye, Splash Mountain," read the caption of a video that had more than 1,300 likes Tuesday afternoon.

Another video claims to show a two-plus-hour wait to board on the final day.

Other Disney devotees — some of whom are known as "Disney adults" — looked to capitalize on the ride's closing by listing more than 70 bottles, Mason jars and plastic bags filled with what they claimed to be "Splash Mountain water" on eBay. Some sellers said they swiped the liquid during the ride's last days of operation.

The containers fetched dozens of bids, with some buyers offering to pay more than $50.

The closing of the 30-year-old ride — which Princess Diana visited in 1993 — follows years of calls for change because it features several characters from Disney's 1946 film "Song of the South," which featured racist stereotypes.

The film, set on a plantation, features an elderly Black man known as Uncle Remus who tells traditional African American folk tales to white children cared for by Black servants.

Walter White, the former executive secretary of the NAACP, said the film "helps to perpetuate a dangerously glorified picture of slavery."

In March 2020, Disney Executive Chairman Bob Iger confirmed the film would not appear on the streaming service Disney+ and said it is "not appropriate in today's world," Deadline reported.

That June, Disney announced Splash Mountain would be "reimagined" as Tiana's Bayou Adventure, based on Disney's first Black princess, featured in the 2009 film "The Princess and the Frog."

Tiana's Bayou Adventure will open at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park, in Anaheim, California, in 2024. (It was not immediately clear when Splash Mountain at Disneyland Park closed.)

"The new concept is inclusive — one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year," Disney said in 2020 when it announced the new feature.

The website for Tokyo Disneyland does not indicate whether or when its Splash Mountain ride will close. A representative for Walt Disney World did not immediately respond to questions Tuesday.

A Change.org petition created three years ago that decried Splash Mountain's racist imagery and demanded it be replaced with a ride dedicated to "The Princess and the Frog" garnered more than 21,000 signatures.

"While the ride is considered a beloved classic it's history and storyline are steeped in extremely problematic and stereotypical racist tropes from the 1946 film Song of the South," the petition says.

A counter-petition "To Save Splash Mountain" has attracted more than 99,000 signatures.

"Splash Mountain has never included depictions of slaves or any racist elements and is based solely on historical African folktales that families of all ethnicities have been enjoying for nearly a century," that petition says. "It is absurd to pander to a small group of 'Disney haters' that dont understand the story, and re-theme such a nostalgic ride."

Splash Mountain is no stranger to controversy: In 2018, it made headlines when Walt Disney World banned a man who rode it while holding up a "Trump 2020" sign.
www.nbcnews.com

Disney World closed Splash Mountain after allegations of racism. Not everyone's happy.

On TikTok, tribute videos to Splash Mountain had thousands of likes, and more than 70 containers of water purportedly swiped from the ride were up for sale on eBay.

splash-jpg-1674561675.jpg

On closing day for Splash Mountain at Walt Disney World, wait times exceeded three hours. Fans of the Magic Kingdom's 1989 water log attraction gathered to say goodbye;among them were folks genuinely looking forward to the Tiana's Bayou Adventure re-theme. Then there were the disgruntled extremists who were still clinging to the ride as if it were one of their own Confederate monuments.

With those heightened emotions associated with the latter—something that isn't much of a surprise, considering all the petitions filed against the ride's Princess and the Frog redesign—comes a chance to cash in. And so water allegedly taken from the flume ride has made its way onto eBay, where jars are going anywhere from 20 to 50 bucks a pop. Truly, we've reached the lowest form of South of the South commodification in its long history of doing just that, from the Uncle Remus tales "written" by Joel Chandler Harris in 1880, to the 1946 Disney feature, to the late-1980s creation of Splash Mountain.

I'm not going to mince words here: certain fans' normalization of Splash Mountain as its own entity has downplayed the role Song of the South has within the attraction, claiming it gets an exemption from the story's overt racism because none of its human characters—i.e., the slave storyteller Uncle Remus and his master's children—are featured on the ride, which instead included just the happy-go-lucky animal critters.

Harris might have created the "kindly-type" characters of Uncle Remus and his master's family, but he appropriated the animal folklorefrom slaves, with critter characters like Br'er Rabbit originally serving as allegories for the plight of African Americans during slavery on the path to freedom. Disney Imagineers in the late 1980s were apparently unaware of this and assumed the animated rabbit and friends were fair game to use on Splash Mountain; Disney fans in turn presumed they were unrelated to the racist elements of the original story. In fact, Harris' "of its era" misaligned re-telling of this folklore by a white man inspired another white man, Walt Disney, to commodify Black cultural resistance stories though an idyllic lens of the post-Civil War South.

In 2012, African American literary great Alice Walker wrote in the Georgia Review that "Uncle Remus in the movie saw fit to ignore, basically, his own children and grandchildren in order to pass on our heritage—indeed, our birthright—to patronizing white children who seemed to regard him as a kind of talking teddy bear. I don't know how old I was when I saw this film—probably eight or nine—but I experienced it as a vast alienation, not only from the likes of Uncle Remus—in whom I saw aspects of my father, my mother, in fact all Black people I knew who told these stories—but also from the stories themselves, which, passed into the context of white people's creation, I perceived as meaningless. So there I was, at an early age, separated from my own folk culture by an invention."

Now, Disney did get into it with the Harris estate as Song of the South was set to be released, as noted in the film's notes on Turner Classic Movies—it wasn't happy with his removing a reference to Uncle Remus from the film's title, not disclosing his status on the plantation he worked on, and shifting the era of the film ever so slightly. Which sure, is something for a film released in the mid-'40s, yet Disney kept the African American vernacular as a major plot point to the film; it's embraced by a white child character against his father's wishes. This brings a lot of new context to the story, and to the lyrics of Song of the South tunes like "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah"—which was heavily featured as a staple of Splash Mountain—making lots of Disney World visitors over the years unwitting participants in the easily digestible commodification of Black culture that the movie presented.

Disney carries blame here for pretending thefilm can just be tucked away, aside from the parts that made it money for as long as they did, and hoping audiences wouldn't notice. Select films on Disney+ have begun to feature warning labels, holding certain releases accountable when they contain problematic, outdated material—but Song of the South's fate is a little more complicated. Back when the streamer became available, Deadline shared Disney CEO Bob Iger's response to an audience question regarding the film's absence from Disney+ , and he firmly asserted that the film is "not appropriate in today's world,"which it's not. Distressing, however, is the conjecture of assuring audiences it was a product of its time—despite TCM's chronicle making note of protests upon the film's release, including picket lines that were racially integrated efforts from the National Negro Congress, the American Youth for Democracy, the United Negro & Allied Veterans, and the American Jewish Council at cinemas in major U.S. cities. At the time the NAACP objected to the film, saying that "in an effort neither to offend audiences in the North or South, the production helps to perpetuate a dangerously glorified picture of slavery... [the film] unfortunately gives the impression of an idyllic master-slave relationship which is a distortion of the facts."

Disney's stance of "let's just throw it all away" was not an ideal strategy for addressing the issues that still surround Song of the South—evidenced by the large number of Disney fans who have professed nostalgic loyalty to Splash Mountain. That some showed up in droves to make a quick buck off cups of log flume water affirmed the existence of bigoted fans who feltlike a part of their history was being stolen, inspiring them to circulate petitions against diverse employees at Disney Imagineering and its attempts to create inclusive stories. It's all encapsulated by the hate they hold as represented by the water in jars; they can just look at instead of letting themselves be hit with the cold splash of reality.

Disneyland's Splash Mountain has yet to announce a closure date. Tiana's Bayou Adventure is set to open in 2024.
gizmodo.com

Are People Really Paying for Splash Mountain's Water?

The Walt Disney World attraction closed for its re-theme and some had a funny way of showing they weren't happy about it

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I didn't realize the ride came out the same year I was born. Rip I guess? Buying used water is weird as fuck.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
dude gross

That fucking slime water, hahaha. I always feel like I need a bath after touching the padding on that ride...

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Repurposing the ziplock bags they were handing out is such a good idea LOL

I should find mine and put some tap water in it :P

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
When is the new version opening up?

The one that is based on Princess and the frog if I remember right?

Also damn people must be desperate to buy water like that

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
bittersweet.

I have very fond memories of riding this ride as an 8 year old but also when I was at the park recently it really felt like a ride that had seen better days and the theming was very out of place.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'll miss it, but, yeah, this is overdue.

I'm a little surprised that it sounds like they're retiring the name Splash Mountain, I thought they'd go for Splash Mountain: Subtitle, like other major refits have been Space Mountain: Mission 2/Hyperspace Mountain, and therefore keeping the whole "Florida's Mountain Range" concept intact.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The website for Tokyo Disneyland does not indicate whether or when its Splash Mountain ride will close. A representative for Walt Disney World did not immediately respond to questions Tuesday.

I would assume that eventually it would just for synergistic reasons, but given that Song of the South actually got a home video release in Japan, I wonder if they care enough to change it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd consider it, you can't get that pleasant bromine smell from many other places

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When is the new version opening up?

The one that is based on Princess and the frog if I remember right?

Also damn people must be desperate to buy water like that

Disney adults are weird, Disney even brought back the Figment popcorn bucket this year after the way it broke Epcot last year:
www.resetera.com

Disney Adults and Resellers swarm Epcot for Figment Popcorn Bucket

Lines for the Figment Popcorn Bucket were 6 hours https://www.clickorlando.com/theme-parks/2022/01/14/imagine-waiting-6-hours-for-a-figment-bucket-of-popcorn-at-epcot-its-happening/?outputType=amp Ebay prices have been pretty high. But wait, there’s more. And the artwork of the...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The ride is being rethemed to The Princess and the Frog.
That makes sense and it is an easy fix. The ride is fine the way it is. They just have to change the theme.

Weird thing for people to get upset over.

And even weirder for them to get scammed and buy some toilet water off of eBay to make themselves feel better about it.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
For the better. While working at Pop Century, a lot of right wings idiots came to the resort last year being the racist they are

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
Princess and The Frog taking over is a massive W. I love that animation so much.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
I am kinda surprised that it's being replaced with Princess & the Frog. I liked it, but I'd have assumed they'd replace it with a newer, more popular thing like Moana. I honestly thought Disney didn't care much for it.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Still bums me out that thematically WDW should have been themed to Pocahontas, that plus Tiana back at Disneyland would have been perfect. There's value in having both and sadly It's cheaper to re-theme them both to the same theme.

Well at least Tokyo Disneyland Resort has their splash mountain, for now…

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bittersweet thing- it's obvious that a ride based off of Song of the South has absolutely no place at a theme park, but Splash Mountain was an absolute masterpiece of theming and atmosphere, of the sort that I have no expectation that modern-day Imagineering will match.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll miss Splash Mountain because it is an absolute masterclass in attraction design and has some of the most delightful and charming atmosphere and music ever, but also accept that I don't get to decide whether or not it is okay for it to continue to exist. It's not my place in any way to make that judgement and I also accept and agree that nobody should ever be made fundamentally upset or to feel lesser because of the presence of a themed flume ride.

That said, some of the folks getting weird about saving Splash Mountain was disappointing, but even worse, if I'm honest, were all the people who bandwagoned screeching about how everyone who isn't 100% excited and completely done with Splash is a raging racist and how "the ride is going to be exactly the same afterwards" - it was weirdly reductionist rhetoric in a variety of ways, both to the emotional complexity of replacing a problematic-but-beloved attraction and to the effort and achievement of the theming, scenery design, and storytelling of the original.

It's an emotionally complicated and bittersweet thing to happen and I was honestly more irritated by the reduction of this whole thing to blanket a large group of people as racist and stupid than the few bad eggs in that group itself. All it does is alienate people by painting them with an unpleasant brush when this can be a learning experience for people.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
if you buy one of those jars of splash mountain water remember to take the lid off so the essence of splash mountain can cover your entire home

AliceAmber

Don't dream it, be it
Administrator
May 2, 2018
lol ok, I hope no one realistically buys that shit

I'm so excited for Princess and the frog. I will buy so much of that merch

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
As someone who loves Disney I'll say it ; "Disney Adults" are fucking weird.

I get it, your beloved attraction closed but selling random ass slime water in plastic bags is gross.
I never really got the hubub one way or another on Splash Mountain. Although it was originally themed for Song of the South and still has at least a small tangible relation to it, the ride itself has very little to do with it honestly. On the other side, big woop, the random ass bunny and fox that have no real ties to any property is getting rethemed to Princess and the Frog. At least it'll HAVE a theme then.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's a shitty version of a ride found in every single theme park. The water drop big whoop. It's done better in so many places.

The Disney cult is so annoying

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being the person that would pay money for water from Splash Mountain or any other roller coaster with water, especially as the seller just likely filled a bottle from their tap at home.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Grew up on Disney World, it might as well have been a second home. I still remember when it opened, Splash Mountain was a massive event. So I get the love for the ride but the thing is the ride will still be there… who gives a crap about the racist theme inside (well I know who gives I crap but fuck them). The ride is the drop, that's why you go and I'm sure that will still be there with a much better theme. The whole selling water thing and people waiting 5 hours on the last day is even weird to me. In a few years the ride will be back and even better.