Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No matter the form of media (comics/novel/games/movies) I'm 100% sure this will happen in a few years:
guillem-pongiluppi-stormtroopers-aliens-1.jpg

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I still want them to go back and add the Fox fanfare into Star Wars Episodes VII and VIII and put it before IX.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
It would be cool if Disney gave Whedon the rights to Buffy as a thank you for all the MCU work

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
HUGE?

I didn't know this. Care to enlighten?

edit: fyi My knowledge of it is still in 2018 i guess. How does this not show the IP domination of Disney and everything that comes along with it?

From my perspective for Disney to enter monopoly territory they would need to either:

A. Own such a large percentage of film studios and IP that it is impossible to compete with them.

B. Own the entire means of production and distribution involved in their respective domain.

To point A, there continue to be a variety of funding sources and ways to create film that require no involvement of Disney, and there are still several major film studios in operation along with innumerable small and independent studios. While Disney can throw their weight around the industry as the dominant force, they don't have the ability to be prevent competition nor can't they prevent the rise of new studios or other media platforms.

To point B, Disney would need to buy an ISP/cable service provider and/or a major theater chain. As they are subject to distribution outlets owned by other companies, they have little power in preventing competition at the box office, on TV, or on streaming services.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Black Panther 3 doesn't feature both Namor and Doom in a three-monarch game of thrones I will SHIT!!!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
With regards to Namor discussion, wasn't there some rumor about him appearing in Doctor Strange 2?

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While people are being hyperbolic by calling Disney a monopoly, they're not exactly wrong to be worried about Disney owning so many studios. Them becoming this huge isn't a good thing. While yeah, it's cool that Fantastic Four and X-Men and stuff can pop up in the MCU now (and it's not wrong to be excited about those movies), this overall is bad for the film industry. It means one less company that movies can be pitched to, less movies coming from Fox, a bunch more franchises for the company that stops works from entering the public domain.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
While people are being hyperbolic by calling Disney a monopoly, they're not exactly wrong to be worried about Disney owning so many studios. Them becoming this huge isn't a good thing. While yeah, it's cool that Fantastic Four and X-Men and stuff can pop up in the MCU now (and it's not wrong to be excited about those movies), this overall is bad for the film industry. It means one less company that movies can be pitched to, less movies coming from Fox, a bunch more franchises for the company that stops works from entering the public domain.

There are more options today for pitching a movie than there has ever been.

Now if you're one of those who hates streaming and only likes sitting in a theater, than yeah, there is one less option. If you're a filmmaker or everyone else, the options these days are enormous.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are more options today for pitching a movie than there has ever been.

Now if you're one of those who hates streaming and only likes sitting in a theater, than yeah, there is one less option. If you're a filmmaker or everyone else, the options these days are enormous.
There's only a couple of major streaming services (Netflix and Amazon) that aren't owned by movie companies though. Speaking of, Disney now owns 60% of Hulu thanks to the Fox deal.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This will never happen. Star wars will forever be under the Disney brand from now to eternity.
None of the Disney-produced Star Wars movies have had the Disney logo in front of them, just the Lucasfilm one. Putting the 20th Century Fox logo and its fanfare back in front of that would please the fans immensely, and they could stick "A Walt Disney Company" under the logo to show off their new purchase.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm super excited for Disney getting these properties and I hope it means they someday being alien encounter back to Magic Kingdom. But I don't want the XMen in the MCU I think they don't mesh with a bugger universe. Bring F4 and it's villains into the MCU and keep the XMen their own thing.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
For those hoping fox characters would be in endgame there's 0.0 chance. The film is locked
I have a sneaky suspicion they CG'd and shot a few extra scenes in case the deal went through before the film released. You will see someone even if it's the end-credits. Feige is always ahead of the curve.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
For those hoping fox characters would be in endgame there's 0.0 chance. The film is locked
It was only this week that Kevin Feige repeated, that the post-credits scene for The Avengers were filmed after the premiere. Thus nothing is impossible if they really want it in there.

That said, I still wouldn't count on any "Fox character" teases for Endgame.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
There's only a couple of major streaming services (Netflix and Amazon) that aren't owned by movie companies though. Speaking of, Disney now owns 60% of Hulu thanks to the Fox deal.

Netflix and a amazon are spending billions of dollars a year on content. Even if they were the only players(they aren't), it's undeniable there are way more options for getting a film or tv show made today than 20 years ago.

As to studios owning streaming services, so what? They still need content. There are huge holes that need to be filled.

We are living in a boom time for content. It's like the gold rush out there. Disney buying Fox isn't going to change that.

Oct 31, 2017
Netflix and a amazon are spending billions of dollars a year on content. Even if they were the only players(they aren't), it's undeniable there are way more options for getting a film or tv show made today than 20 years ago.

As to studios owning streaming services, so what? They still need content. There are huge holes that need to be filled.

We are living in a boom time for content. It's like the gold rush out there. Disney buying Fox isn't going to change that.

There's also a small player who is announcing they are entering the streaming market next week. They have almost no money to throw at content either.

Also, no one talks about youtube, twitter, and Facebook/Instagram. Those stream millions of hours of content every day with millions of eyes watching those videos. It's not just "movies/tv shows" and even then youtube has youtube red and Google already has the infrastructure ready if they want to fork out money for content. Morgan Stanley valued Youtube to be worth more than the entirety of Disney last year.

Dec 24, 2017
I planning to watch my favorite Fox film The Sandlot right now as a tribute before they become part of Disney in a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.