Status
Not open for further replies.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how much I'm allowed to post but Comcast was willing to play ball with Disney letting them have X-Men and the domestic assests.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/standi...ox-media-titans-rocky-relationship-1529617091

I mean, Disney would never drop the deal just for those assets. We all know that. But I'm shocked Comcast would be willing to give that up.

I do think that if they're open to that, they might be open to some trades for rights Disney wants that they own when the deal closes. I know Roberts is gonna Roberts, but if they were willing to put those assets on the table for this, they could be open for a trade to boost their own portfolio for rights they need (RE: those remaining dreamworks distribution rights and anything else I'm forgetting).

EDIT: If you're able to, can you quote the specific part saying that?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I'm sorry. I was wrong. Sony talked about $5 billion to buy the rights back.

This was discussed in Sony's "Spidey Summit" which was in the leaked emails:
meul9vj.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was a fake email

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Right. Amy Pascal and Sony execs are insane.

For $5B they could build DL Chongqing or DL Texas. What do you think is the better use of that capital?
I mean, I don't know, which is why I was asking. It seems like an outrageously high number to me (as I said before) but I live paycheck to paycheck and don't control some of the world's most recognizable and profitable brands so what I think is a ludicrous price might be worth it to Disney in the long run, I don't know.

Pretty sure this is fake. It's dated a few weeks after the leaks happened (that was at the end of 2014), and I can't find it reported in any news stories at the time, or in Wikileak's archive from the Sony leaks.

I'm pretty sure this was a fake email
I remember reading it on the site as I was pouring through all the emails looking for tidbits on what was happening with Ghostbusters so unless someone slipped a fake into the mix when they all leaked out or I'm completely misremembering things, I'm pretty sure that's real. That isn't the only email they talk about it in either IIRC. But I definitely remember reading that in the big database of emails when they first came out... huh

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Disney would never drop the deal just for those assets. We all know that. But I'm shocked Comcast would be willing to give that up.

I do think that if they're open to that, they might be open to some trades for rights Disney wants that they own when the deal closes. I know Roberts is gonna Roberts, but if they were willing to put those assets on the table for this, they could be open for a trade to boost their own portfolio for rights they need (RE: those remaining dreamworks distribution rights and anything else I'm forgetting).

EDIT: If you're able to, can you quote the specific part saying that?

Comcast's 50-person deal team began working full-throttle on a possible larger move for the Fox assets Disney was buying. At one point, Comcast signaled to Disney it would be willing to split the spoils, where Comcast would take international assets including Star India and Sky, and Disney would take domestic assets, people familiar with the matter said. Disney didn't engage and has since ruled out that possibility.
Comcast also entertained discussions with Amazon.com Inc. to see whether carving up the Fox assets could offer a smoother regulatory path, these people said.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I already subscribe to Hulu, Netflix and Prime (which I rarely use for video), but if the Disney service has a great offering of stuff that isn't anywhere else, and if the price is right, I'll totally go for it.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading it on the site as I was pouring through all the emails looking for tidbits on what was happening with Ghostbusters so unless someone slipped a fake into the mix when they all leaked out or I'm completely misremembering things, I'm pretty sure that's real. That isn't the only email they talk about it in either IIRC. But I definitely remember reading that in the big database of emails when they first came out... huh
This wasn't "when they all leaked out". Unless the hackers had managed to manipulate the space-time continuum, this came a few weeks later. I've googled and can't find any references to it other than some random 4chan and reddit threads (and an article or two linking to said thread). And "Spider Man vs. The Amazing Spider-Man" as something Sony was seriously proposing borders on bad fanfic.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the reports saying that regulatory stuff could be finalized soon since people were speculation it wouldn't until 2019.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Honestly outside of MCU fans, I'm guessing the X-men rights were of the lowest priority for Disney

Not accurate. I listened to the Disney conference call during the original announcement and Iger himself mentioned the X-Men a couple of times.

They are worth a boatload of revenue for decades to come once Feige turns them into the property they should have been all along.

WastemanLoso

Apr 16, 2018
D.C
"Comcast's 50-person deal team began working full-throttle on a possible larger move for the Fox assets Disney was buying. At one point, Comcast signaled to Disney it would be willing to split the spoils, where Comcast would take international assets including Star India and Sky, and Disney would take domestic assets, people familiar with the matter said. Disney didn't engage and has since ruled out that possibility.
Comcast also entertained discussions with Amazon.com Inc. to see whether carving up the Fox assets could offer a smoother regulatory path, these people said."

I bet Brian Roberts hates Bob Iger even more for this & is Amazon completely out of this orrrr?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
The City's takeover referee could force Disney or Comcast to pay a much higher price for Sky as their US bidding war over the Murdoch empire escalates.

The Takeover Panel is watching the unprecedented situation closely and has powers to demand more. Murdoch-controlled 21st Century Fox is selling most of its assets including its 39pc stake in Sky.

Disney has agreed to pay $71bn while Comcast is considering whether to respond with an even higher debt-fuelled bid.

Meanwhile, Comcast has also bid £22bn, or £12.50 per share, for Sky and must publish its formal offer to shareholders by July 13. Fox, which offered a £10.75 per share deal for full control of Sky 18 months ago, has yet to hit back and would require Disney's approval to do so, if their US deal proceeds.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/06/23/comcast-could-forced-raise-sky-bid/

Get fucked, Comcast. Gave up on buying a Sky antenna yesterday because a) it's way more expensive than the alternative that delivers exactly what I want without a subscription an b) I don't want to risk to give Comcast any money.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
73b??? Damn... How do they have that much money
When you're a huge corporate entity with lots of high valued stocks and assets you can buy expensive things. Disney will only get richer from the deal. I don't get why people want this to happen. Disney will have around 32% of the US/CA marketshare and the next closest will be Warner with 18%.

Kind of scary that these acquisitions are being cheered for just cause MAHVEL.

Democracy doesn't end with thunderous applause but wanting ya favs in the MCU.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
So when you buy a public company, that company that receives the money you pay since there is no sole owner. So when the acquisition is performed do the investors receive the money or does the money go right back into the company?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
When you're a huge corporate entity with lots of high valued stocks and assets you can buy expensive things. Disney will only get richer from the deal. I don't get why people want this to happen. Disney will have around 32% of the US/CA marketshare and the next closest will be Warner with 18%.

A lot of the cheering is more to keep it away from Comcast.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nobody in their right mind wants the Disney acquisition to happen because of Marvel. Comcast winning these assets is the worst outcome and it has already been explained in depth by several in this thread. Citing "but Disney will have all the IP!" is not the same as Comcast having significant control over content distribution in the States and overseas in iptv and cable. With the death of net neutrality and a potential acquisition of Fox assets, Comcast will be in position to keep Fox and Universal content exclusive to Hulu, they will have an advantage in negotiating with other content providers, and they'll have the ability to throttle competition like Netflix. In this scenario, Comcast could easily pull a stunt like keeping Hulu and Xfinity streaming services "data free" with their Xfinity Mobile service (driving more customers to their services instead of Netflix or Amazon, AT&T or T-Mobile), have some of the extra channels like FX exclusive to Xfinity or force competitors to pay extra to carry the channels (with costs being passed on to consumers choosing those competitors), or force Netflix or Amazon to pay up or be throttled. All of these are significantly worse than "Disney has all teh IPz! Monopoly!" and it shouldn't be that hard to see.

No merger at all would be ideal but since Fox is selling regardless, keeping Fox from the clutches of Comcast is preferable. If Sony came out of nowhere and bid even higher then I could accept that too, for example.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017

It's more like "fuck Comcast and everything they stand for", if someone has to buy them I'd rather it be Disney.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Disney is going to be like Bruce Wayne.

"Let's do Galactus for Phases 4-6"
"Er...well you see..."
"Oh and introduce Doctor Doom."
"You can't..."
"Yes I can, I just bought the restaurant...I mean Fox..."

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really like the acquisition from the standpoint that it consolidates so many properties and so much capital... but hey, maybe we will finally get a cool Cyclops.

Nov 30, 2017
Seems to me Comcast is only trying to stretch Disney thin so they can't outbid them for Sky. Maybe even try to prevent the price going higher than it currently is.

$73 without assurance of the deal passing doesn't seem like an aggressive move. Even their initial offering didn't seem like they were going all out.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Seems to me Comcast is only trying to stretch Disney thin so they can't outbid them for Sky. Maybe even try to prevent the price going higher than it currently is.

$73 without assurance of the deal passing doesn't seem like an aggressive move. Even their initial offering didn't seem like they were going all out.
How could Disney outbid Comcast for Sky?

WastemanLoso

Apr 16, 2018
D.C

How could Disney outbid Comcast for Sky?

I thought Fox and Disney combined were going against Comcast for Sky? Or it's just Fox?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

I'm siding with Disney for one reason and one reason only.

Comcast.

Comcast has the ability to do more damage to both the entertainment and broadband cable market with the more content their acquire. With Net Neutrality gone (and Ajit Pai running the FCC), Comcast gaining control of both Fox and NBCUniversal would be downright awful.

At worst, Disney can lock their content behind their own streaming service and charge you for it.

If you've never had the displeasure of having Comcast as a cable/isp provider, consider yourself lucky. There's a reason why they're voted as one of the worst companies every year

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I see we have to go through this again.

In this particular circumstance, Disney is the lesser evil. In no universe should ISPs control both the delivery service and content that goes along with it. It's bad enough that AT&T/WB looks to be going through. We don't need Comcast to own the Fox material. It's quite simple. If you're looking at this purely for the Marvel properties, you're busy fishing in the kiddy pond while the big fish are over there in the lake.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I've given up on responding to the whole "EVERYONE IS CHEERING FOR CORPORATE MERGERS JUST FOR MAHVEL. CORPORATE SHILLS!!!" posters. They're only reading one or two people getting excited about the X-Men being in the MCU and their assuming that's the main reason for preferring Disney buys out Fox over Comcast.

We've had four threads now with multiple people explaining reasons other than that. If they want to keep generalizing it and looking like jerks, they can keep doing that.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Comcast.

Comcast has the ability to do more damage to both the entertainment and broadband cable market with the more content their acquire. With Net Neutrality gone (and Ajit Pai running the FCC), Comcast gaining control of both Fox and NBCUniversal would be downright awful.

At worst, Disney can lock their content behind their own streaming service and charge you for it.

If you've never had the displeasure of having Comcast as a cable/isp provider, consider yourself lucky. There's a reason why they're voted as one of the worst companies every year

I see we have to go through this again.

In this particular circumstance, Disney is the lesser evil. In no universe should ISPs control both the delivery service and content that goes along with it. It's bad enough that AT&T/WB looks to be going through. We don't need Comcast to own the Fox material. It's quite simple. If you're looking at this purely for the Marvel properties, you're busy fishing in the kiddy pond while the big fish are over there in the lake.

I've given up on responding to the whole "EVERYONE IS CHEERING FOR CORPORATE MERGERS JUST FOR MAHVEL. CORPORATE SHILLS!!!" posters. They're only reading one or two people getting excited about the X-Men being in the MCU and their assuming that's the main reason for preferring Disney buys out Fox over Comcast.

We've had four threads now with multiple people explaining reasons other than that. If they want to keep generalizing it and looking like jerks, they can keep doing that.
It's more like "fuck Comcast and everything they stand for", if someone has to buy them I'd rather it be Disney.
>replying to Subpar Spatula

You fell for the meme

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I thought Fox and Disney combined were going against Comcast for Sky? Or it's just Fox?
Disney (or Fox through Disney) cannot outbid Comcast for Sky.

Comcast.

*sigh*
I see this argument, but I still have yet to hear something that convinces me that it's meaningful.
What does Comcast gain with the acquisition of these assets that is so ghastly? FX and National Geographic?

The RSN's, I could understand, but nobody brings that up (and Comcast has said they'd divest those, but even if they weren't, they'd point to Disney and just say ESPN and it makes it a lot harder to say NBCSports is a real rival to them).

Hulu? Again, they committed to divesting Fox's share in Hulu if regulatory agencies demanded.

Star India? Yes this is huge. But again, international and nobody mentions it.

20th Century Fox? Comcast could go buy Sony, E1 and MGM for a lot cheaper and have a comparable content library and gain a premium content service through MGM (Epix). But also remember, Universal is the oldest studio of Hollywood.

If Comcast didn't already own NBCUniversal, I would completely agree. But they do. And AT&T, which unlike Comcast, has a NATIONAL distribution footprint, bought the biggest (and arguably) the best media company in the business.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
If Disney does finally win out here, I wonder how they'll handle their newfound majority stake in National Geographic Partners (the joint venture currently between 21st Century Fox (73% ownership) and the National Geographic Society (27% ownership)). Nat Geo Channel (and the movie division), as a thing for nature documentaries, is much more well known than DisneyNature. Like, I could see Nat Geo branding all over Disney's Animal Kingdom park. I could see some Disney cross-over with Nat Geo Kids magazines (not so much with the regular one).

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster

Only nerds on forums actually think this has anything to do with marvel. Disney having large amounts of market share was only inevitable due to their growth during the past decade, nothing inherently undemocratic or anti capitalism about the deal. It's definitely going to stagger creativity and make cinemas to play ball with Disney or else but again this has very little to do with marvel.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
So whats the latest? comcast only had 3 buisness days to counter right?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Comcast can make an unsolicited offer whenever they want, the problem is that they will probably pay more for Sky because of their latest stunt alone, so I think that what is happening right now is them assessing the situation to see if it's worth the risk of it. I don't think they are making another bid for Fox just to get rejected again. They are done.

Basically, this is the situation now:

The battle for Fox is going to put a big dent in the winner's balance sheet.

Disney's raising its offer to $38 per share on Wednesday already has the Mouse House in the dog house.

Moody's Investors Service responded to the $10-a-share increase by putting the company's debt "on review for downgrade."

After crunching the numbers, the credit-rating service said a successful acquisition of both Fox and Sky at current bid prices would boost Disney's debt/Ebitda ratio to 4.0x.

That compares with a ratio of 1.3x for Disney in 2017.

"Ratios higher than 4 or 5 typically set off alarm bells because this indicates that a company is less likely to be able to handle its debt burden," according to Investopedia.

And the ratio will get only worse if Disney persists in a bidding war with Comcast for Fox's film and television studios, cable entertainment networks and international TV businesses.

A bid increase of $6 — to $42 for each Fox share — would increase Disney's debt/Ebitda ratio to 4.1x, while a $46 price would leave Disney with a ratio of 4.3x, Moody's Senior VP Neil Begley said.

For Comcast, however, even meeting Disney's sweetened bid would put its balance sheet in a precarious position.

"We've always said we would be willing to deploy our balance sheet to advance our strategic objectives," Disney CFO Christine McCarthy said on boosting the bid.

Comcast's bid is cash-only, whereas Disney's offer is half cash and half stock, meaning it costs Comcast $1 for every additional $1 it pays to buy Fox. Disney will be able to cover half of its price by issuing new shares.

Moody's Begley calculated that Comcast's meeting Disney's $38 offer would increase the cable company's debt/Ebitda ratio to 4.5x. Going to $42 would take the ratio to 4.7x, he said, and to $46 to 4.9x.

Moody's already downgraded Comcast last month on its initial Fox bid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.