• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
fyBNmcv.jpeg
UHM9kaF.jpeg
mTW0OoL.jpeg
Xe76os7.jpeg
2K2jEJq.jpeg

Don't pay attention to the Token costs. Those are placeholders.

That last one just perfectly sums up Speedstorm's cosmetics, doesn't it. I wonder if there's any alternate costume you could make for King Candy that players would want to buy? Maybe something directly from the movie? Maybe something that would fit perfectly in a racing game?

...Nope, can't think of anything. Here's a recolor of his normal outfit for ten bucks instead!

Gamer X

Jun 30, 2023
That last one just perfectly sums up Speedstorm's cosmetics, doesn't it. I wonder if there's any alternate costume you could make for King Candy that players would want to buy? Maybe something directly from the movie? Maybe something that would fit perfectly in a racing game?

...Nope, can't think of anything. Here's a recolor of his normal outfit for ten bucks instead!
Completely agree. They can't even give us their film-accurate outfits. We're still somehow married to the racing theme.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm amazed at how openly and shamelessly scummy those changes are, not allowing tokens to be used for battle passes is just giving the middle finger to all the loyal players who bought founder's packs. I still had 5.5k tokens stockpiled for future seasons, because what else am I going to spend them on? Nobody wants those godawful cosmetics, nothing but boring recolors and character animations that you barely even pay attention to during gameplay. The only other thing I've ever used them for is unlocking WALL-E because I missed the event.

I don't even mind paying for battle passes, I don't expect the $60 I paid upfront to get me infinite free content, but at least honor the deal you made you greedy fucks. These money-grubbing changes are clearly signaling the beginning of the end, which sucks because I really enjoyed this game and happily finished every season's battle pass.

Everything here is 100% accurate, the suites have come in full force in ruining the game.

They've pushed every single chance they could after it went free to play and openly have been hostile against the player base with their monetisation decisions.

What's even worse is that if no one is buying your battle passes and your skins, going more aggressive on it is NOT going to fix it, it's going to kill the game. Actually make something people want to spend money on like every other game instead of forcing peoples hands.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I want the Nightmare Before Christmas and Tron racers... I might be done with the game. These changes, plus season 6's season box changes, absolutely suck. Now I don't even know if I can get ensure I get all racers, nor do I want to be putting in double the effort for a 100 tier system instead of 50 tiers, but get less rewards because I don't want to pay directly for a golden pass.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think we get this Ralph season and maybe one more and then they pull the plug.

SteamDB info

All time high of 7600ish players on Steam down to just 375 in the last 24 hours. Hopefully they leave the offline mode around so I can use what we've unlocked, but it's gameloft so who knows.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Several gaming news websites have caught on to the drama with the latest patch and are reporting on it. It seems some fans are threatening to sue Gameloft if this goes though for fraud as in the original terms on their website you can use blue tokens to buy the Golden Tokens for season passes and the wording has not changed since launch.

View: https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1777988217431851489?t=Vp_AVu6ZptB_Afgf5HoxbQ&s=19

I would love to see a lawsuit, this is a straight up scam no matter how you slice it.

I think we get this Ralph season and maybe one more and then they pull the plug.

They must be hinting at one more season with Simpsons characters considering they've already started selling us Itchy and Scratchy money.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Oh please let a lawsuit happen, that'd be quite funny and hopefully take Gameloft down a notch.

It baffles me that one division of Gameloft made Dreamlight Valley, which has a wealth of free content and engaging gameplay, with a system to get a wealth of premium currency quickly, and another made this with constant predatory practises and changes every couple of months that make the game worse.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They must be hinting at one more season with Simpsons characters considering they've already started selling us Itchy and Scratchy money.

tenor.gif

It baffles me that one division of Gameloft made Dreamlight Valley, which has a wealth of free content and engaging gameplay, with a system to get a wealth of premium currency quickly, and another made this with constant predatory practises and changes every couple of months that make the game worse.

THIS! All of this! I can't believe they're from the same company. It's crazy to me, I really expected it to go the other way too.

Gamer X

Jun 30, 2023

You have to wonder, though, what affect this whole issue will have on Gameloft's access to Disney licenses. Especially with the Epic Games partnership announced in the past few months.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
I just heard the news today and WHAT THE FUCK?!! How is this legal?!! I've purchased this game on 3 consoles and have a ton of golden tokens left over. Now they say I can't use them?!! Are they going to refund the golden tokens for something? If not, I don't see how they don't get a lawsuit out of this. I thought I was covered for several months.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I just heard the news today and WHAT THE FUCK?!! How is this legal?!! I've purchased this game on 3 consoles and have a ton of golden tokens left over. Now they say I can't use them?!! Are they going to refund the golden tokens for something? If not, I don't see how they don't get a lawsuit out of this. I thought I was covered for several months.
You can still use the golden season tokens for the season passes. The change is you won't be able to pay for the season pass with regular blue tokens.

Gamer X

Jun 30, 2023
The season is supposed to begin this week, but I haven't seen anything new since the last Pit Stop. Nothing on Twitter. Nothing on Instagram. Nothing anywhere...

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
The season is supposed to begin this week, but I haven't seen anything new since the last Pit Stop. Nothing on Twitter. Nothing on Instagram. Nothing anywhere...

Their silence after the controversy has been deafening to say the least and I can't tell if they're silent because they're deciding what to do internally or if they just plan on staying quiet until the new season is out and completely ignore the outcry. Sadly I'm inclined to believe in the latter considering Gameloft's handling of this game so far.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I 100% expect them to not address it and just promote the new season with more drip marketing.

Especially now they've been sued, they won't comment on anything.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Even more hilarious that the 18th is the one year anniversary of the game and they've not even made a peep about any kind of celebrations.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I'm hoping the radio silence is them delaying Season 7 again so they can back up on the "No buying the Pass with Tokens" thing but deep down I'm not really expecting it. I'll give the next season a shot anyway without buying the Pass (unless they let us use Tokens again), but if things just get too boring and beating the Season Tour is just too P2W heavy, then I'm done with the game.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
Damn, took them a week to put out such a barebones statement, at this point you'd think they'd actually have something meaningful to say. It's better than nothing I guess, all we can do is wait now.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the season meant to be ending, they don't have long to say something substantial lol. I guess they could delay again.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, in like 27 hours. It'd be insane for season 6 to be extended once again; at this point I'm ready to fry these fish and have some Ursula calamari.

It's been twelve hours since the tweet and no follow up. I wonder what they're gonna say.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
https://disneyspeedstorm.com/news/disney-speedstorm-community-pit-stop-golden-pass-and-tokens-update

After the latest Community Pit Stop, we heard from players who had previously purchased Tokens with the intention of using them to unlock the premium tier for future Golden Passes. We are making the adjustment that players will be able to purchase Golden Pass Credits from the in-game Shop for 990 Tokens each. The option to purchase these Golden Pass Credits with Tokens will be available until May 16.

A single Golden Pass Credit can be used to unlock the premium tier of the Golden Pass for either Part 1 or Part 2 of any future season, including the upcoming Season 7.

This is about what I expected after the walkback yesterday, charging for two passes per season is still lame as hell but at least they're not actively scamming everyone out of their tokens. Looks like I'm good for another two and a half seasons.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
Just uninstalled the game, I had my fun with it for the 170 hours I played of it but I'm not gonna spend any more money on this, the monetization is crazy and I ain't spending $20 a season for that new split Golden Pass. It's a shame how this game was handled since it had so much potential, but I'm over it now and I'll instead just wait for the next Mario Kart.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I'm using my Tokens to buy Golden Pass Credits which should carry for two more whole seasons. If after that there's no way to get the Premius Season Pass without using Tokens then I'm done with the game.

Although at this rate the game will die probably at Season 9-10. Maybe even earlier.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Hey SpeedStars,

Disney Speedstorm's Season 7 "Sugar Rush", inspired by Disney's Wreck-It Ralph, is here, and the team has been working on changes and improvements to the game.
Today, we'll be going into detail on changes coming this Season!

UI IMPROVEMENTS
The Main Menu has been updated with a new layout.

Main menu (1).png Disney Speedstorm

The sections break down in the following way:
• World Map will include the Season Tour and Tournaments.
• Ranked Race will include Ranked Multiplayer.
• Special Events will include time-limited events and Regulated Multiplayer.
• Friendly Race will include Private Track and Local Freeplay.

The garage has been given a fresh new look! Players will now also be able to rotate and zoom in to their selected Racer from the garage.

image (14).png Disney Speedstorm

The Golden Pass menu has received a visual revamp, giving a better visualization to the rewards and adding clear Season goals.

image (16).png Disney Speedstorm

NEW CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS – DELUXE KARTS
We are introducing Racer-specific karts and premium decorations for several Racers. This season those Racers will be Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Mulan and Ralph. This list will grow in future Seasons.
These new customization options include new kart liveries and two types of decorations: antennas for the back of the kart, and ornaments for the front.
image (13).png Disney Speedstorm

LIMITED EVENTS
Time-limited event objectives will now appear in the race pause menu.

RACER BOOST
Elsa, Anna, Olaf, Oswald, Ortensia, WALL•E, Eric and King Triton are now available to select.

RACER VOICEOVER
Starting this Season, only a select number of Racers will have voice lines added in the game. This Season, those Racers will be Ralph, Vanellope von Schweetz, and the yet-to-be-announced mid-Season Racer.

GENERAL FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
• Various game crash occurrences fixed across all platforms.
• A new type of reward is being added to the game - Reward Capsules will automatically pull a reward from a pre-determined pool of items.
• Push notifications have been added to iOS and Android for various types of in-game refreshes.
disneyspeedstorm.com

Disney Speedstorm Community Pit Stop – Season 7 Patch Notes

Updates to customization, UI, and more!

Looks like they're no longer getting voices for all characters from now on. The main draw of Disney is certainly being sucked out of the game quickly.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
disneyspeedstorm.com

Disney Speedstorm Community Pit Stop – Season 7 Patch Notes

Updates to customization, UI, and more!

Looks like they're no longer getting voices for all characters from now on. The main draw of Disney is certainly being sucked out of the game quickly.

Yeah those gold pass changes were absolutely their attempt to extract maximum value before winding down. If they can't even be bothered to get soundalikes anymore then this game is not long for this world.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those gold pass changes were absolutely their attempt to extract maximum value before winding down. If they can't even be bothered to get soundalikes anymore then this game is not long for this world.
It's bizarre it's still not out on mobile. I figured that was their end goal, getting the mobile market who seem to be largely fine with these kind of monetization models.

It's not like the game is bad or anything, it's just console/PC aren't any where near as kind to the BS.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Came to post about the voiceovers but see we've got that covered. If that's not writing on the wall I don't know what is.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It's a big shame. I was so excited for the upcoming season passes that were datamined, but if they're going to keep screwing the player base over with extra, unnecessary monetisations AND skimp on the biggest draw for the game, then it's extremely disappointing and such a let down.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Big yikes on not even hiring soundalike voice actors for King Candy & Felix.

Their voices are what make them so fun!

Apparently they could hire a (bad) sound alike for Vanellope.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Racing as Felix where he is totally silent the entire race is a major bummer.

Super fun watching him fist pump a silent victory. ugh

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Some people were saying the issue is Disney's rules around voice overs or something - that disney has to choose the voices. I dunno how true that is, but I'm not sure it excuses some racers now being totally silent, lol.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The talent gets contacted for a job through Disney's voice over department, and that doesn't excuse racers being silent.

Each voice actor for a Disney project gets a first right of refusal clause in their contract. If Jonathan Groff is contacted to reprise Kristoff but is unavailable, Disney then finds a sound-alike to replace him in the project (they would then go to Matt Lowe). Actors reprise the characters for a variety of things, games, shorts, Disneyland, the Cruise ship. This is nothing but cost cutting.

There's no way they'd look at Alan Tudyk who has been a constant in Disney films of late and think "nah, not this time." Jane Lynch, who has done a tonne of voice of work for Disney as well, should have returned.

If there's anything I could think of to give Gameloft the benefit of the doubt here, it's the strikes last year. But Laura was on strike as well so she wouldn't have replaced her sister for the game.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Felix, Calhoun and King Candy not having voices is extra lame. At first I thought it was temporary and will get added later, but nope, it's intentional.

Used my tokens to buy Golden Season Pass Credits and once I run out of those I'm done. This game has gotten far too crappy and now they're even cutting corners on the voice acting.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The game feels… off.

The sense of speed is different, slower.

Edit: Did they mess up the physics engine? Launched jumps that I shouldn't miss are missing the mark. Floating Object tracks where you usually can chain on jumps are floating over the next jump pad…

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The game feels… off.

The sense of speed is different, slower.

It's because they secretly changed the way crew members work. It used to be that they gave you a flat stat increase, but now everything gives a percentage boost instead. So for example, my 2-star Waternoose used to give Mike +350 to his top speed, but now it gives a 2% bonus which equates to +97 and therefore just makes him slower. Godawful change, and the devs clearly knew it was ass too because they quietly slipped it in there and didn't even mention it in the patch notes hoping no one would notice.

This update just sucks man. The only good thing I can say about it is that consolidating the million different upgrade currencies into one is actually a good change and lets you easily upgrade anyone (I finally maxed out Mike at Level 50), but that's about it.