• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/how-disney-will-make-21st-century-fox-disappear-1182704
In fiscal 2018, Fox had 22,000 employees across the globe (compared with about 201,000 for Disney). Roughly 7,000 are expected to become part of New Fox. Disney has promised $2 billion in cost savings, so more than 4,000 layoffs are expected (though Disney-skeptic analyst Rich Greenfield puts the number at 5,000 to 10,000 over time). It's harder to predict potential layoffs within the Fox film studio itself, which has about 3,200 employees, but cuts are expected to be especially deep, particularly in overlapping divisions such as marketing, distribution and home entertainment.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Corporate mergers suck, I've been working with a huge company that's fusing with another equally big company and everyone's terrified about their jobs being made redundant, specially since the other guys bought this one, hope they all land on their feet

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

friedman-13280-portrait-medium.jpg

Operational synergies

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. This is normal in mergers sadly. Happened to me once!

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, and I was the bad guy when i said the merger was a bad thing. (and yeah, I know it was supposed to happen anyway)

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
People are shifting the guilt and blame of thousands of people losing their jobs due to the merger of multi billion dollar companies onto "nerds"? This must be what late stage capitalism feels like.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
... but at least nerds get their FF right?

Please don't ignore the reality of the situation: Fox wanted to sell. They don't want to be in that business anymore.

Yeah, the people being guilt tripped in a video game forum are the real victims here, just let them enjoy their corporate art in peace

He didn't say they were the "real victims." But acting as if people excited for X-Men in the MCU are to blame for this is childish and adds nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Consolidation sucks for many workers, It happens and for those that lose jobs sucks.

Edit: Also dealing with this a bit right now, but thankfully (knock on wood), they need to still keep operations in our region..so..

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
Good thing they got corporate tax cuts to help jobs. All companies do is merge and hoard when that happens.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Because I'm sure Comcast would never cut any jobs.
Mergers suck in general. It was just shocking to me how many people were cheering this merger on because of some superhero movies.

I feel bad for the people who are losing their job, I'm going through something similar right now. My old job became redundant last year, but with the possibility of coming back this year when they got their shit together again, but because of a merger I'm fearing that I might never get the call to come back since the company their merging with has someone who has roughly my old job.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't ignore the reality of the situation: Fox wanted to sell. They don't want to be in that business anymore.

He didn't say they were the "real victims." But acting as if people excited for X-Men in the MCU are to blame for this is childish and adds nothing.

Mergers like this shouldn't be allowed in the first place.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do some of you...LIKE being outraged all the time? I understand feeling bad about this sort of thing but do you really want to feel angry and then taking it out on people who have no control over it?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I can simultaneously be excited for Fantastic Four and X-Men and feel bad for the people losing their jobs.

Shocking I know.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Having gone through mergers and been at companies that have been bought and sold... SOME BY FOX, there is always this process. You hope for the best, expect the worst, and make sure you haven't burned bridges.

People will be ok - that town has a history of making new jobs regularly as the film model changes and advances and grows.

Hope people's lives aren't terribly interrupted, but the MOMENT that acquisition was announced, those people should have been preparing and interviewing.

Edit: Fox treated people in a digital merger/sale so poorly, it happens all over, and with nearly every bout of change.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
wouldnt fox just selling things have caused more jobs to be lost?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Do some of you...LIKE being outraged all the time? I understand feeling bad about this sort of thing but do you really want to feel angry and then taking it out on people who have no control over it?

Honestly, I just get tired of seeing Disney worship and Era lapping up corporate art non stop. MCU isn't some great cultural work, neither is star wars, let it go.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's terrible news. But I don't get why people feel the need to act 'holier-than-thou' towards the layman who's interested in superhero movies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I just get tired of seeing Disney worship and Era lapping up corporate art non stop. MCU isn't some great cultural work, neither is star wars, let it go.
Dude, you're on a video game forum. lol

This is like getting mad about people talking about working out on forum.bodybuilding.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Mergers like this shouldn't be allowed in the first place.

The government shouldn't be able to stop a merger simply because people will lose jobs. If Fox no longer wants to be in this business, the government can't force them to keep their IP.

Governments are supposed to stop a merger if it creates a monopoly.

This does not create a monopoly.