May 24, 2019
Source

Remember when ya'all were legit cheering for them buying FOX? Disney is so big it verges on being a monopoly, and having one company be the gatekeeper of our media across the board is terrifying shit. This is just the beginning.

I hate it too, but what was the highest earning Fox movie of the year? Ford v Ferrari? It did well but it wouldn't have made much of an impact on these rankings.

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand the Disney monopoly sucks, on the other hand it's a natural monopoly in many ways. They got this dominant by being the only movie company in the last decade consistently making good blockbuster movies several times a year. It's not like they are churning out garbage.

Yep. There's nothing preventing say, WB from making stuff that people would rather see. And it's not like Disney owns Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Pokemon, etc. There's still valuable IP out there that could overtake any of Disney's properties.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
lu4mTYD.jpg

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Blame fox for selling out then. Someone was going to buy them.
That is not how it works.

Would comcast buying them be any better? Comcast is worse than disney.
Does Comcast have a Disney-like dominance of the box office? No, so it would be better for the openess of the market.

On the one hand the Disney monopoly sucks, on the other hand it's a natural monopoly in many ways. They got this dominant by being the only movie company in the last decade consistently making good blockbuster movies several times a year. It's not like they are churning out garbage.

Disney bought both Marvel and LucasFilms, so it is clearly not a natural monopoly.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I agree Comcast is worse than Disney; I just think Comcast owning some key IP is better than Disney owning all key IP.

Comcast is an Internet provider and already owns NBCUniversal. Putting more IP and avenues to control news/media consumption into the hands of a major Internet distributor with net neutrality in flux would be a disaster. I don't know why this is overlooked.

weak deflection
Comcast didn't end up buying them so why bring it up?

?? This was an either or situation. Comcast didn't buy them because Disney outbid them. Fox was gonna get sold to either one of these corps.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep the good movies coming.

Other studios should learn from Disney if they want to be successful as well. No one is gonna waste money on bad movies anymore.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
The other studios need to step up and make decent movies people actually want to watch.
That's what I'm saying. You really can't blame them when they make good movies compared to the competition. I mean I wish the general audience would flock to see peanut butter falcon or lighthouse but they don't... they flock to the big blockbusters. Besides Disney all of those have been shit. Would you rather go see the amazing endgame or MIB: pureass? I really can't think of one good blockbuster that came out that wasn't Disney? Johnwick 3 but I don't know if that counts.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Would other movies be more successful if Disney completely went away? Like, how much more money would movies like The Lighthouse, Ready or Not, Climax, and The Man Who Killed Don Quixote make in theaters even if we got rid of all the blockbusters?

And have smaller movies become less profitable in the wake of these mega blockbusters? I feel like most of the "bombs" we hear about are from studios that go wild with their budget.

These are actual questions, I'm not well informed in this stuff and want to know why we are sounding the alarms.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad the rest of the world is on fire, because this is not a thing that should have been allowed to happen.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Comcast is an Internet provider and already owns NBCUniversal. Putting more IP and avenues to control news/media consumption into the hands of a major Internet distributor with net neutrality in flux would be a disaster. I don't know why this is overlooked.
Because it is impossible for Comcast to profit from a Fox take-over without taking into account the international market where they don't have any dominance. They wouldn't be able to change strategy on FOX so big without alienating that worldwide audience.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
megalomaniac conglomerate owning media unfortunately isnt suprising due to how the rest of our crony capitalist society works.

Especially due to how much disney itself embodies that system.

"oh but they make my favorite movies and such", praise the creatives in the company that actually make those things, not the company itself.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That better be a fucking five-star X-Men movie.

i could list you 30-50 great movies of 2019 that weren't made by disney and there's lots of good ones i haven't seen yet.
I don't like Disney's dominance over the market but anyone saying this year sucked for film doesn't watch films outside of blockbusters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
"Other studios need to start making better movies":
  • The Lion King: 53%
  • Aladin: 57%
  • The Rise of Skywalker: 55%
Man, Disney is clearly outputting quality, that's the reason they're on top.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
praise the creatives in the company that actually make those things, not the company itself.

This is something I see a lot on this forum, especially on gaming side that mystifies me. Like when Smash Ultimate broke sales records, there were "congratulations Nintendo" posts and whatnot. The people who put in the hard, long hours get overlooked for company worship.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The other studios need to step up and make decent movies people actually want to watch.

"competition" is a lie generally, in a system such as ours.

The modern strategy is to become a monopoly through pure influence and power and strong arming and then pretend your success is just earned by being better by everyone else.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Is there a good article about how this is disadvantageous cause all these threads ever are is back and forth and I feel like I still know nothing about the issues.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Keep the good movies coming.

Other studios should learn from Disney if they want to be successful as well. No one is gonna waste money on bad movies anymore.

People waste money on bad movies every day and will continue to do so until movies no longer exist as a medium.

Tbh Disney didn't even produce the best movie this year.

👀

Oct 26, 2017
This is my main issue. A lot of the other big studios aren't doing a very good job at keeping people engaged in their IP.

The point is that people don't want to see actual good movies, they want the same mediocre shit.

Because if the audience was interested in seeing good movies, why Mad Max and Blade Runner 2049 did poorly?

I really can't think of one good blockbuster that came out that wasn't Disney?

Joker

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
When the other studios are producing stuff like Cats and Abominable it's really no surprise.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I have watched literally none of the films mentioned in that article. Since I don't give a shit about the vast majority of superhero movies, or Star Wars, or Disney films in general, I guess nothing changes for me.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
There are many companies that , for various reasons, I will try to avoid supporting (financially or otherwise). At some point, I can only boycott so many things and need to just enjoy some aspects of my life. So, while I don't like Disney acquiring FOX and would prefer Marvel / LucasFilms / FOX / Pixar to not be all gobbled up under one umbrella, I don't think the consolidation of IPs/entertainment is in particular something that worries me enough to go full-on boycott of. It's a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but I don't suspect you'll get the fervor towards IP consolidation in the same way you will, say, bad factory conditions in China or bad environmental practices of Coca-Cola's water reclamation.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best Disney movie of 2019 is Togo. Didn't even get a theatrical release, it's direct to consumer via Disney+

It's really good

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
How many of Disney's hit movies this year were even former Fox movies? The only Fox "Blockbuster" I can think of this year was Dark Phoenix, and that movie bombed. I'm probably forgetting some movies. But from my recollection it just seems that this year for Disney would've been nearly the same even without buying Fox.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This is my main issue. A lot of the other big studios aren't doing a very good job at keeping people engaged in their IP.

Disney is looking to snatch up any IP that other studios have worth while. People were bullshit that sony was "wasting" spiderman might as well give it to disney, even though spiderman is one of the things keeping sony going. People were cheering on Bond going to Disney despite bond also being a tentpole. RIght now originals aren't the things dominating the market, it's sequels and known IPs. Hell look at the list of Disney hits this year, they're live action remakes of classics, MCU movies which are sequels, frozen 2, and star wars. They're basically making the same movies every year. You can make new IPs but that's a lot more difficult to do than using established mega franchises that you bought elsewhere.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?? This was an either or situation. Comcast didn't buy them because Disney outbid them. Fox was gonna get sold to either one of these corps.
I'm aware.
My point is that why bring up that Comcast at all when they didn't outbid Disney to buy FOX.
And I knew FOX was gonna sell anyway, I was a regular poster when the threads about the Disney/Comcast bidding war came up ad nauseum. I even supported Disney buying FOX only for the sole purpose that they didn't get bought by Comcast. But as of right now, that's not a matter of huge importance.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Because it is impossible for Comcast to profit from a Fox take-over without taking into account the international market where they don't have any dominance. They wouldn't be able to change strategy on FOX so big without alienating that worldwide audience.

Kind of missing my point. You give an Internet company more tools to control what we watch with net neutrality in flux, and we are screwed. Imagine a world where basic Comcast internet covers Fox and NBC content but you are required to pay $20 more a month for Disney or ATT/Time Warner content. That is a dangerous world especially when Comcast is the only provider in town for some of us. A much more dangerous world than a media company staying in media (Disney). I want my content providers as far away from media as possible. It already sucks that Time Warner/ATT and NBC/Comcast are a thing. Adding Fox under that pile? Complete disaster.

Might be fine internationally, but in the US? Completely scary.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I would go see a lot more non Disney movies and indies if they played in my local theater.

Oct 27, 2017
That better be a fucking five-star X-Men movie.

I don't like Disney's dominance over the market but anyone saying this year sucked for film doesn't watch films outside of blockbusters.

All of the people lamenting Disney's dominance better have to gone to see films like Us, Midsommar, Knives Out, Parasite, The Farewell, Booksmart, etc. There is great cinema out there, people should support them.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people truly think this they need to watch more stuff outside of the mainstream...
I saw a total of four/five movies I liked this year.

1. Jojo Rabbit
2. Parasite
3. Midsommar
4. Klaus
5. Marriage Story

That is exceedingly low for me as I typically can round out a top ten list easily.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry, WB will likely be the top earned next year and they aren't owned by many corporate gi*OWNED BY ATT*

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You aren't gonna have Star Wars next year, or frozen, or a marvel movie that will compete with end game in the earnings department. Disney is set for a major regression next year. I don't think they'll be pumping out 10b/year in perpetuity. Not until they start churning out multiple X-men movies a year along with marvel at least.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I knew there was a reason I didn't watch very many movies this year, Disney makes perfectly safe films that I'am no longer interested in.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If 55% is the lowest then that's in great shape. They're not pulling 20% which is disaster territory.

Anyways people go to Disney movies because they gained the confidence of the audiences after all the other good movies they made. If other studios were as consistent then people would flock to their movies as well.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
All of the people lamenting Disney's dominance better have to gone to see films like Us, Midsommar, Knives Out, Parasite, The Farewell, Booksmart, etc. There is great cinema out there, people should support them.

Movie tickets are too expensive for most people to bother with non-blockbusters these days, so I don't think it matters much. Most people aren't deciding between Knives Out and Star Wars (although Knives Out is great and a hit).

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of missing my point. You give an Internet company more tools to control what we watch with net neutrality in flux, and we are screwed. Imagine a world where basic Comcast internet covers Fox and NBC content but you are required to pay $20 more a month for Disney or ATT/Time Warner content. That is a dangerous world. A much more dangerous world than a media company staying in media (Disney). I want my content providers as far away from media as possible. It already sucks that Time Warner/ATT and NBC/Comcast are a thing. Adding Fox under that pile? Complete disaster.

The US is screwed on the short term. Which can easily be rebalanced with a good president that restores net neutrality. The Disney FOX takeover has a worldwide impact and cannot easily be reversed. It has locked up the movie market.

Is there a good article about how this is disadvantageous cause all these threads ever are is back and forth and I feel like I still know nothing about the issues.
What happens when Disney decides that they want a higher percentage of the income from cinema's? Any chain that doesn't get Disney movies goes out of business? What happens when a media conglomerate is critical of Disney's business dealings? They are instantly blackballed from reviewing their movies, like the LA Times.