Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Frankly I would LOVE to see a hand drawn animated movie, if not then at least some new programming on the Disney Plus.

When you think of Disney movies now you might think of CG-fueled storytelling in films such as "Frozen," "Moana," "Zootopia," and "Big Hero 6" (to name just a few). It's certainly been the case since 2011, but it appears now that as Disney Animation is under new leadership since John Lasseter left, that could well change in the future.

Speaking in an interview with Slash Film, Peter Del Vehco ("Frozen 2" producer) and Jennifer Lee (Cheif Creative Officer for Walt Disney Animation Studios and director of "Frozen 2") are both more than open to a return to the traditional way of doing things, providing the animators and storytellers think that it's the right thing for the movie:

I think we're one of the only studios in the world that can do both, and how that evolves over time and how we experiment with different styles. But it ultimately comes down to the filmmakers and how they want to tell that particular story.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Let's re remake the remake back in the old style from before the remake.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Please! It would be another way to differentiate Walt Disney Animation Studios productions from the rest of the major animated media out there, including that from Disney's subsidiaries. Plus, hand-drawn is just really charming and impressive.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great. However "open to _____" is the media version of the politics "access to _____". Nothing phrases.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I'd love to see it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
A full film like this Disney or even just a Disney+ show.

tenor.gif

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they'll ever go back. Just finding animators for the hand drawn parts of Mary Poppins Returns was hard.

Oct 25, 2017
At some point if the bigger studios are not going to support hand-drawn animation, a lot of the skills are going to be straight-up lost to time. The principles of animation are the same whether 3D or 2D but there's no substitute for experience.

A full film like this Disney or even just a Disney+ show.

tenor.gif

...you do realize both of those use 3D animation extensively, with the dog one being almost entirely computer-animated, right?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This will be worth if what they do is good and people are willing to go see them in theaters. 3-D animation has made Disney bank compared to hand-drawn so don't be surprised if doesn't last long if they were to try it again.

I meant all the Direct to video crap from the 90s

Well fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, the division in charge of that was shut down.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
lmao with what animators? Like they teach hand drawn animation anymore

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they're open to it.

I'm just not sure they're open to opening and staffing a full 2D feature department, so that it's even remotely possible beyond lip service.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Hand drawn movie with a brand new original movie not based on a book, fairytale or anything would be refreshing.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the animated remake of the live action remake of the Lion King a few years from now.

Oct 25, 2017
The Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite Disney movies of all time, so needless to say I'm very excited to hear this!

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
If Disney decides to eat that cost again it's going to be the safest most sure fire hit subject material they can find. They will not take a risk with it again.