Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
Why not both? It really gives you the best of both worlds.

Over New Years, me and my fiancé did 7 days in Orlando. The first two days, we did universal studios. We were able to do pretty much everything there in that timeframe. The next five days we did WDW. We did one park for the first four days: magic kingdom, animal kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood studios. The last day we park hopped, hitting up the rides we missed.

I give the edge to Disney world for the variety of things to do and the amazing quality of the food. That and the fact that I proposed to my fiancé at magic kingdom may have a bit of influence on my choice...

If you can do both, it is totally worth it. If not then Disney world is my suggestion.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
In the peak of summer, it *could* be done with express passes in 2 days. But even then they'd probably have to skip some things and not leave much time for heavily exploring the Wizardly World or hitting favorites more than once.

I've heard of die hard Potter fans needing an entire day in each of the Wizardly World sections.
I go around early December. I usually never use express passes. I'm thinking next time late January. Longest wait for a ride is like 10 minutes.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I go around early December. I usually never use express passes. I'm thinking next time late January. Longest wait for a ride is like 10 minutes.
Yeah you can do it without express in some months but July is peak time. There will be lots of attractions with 120 minute wait times, especially inside rides to escape the summer heat.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
universal if you are not a kid. actually universal is better just for the marvel stuff if you are kid.

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
Just to throw this out there for anyone deciding between the two. If you are a heavy set person, the rides at Universal can get limited.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Universals rides suck their mostly screen rides with no real set pieces at all....

The ambiance and theme park cohesion is so so much better at Disney. Plus there's nothing better to seal the deal for the night with fireworks.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen a first post so wrong.

Disney. Always Disney.

Universal isn't bad but at their best (Harry Potter) they're on par with what you get from Disney anyway... and they have a lot that is far worse.

Disney also does still have some intense thrill rides, despite people generalizing and saying that's Universal's purview. Everest in Animal Kingdom is one of my favorite coasters in any park, and Mission Space at Epcot is so intense that they literally had to make a less intense version and offer barf bags.

Overall Disney just has WAY MORE variety and stuff to do at any of their parks by comparison to a Universal park.

Disney World has 4 parks and you can easily spend an entire day at any given one, so it's best done over a week -- just like you're doing. The Studios is partially under construction right now so you could probably skate by with only a half day at that one and then another half day at one of the others (probably Magic Kingdom). It's just a must though, especially if she's never been.

If you've really got to see Potter World you could always take a day to drive away from Disney and do that too, but really there's just not enough at Universal to last an entire week.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should go to a Disney park at least once, so Disney World if she hasn't been there before.

I also think Disney as an overall experience blows away Universal, even if I do think Harry Potter makes the best "lands" in a theme park. The rest of Universal hasn't made as many great additions as of late though. Everyone's holding out for Nintendo on that front.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Few years ago, spent two days in Universal then two days in Disney. If price isn't a factor, do both. If she's a huge Potter fan, I recommend Universal. However, the Disney magic is more potent the younger you are. So, maybe Disney this time, Univeral next.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Universal sucks.

The people who say Disney is for kids haven't been there.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Last year I had my daughter make the same decision. She was 8 at the time and chose Universal.

Gave her the same decision again and she still wants to go back to Universal over Disney World. She has been to Disneyland though, so dont know if that is influencing her decision.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I've been to Universal three times in my life and hope to go back for a fourth soon. I did every Disney World park when I was about 12 and have no strong desire to return.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Disney World
  • EPCOT has some of the best food I've ever had. Hands down. Also it is getting the TRON coaster.
  • Magic Kingdom is fun regardless of age.
  • Hollywood Studios has some really cool/unique rides.
  • Animal Kingdom has my favorite Disney Coaster (Everest) and the Safari is a need experience.
Universal Orlando/Islands of Adventure
  • Universal itself has mostly "Show" style rides, and recently closed down some of them. Jaws is gone, T2 is gone.
  • That said, the Gringott's ride is pretty great, as is the Rock'n Roller Coaster. The Jimmy Fallon ride is hoooot garbage, though.
  • Islands of Adventure has Hulk Coaster and the Spider-Man ride, two of the best rides Universal has. The new Kong ride is pretty good, too, as is Jurassic Park.

In general we only go to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure near Halloween, so that we can go to Halloween Horror Nights. Last year was the final year for the fantastic Bill and Ted show during HHN, though. :(

I would say if you're going for more than 2 days, Disney has a ton to offer.
If you're only going for 2 days, spend a day at Universal, and a day at Islands of Adventure. It is still a great time.

Last edited:

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
As someone who's been to both parks several times, it really depends on what she's looking for in a theme park visit. Universal has bigger and better rides than Disneyworld in my opinion, but nothing beats Disney in terms of the overall experience. It's much more immersive, streamlined and dedicated to making sure you have a good time. Plus there's more to do in Disney because they have 4 parks compared to Universals 2. Both parks are fantastic though and you'll enjoy either one.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney World
  • EPCOT has some of the best food I've ever had. Hands down. Also it is getting the TRON coaster.
  • Magic Kingdom is fun regardless of age.
  • Hollywood Studios has some really cool/unique rides.
  • Animal Kingdom has my favorite Disney Coaster (Everest) and the Safari is a need experience.
Universal Orlando/Islands of Adventure
  • Universal itself has mostly "Show" style rides, and recently closed down some of them. Jaws is gone, T2 is gone.
  • That said, the Gringott's ride is pretty great, as is the Rock'n Roller Coaster. The Jimmy Fallon ride is hoooot garbage, though.
  • Islands of Adventure has Hulk Coaster and the Spider-Man ride, two of the best rides Universal has. The new Kong ride is pretty good, too, as is Jurassic Park.

In general we only go to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure near Halloween, so that we can go to Halloween Horror Nights. Last year was the final year for the fantastic Bill and Ted show during HHN, though. :(

I would say if you're going for more than 2 days, Disney has a ton to offer.
If you're only going for 2 days, spend a day at Universal, and a day at Islands of Adventure. It is still a great time.

Rock'n Roller Coaster is a Disney Ride, at Hollywood Studios, not Universal.

And the TRON coaster is going into Magic Kingdom. EPCOT is getting a Guardians of the Galaxy coaster -- it's pretty great, Disney getting two more thrill rides that I am sure people will continue to ignore to say Universal is more for thrills just because of The Mummy, Hulk and Dueling Dragons (which isn't even around anymore???).

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

I rode it once when I was a kid, and I really wanted to ride it again :(

I guess I'm never going to get the true ride experience of it.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I give the edge to Disney world for the variety of things to do and the amazing quality of the food. That and the fact that I proposed to my fiancé at magic kingdom may have a bit of influence on my choice...

Details, man! Where (in the park)? When? How?

I rode it once when I was a kid, and I really wanted to ride it again :(

I guess I'm never going to get the true ride experience of it.

Universal Studios in Japan still has Jaws as far as I know. They only just got rid of Back to the Future a couple years ago to make a Minions simulator ride.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually seriously don't get how Universal has "more thrills" than Disney. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is basically the lineup, right?

Universal
  • Hulk Coaster
  • Gringotts Coaster
  • Dueling Dragons
  • Revenge of the Mummy
  • Jurassic Park
  • Hollywood Rockit Coaster
  • Doctor Doom Fall
  • Dudley Do Right
Vs.

Disney
  • Thunder Mountain
  • Space Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Tower of Terror
  • Rock'n Roller Coaster
  • Mission Space
  • Test Track
  • Everest
  • Kali River Rapids
I also haven't been to Avatar-land yet but have heard Flight of Passage is pretty thrilling. Plus the aforementioned TRON and GotG coasters are coming soon. It certainly doesn't seem like Disney is slouching, in fact they technically have more. Is it just because Universal doesn't have much else so they stand out more, while Disney has a shit-load else? Or what?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I also haven't been to Avatar-land yet but have heard Flight of Passage is pretty thrilling. Plus the aforementioned TRON and GotG coasters are coming soon. It certainly doesn't seem like Disney is slouching. Is it just because Universal doesn't have much else so they stand out more, while Disney has a shit-load else? Or what?

Disney has been going all-in for the past 3-4 years with almost non-stop construction in all of their parks, with 2 major expansions to Hollywood Studios being completed by 2020 (Toy story / Star wars) and all the other rides being added.

Universal on the other hand has just gotten the land for the 3rd park they are designing (Along with the Fast & Furious ride being made) Universal just (for some reason) invested purely into Track motion rides, while Disney has gone with Trackless / Major Expansions.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney World is in its own league. You could make a day out of Universal, but as an overall experience it doesn't compare.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly of those you mentioned in Disney's favor TDLink, only Everest and Rock N Coaster match the best that Universal is now offering.

Disney still has Universal beat handedly if you are looking for atmosphere and superior line queues though.

Though to the OP, we probably need some more details about things like days, age of the kid etc.

If the kid is like 5 or 6, Disney all day. If you are going everyday for a week, you could honestly do both parks, they aren't that far from one another.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Flight of Passage is fun but I wouldn't characterize it as a thrill ride. It's more like Soarin'.

Ahh, gotcha. Still excited to experience it sometime in the near future. I think Soarin' is great.

Disney has been going all-in for the past 3-4 years with almost non-stop construction in all of their parks, with 2 major expansions to Hollywood Studios being completed by 2020 (Toy story / Star wars) and all the other rides being added.

Universal on the other hand has just gotten the land for the 3rd park they are designing (Along with the Fast & Furious ride being made) Universal just (for some reason) invested purely into Track motion rides, while Disney has gone with Trackless / Major Expansions.

I mean, yes but all those rides on the Disney list have been around more than 3-4 years.

That's kind of my point though. Disney has like a dozen things coming in the next few years including 2 new major thrill coasters. (Plus one of the new Star Wars rides is a thrill ride too, right?) Universal is in the design stage (ie, a long way to go) on a third gate and the big concrete soon-coming attractions are the Nintendo stuff which will not be thrill-focused at all, so...

I feel like this stigma is just completely false.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I went to Disney(land) for the first times since I was 3 as a 24 year old adult, and I absolutely loved it. Me and my buddy did everything, hopped parks, rode all the rides we could, ate a bunch of food. I even got to meet Elsa and Ana, and even got a framed photo with them. No shame, I was so friggin happy- biggest smile on my face imaginable.

Disney is absolutely magical. Loved the whole 10 hours I was there!

Yeah, I've been to Disneyland several times throughout my lifetime and my favorite times going there were actually the times I went there as an adult, so I don't really agree with the "Universal for anyone over 10". The Universal in California was crowded af last time I went there, to the degree where it really detracted from the experience. Though maybe the Florida parks are just completely different.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly of those you mentioned in Disney's favor TDLink, only Everest and Rock N Coaster match the best that Universal is now offering.

Disney still has Universal beat handedly if you are looking for atmosphere and superior line queues though.

Though to the OP, we probably need some more details about things like days, age of the kid etc.

If the kid is like 5 or 6, Disney all day. If you are going everyday for a week, you could honestly do both parks, they aren't that far from one another.
Which rides are you talking about? Because I feel like Jurassic Park, Doctor Doom, and Dudley Do-Right are all weaker than their Disney counterparts (Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Kali Rapids). And Universal doesn't have anything unique like Mission Space at all.

Yeah, I've been to Disneyland several times throughout my lifetime and my favorite times going there were actually the times I went there as an adult, so I don't really agree with the "Universal for anyone over 10". The Universal in California was crowded af last time I went there, to the degree where it really detracted from the experience. Though maybe the Florida parks are just completely different.
The Florida version of Universal is definitely better than California (where there's only like 8 attractions). I guess the draw is the real studio tour.

Disney it's more complicated. World has more, but Land has some better versions of equivalent rides (like Pirates) and stuff that doesn't exist in Florida (like Screaming), as well as straight different iterations of the same ride type like Indiana Jones vs Dinosaur and Guardians of the Galaxy Breakout vs Tower of Terror (which actually does have a different feel). World of course has a ton more that doesn't exist in any way in Land... like just about everything in Epcot and The Animal Kingdom as well as many attractions at the other two parks.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to Universal's parks last year for the first time and was bored out of my mind within six or seven hours (to be fair, we had very short wait times). I never get bored in a Disney park. There's always something to do and the atmosphere means you can just chill and relax, go to a restaurant, see a show, there's always something. Universal is just a typical theme park. You're either on a ride or you're waiting in line for a ride.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, gotcha. Still excited to experience it sometime in the near future. I think Soarin' is great.

I mean, yes but all those rides on the Disney list have been around more than 3-4 years.

That's kind of my point though. Disney has like a dozen things coming in the next few years including 2 new major thrill coasters. (Plus one of the new Star Wars rides is a thrill ride too, right?) Universal is in the design stage (ie, a long way to go) on a third gate and the big concrete soon-coming attractions are the Nintendo stuff which will not be thrill-focused at all, so...

I feel like this stigma is just completely false.

Not everyone goes for Thrill rides, at that point you might as well go to an actual Amusement park like Six Flags / Bush Gardens in Tampa.

Off the top of my head Disney has done:

• Storybook Area in MK
  • Frozen (Old Nordic Ride) Revamp
  • Star Tours
  • New Ride in Typhoon Lagoon (If you want to count this)
  • Mission Space Redesign
  • Killed half of Hollywood Studio
  • Along with Avatar Land, added lights to all of AK, expanding the Time it's open by almost 3-4 Hours.

Meanwhile Universal has done
  • Harry Potter Section
  • Transformers Ride
  • King Kong
  • Hulk Redesign
  • Jimmy Fallon ride (I still don't get why)
  • Volcano Bay
  • Rock-it roller coaster

Though I do agree that the amount of Thrill rides at both parks is lacking, It's easier to make a concrete building with a ride in it than a giant coaster.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney World is far more impressive. The only part of Universal that even comes close to Disney's presentation is the Harry Potter section but it's *very* small and you're forced to buy tickets to both Universal parks to see all of it.

Universal is too focused on 3D screen-based attractions for my taste. And if you're interested in seeing the best example of that, It's at Disney World (Avatar).

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone goes for Thrill rides, at that point you might as well go to an actual Amusement park like Six Flags / Bush Gardens in Tampa.

Off the top of my head Disney has done:

• Storybook Area in MK
  • Frozen (Old Nordic Ride) Revamp
  • Star Tours
  • New Ride in Typhoon Lagoon (If you want to count this)
  • Mission Space Redesign
  • Killed half of Hollywood Studio
  • Along with Avatar Land, added lights to all of AK, expanding the Time it's open by almost 3-4 Hours.

Meanwhile Universal has done
  • Harry Potter Section
  • Transformers Ride
  • King Kong
  • Hulk Redesign
  • Jimmy Fallon ride (I still don't get why)
  • Volcano Bay
  • Rock-it roller coaster

Though I do agree that the amount of Thrill rides at both parks is lacking, It's easier to make a concrete building with a ride in it than a giant coaster.
I get that, in fact I enjoy the Disney parks because I enjoy way more than just the thrill rides.

Universal has definitely stepped up over the last decade while they did almost nothing for the one before it, but these recent Disney additions aren't really small either. The Storybook stuff and Avatar Land are brand new areas. And while they have killed off half of Hollywood Studios, that is to make way for a frankly much better one in the future. Toy Story land is opening soon and then Star Wars Land next year, which will be two more huge additions with a bunch of attractions. Then there's the smattering of other rides upcoming including the two aforementioned coasters, they Mickey and Minnie ride, Ratatouille, possibly a new country at Epcot, and possibly a phase 2 for Avatar.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, in fact I enjoy the Disney parks because I enjoy way more than just the thrill rides.

Universal has definitely stepped up over the last decade while they did almost nothing for the one before it, but these recent Disney additions aren't really small either. The Storybook stuff and Avatar Land are brand new areas. And while they have killed off half of Hollywood Studios, that is to make way for a frankly much better one in the future. Toy Story land is opening soon and then Star Wars Land next year, which will be two more huge additions with a bunch of attractions. Then there's the smattering of other rides upcoming including the two aforementioned coasters, they Mickey and Minnie ride, Ratatouille, possibly a new country at Epcot, and possibly a phase 2 for Avatar.

I forgot about the new country rumours.

They still have something like 3~4 Lots left in Epcot to fit in other Countries / Expansions I think.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about the new country rumours.

They still have something like 3~4 Lots left in Epcot to fit in other Countries / Expansions I think.
Pretty sure it's more than that. I think they have 3 lots alone in between Germany and China right now (the Africa outpost is partially taking up half of one of them). Then several other lots between other existing Pavilions. They're using the back part of an unused lot for Ratatouille though.

Epcot also has the currently un-used Wonders of Life pavilion. There's a ton of space for expansion still.

EDIT:

Yeah:

worldshowcase_sites.gif

Back part of 6 is going to Ratatouille. 7 and 8 are used for events at the moment, but don't have to be forever. 1, 4, and 5 are completely unused. 2 and 3 are ripe for development are have had a very temporary thing there since Epcot's release. Back part of Germany's lot is open and could be combined with 3 or 4 for something (it was originally going to be a boat ride). Italy also is sitting on a huge swath of unused land that could be utilized in some way.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the Orlando area, and I've had annual passes to both.

I prefer Disney World over Universal, but I think both are great. I find Disney to be better for overall experiences. There really is nothing else like Disney and how immersive their parks are. I haven't been to Disney since Pandora opened, so I can't comment on that. Universal is good for thrill rides. I think the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is great, and I find the theming for Dragon Alley to be amazing.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely prefer Disney. The rides aren't the best but the atmosphere alone makes it worth it.
It really boils down to what things your kid likes.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't recommend WDW enough and it's largely because of Animal Kingdom. It's a stupendous park, the detail and atmosphere is fantastic.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Can only talk about Universal Studios Japan and the Disney resorts in Tokyo, but... Disney by far. Universal Studios is about 15 mins by bycycle from my house and I like it alright, but the immersion feeling at the Disney resorts is unmatched. Everything is so perfectly crafted.

Here in Japan they have Disney Land which is more oriented towards kids and the whole family, and Disney Sea which is more oriented towards older kids and grown ups. I'm actually going back to both Land and Sea next week, can't wait!