• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Start the search for MCU Dr. Doom right now.

We're finally gonna get a proper Rogue, Gambit, F4, and Galactus

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Me saying "the lesser of two evils is still evil" does not imply they totally would have taken a third option. I know they were selling, and I know who could buy them was limited. Which is why at no point did I say there was another choice- I was just saying, literally, that when picking between two bad options the less bad option is still bad.

It's still a bad situation and, yes, I'm not here for celebrating corporations like these growing bigger even if it might improve movies I like, or whatever. Is that fine with you?
No!!

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I thought a big reason Disney was doing this was for the regional sports networks. Surprised they are willing to let that go considering how much cash they are dropping into this.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Serwer: "Here's what Comcast is saying now: 'Come join us and help us overpay dramatically for this asset that won't be approved by the regulators in Washington and fight against Rupert Murdoch and Bob Iger together', does that sound like a compelling offer to you? It's not gonna happen."

SAVAGE.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Dont really care about Disney getting xmen anymore. I already got Logan. Dont see mcu ever topping that (or even x2 for their xmen offerings tbh) but they can make xmen movies that are more in line with what a lot of the fans want so good for them

I just hope fox searchlight or Fox's more adult drama offerings aren't cut short by Disney acquiring them

Comcast owning Hulu is even scarier than Disney having it tbh, so the better one won

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

"This puts them under more time pressure to stop the freight train that is Disney's current bid," Laura Martin, an analyst for Needham & Company, told TheWrap on Wednesday. "They had to know a counter bid was coming from Disney — what's taking so long?"

"It doesn't make a lot of sense for Comcast to now try to raise money to up its bid for these assets," Ross Gerber, CEO of investment firm Gerber Kawasaki, told TheWrap. "They really need to just walk away."

In an SEC filing on Monday, Fox admitted part of its reasoning to accept Disney's $71.3 billion offer over Comcast's $65 billion offer was due to regulatory concerns: "A strategic transaction with Comcast continued to carry higher regulatory risk leading to the possibility of significant delay in the receipt of merger consideration as well as the risk of an inability to consummate the transactions."

If Comcast CEO Brian Roberts is hoping his third offer is the charm, he's going to have to reach deeper into the media giant's pockets — or find a financial partner. "They can't offer a small premium to Disney anymore," Klein said. "Comcast now has to essentially pay for the uncertainty or find a way to solve it."

And that just might be the reason why Fox hasn't rescheduled a new voting date yet.

"Fox is strategically keeping the emotional charge high and with that, the pressure on Comcast to step up," said Eric Schiffer, CEO of The Patriarch Organization and chairman of Reputation Management Consultants.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
wHqZ5cz.jpg

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Used to be called 20th Century Pictures. They might go back to that while keeping the fanfare.

Well, you know it used to be called 20th Century Picture (before the merger with Fox Film Corporation to become 20th Century-Fox (the hyphen was dropped later)), but did you know the classic fanfare always belonged to 20th Century Pictures? So, if they revert to 20th Century Pictures, it would not be out of place to retain the fanfare!

Now, the question remains: For nostalgic purposes, should Disney use their new studio to co-distribute Star Wars with LucasFilm? I mean Disney owns both, so it would just be a fun nod to the fans.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
I still expect Comcast to come back with a counter offer with some impressive additional measures. Something where they offer $41+ per share with a significantly increased regulatory breakup fee, and indication to Fox shareholders that they will divest any assets that the DOJ objects to. They will argue that this puts them only slightly behind Disney with a high level of assurance and a value premium.

I hope I'm wrong as a MCU fan, but I think Comcast has too much pride to give up just yet.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I thought comcast only had 3 days to counter? Thr way i understand it disney will always get a chance to counter because they initiated the deal.so even if comcast bid again disney can always counter so really its a no win situation.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
So no voting date for a bit longer then?

I honestly doubt it. I think I'm getting why it's taking so long for Disney or Fox to bid again for Sky. Basically, Comcast secured a shitload of money and will try to buy something. People saying that will be Sony if 21 CF doesn't works don't get that what is mostly holding Comcast back is that it's already WAY TOO BIG domestically as it is. They want international assets, so basically if Comcast raises its bid for 21CF, it reflects on Sky once again.

They are assessing with tech giants the possibility of them teaming up and getting the domestic assets, tech giants like Amazon, Apple, Google. The thing is that all these players know better than that, Fox to them would be an overpriced asset, for Disney it would not, and of course that this goes beyond Marvel and Disney IP, but it'd be naive to think that's not a big factor here. What's more, Comcast is hated AS FUCK as an ISP and a company. Amazon, Apple, Google and etc. even if they screw up, they aren't hated like Comcast is. The "people" want Fox with Disney because of Marvel and make no mistake, that's something that factors here as well when it comes to Comcast finding partners to buy 21CF with. Basically, what I'm saying is that no one wants to be Comcast: neither for paying 21 CF which is overpriced as fuck asset with the likely possiblity of getting denied by the DOJ, neither because Comcast is hated as fuck.

Comcast right now is willing to let the domestic assets and only go for the international ones. I don't see any tech giant partnering with them for that, because like Serwer said on Yahoo Finance, they are baiting for partners without having an actual hook. Iger won, and even CMCSA analysts are coming to terms with that.

Wololo

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I would be ok with comcast getting Sony as long as they didnt mess up the spidey deal.

WastemanLoso

Apr 16, 2018
D.C
Brian Roberts is probably disgusted that he's probably gonna lose to Disney & Bob Iger. A company you almost acquired in 2004 is the healthier asset now, that gotta hurt his ego for sure.

Wololo

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Brian Roberts is probably disgusted that he's probably gonna lose to Disney & Bob Iger. A company you almost acquired in 2004 is the healthier asset now, that gotta hurt his ego for sure.

This is why i expect one last bid from Brian probably 90 billion which disney will counter at 95-98. And that will be the end of it. Comcast has been played like a fool. Used to drive up Disneys bid. They never intended to sell to anyone but Disney. They are too far along with Disney to take any comcast bid seriously.

WastemanLoso

Apr 16, 2018
D.C
This is why i expect one last bid from Brian probably 90 billion which disney will counter at 95-98. And that will be the end of it. Comcast has been played like a fool. Used to drive up Disneys bid. They never intended to sell to anyone but Disney. They are too far along with Disney to take any comcast bid seriously.

They don't have cash flow for this to happen, I doubt a company would be willing to help when the deal is already approved by the DOJ. Comcast fucked themselves with that debt & Sky bid.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
So would Spectrum/Charter territories just be out of luck when it comes to watching their local sports teams?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I would be ok with comcast getting Sony as long as they didnt mess up the spidey deal.
It would be far cheaper and truthfully Not that bad of a decision.
They would get the world's largest TV and production company through SPTV (or second - they keep switching with Warner Bros.), and Sony has a decent presence in India that NBCUniversal could use to build out to rival Disney's acquisition of Star.
And then Sony Pictures' content library as well.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
So would Spectrum/Charter territories just be out of luck when it comes to watching their local sports teams?

No. I think they would be made part of Comcast's NBC-branded regional sports networks (Previously known as Comcast Sports Network). I think they're agnostic when it comes to television providers.

Right now, NBC Sports Regional Networks are featured in SF Bay Area (SF/Oakland), California (statewide), Chicago, Washington, Boston, New York, Northwest (Seattle), and Philadelphia. I think some of the newly acquired networks will cover duplicate cities, but those may feature teams the current NBC networks don't cover.

Last edited:

Wololo

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Comcast getting some of the RSNs would probably be an insult to Brian it would be like ok you can have have the left overs.