• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Well, "vocal minority" is a thing people say, but I don't know how to press that into some kind of shape. But if somebody tells me they like a top-selling exclusive with 90+ review average and a ton of GOTY awards, that seems.... kind of unremarkable, it's a game people like

E: Andromeda is a solid pick though! (and I do like it)

Nah I think it's spot on. It's stretching to call a game that cleaned up at the GOTY awards divisive.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Dragon Age Inquisition

These are my peeps no matter what

Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Header-04.jpg

'In addition to winning several awards at major events and ceremonies, it was selected by IGN,[116] Ars Technica,[117] Game Informer,[118] Polygon,[119] and Electronic Gaming Monthly[120] as their Game of the Year in 2014.[121]'

CaveGhostPurp

Jan 12, 2022
Spelunker HD Deluxe, of course.

A platformer with a simple set of rules that seem to rub some people the wrong way. Death comes easily, the heights you can leap from safely are comically small, and when you jump you're committed to it (no control while airborne). And everything kills you in 1 hit. I've seen reviewers complain about the controls being shitty and leading to deaths, but NO- the controls are tight, when you die it's your own fault.

Aside from that it's got excellent level design (100+ floors), arcade-like gamplay, key hunting, ghost killing, and can be played co op and with retro pixel art graphics if preferred. Also, it's pretty funny.

An unrecognized classic. Some people just don't get it, and most will never play it.

zerosnake99

Oct 25, 2018
FF16. I know it's not a perfect game, even by my standards, but I haven't felt so hyped about the set pieces of a game since... forever.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
DmC: Devil May Cry

Great level design, banger OST and fluid game play. Never played the other DMCs so that might be the reason why I don't mind this game.

Feb 16, 2022
'In addition to winning several awards at major events and ceremonies, it was selected by IGN,[116] Ars Technica,[117] Game Informer,[118] Polygon,[119] and Electronic Gaming Monthly[120] as their Game of the Year in 2014.[121]'
I mean do you really think, if someone makes a thread saying DA:I is a 10/10 game, the comments wouldn't be divisive or even outright full of disagreement?

We've had like hundreds of posts in this forum saying DA:I winning GotY for many publications in 2014 was a mistake or only happened because other games were just so bad.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
anyway, I'll nominate Prey: Mooncrash, a game that wasn't actually the generally accepted goty or best-in-class for its genre in the year it released, despite being a fantastic game, built upon another 10/10 that sits in the 70s on MC despite being much better than the games people tend to compare it unfavorably to (like Bioshock).
and I wouldn't consider Deathloop divisive, really, but I do think it deserves more credit than it gets, personally. as a followup to Mooncrash it could have done some things better (like leaving the central mystery of the game for the player to piece together and solve manually), but it's still an inspired take on the 'immersive sim' concept that subverts aspects of the genre taken for granted in ways that encourage a completely different style of play than any other immersive sim before it.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
TLOU2 is my favourite game of all time but I don't think it's that divisive outside of certain circles.

Death Stranding for me.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Fire Emblem Fates Conquest. It has the best maps in any SRPG ever, and the skills are fun as hell.

Sonic Adventure 2, though I don't even necessarily disagree with the problems a lot of people have. The good parts are just good enough to make me not care and I've become warm to the jank over the years.

Twilight Princess and gen 4 Pokemon were initially kinda divsive, but people have become kinder to them over the years, partially because kids who grew up with them are now online and partially because we haven't gotten many games since that do similar things as them as well.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
midnight-sunsHD-scaled.jpg

A lot of people disliked the Three Houses esque social hub but I loved it, and the gameplay was top tier as you'd expect from Firaxis. Wish it did better so we could've gotten a sequel.
I still think the cards actually made for a much better and more dynamic combat system than how rote X-com could get

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Breath of Fire 5 is my pick, as it's actually a divisive game (it turned off many long-time Breath of Fire fans), and I think it's a great game, one of the best for the PS2.

SinOfHeart

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis.

Probably in my top 15 all time games. I totally understand why people didn't like the game, and there are elements to it that even I think are not good (namely enemies getting insanely harder during night time), but the characters are so fun, the school setting is realized through gameplay in such a great way, and combat is such a blast that I completely adore the game even with its flaws.

Nov 23, 2023
At some point in time Destiny 2 was a great game. The stars aligned, though I imagine it's different times for a lot of different people.

Feb 16, 2022
I still think the cards actually made for a much better and more dynamic combat system than how rote X-com could get
I wonder if they could've just gone with a different visual medium for the cards, since they're essentially just skills/moves you equip. The card/deckbuilding element likely turned some people off without knowing how it actually works.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Feel like La-Mulana, Valdis Story and CrossCode (Was just aware people dislike the puzzles recently lol) are definitely divisible, all 10/10 games for me.

Not quite 10/10 stuff but i agree that Death Stranding, Prey and Twilight Princess (Fav Zelda :p) are excellent games.

FFXIII is kind of far from 10/10 lol but it's still a lot better than people give credit for.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Evil Within 2, Destiny 2, and SE's Avengers. The game's pretty cheeks at a bas level but with all the DLC's and such I was addicted to playing it for a week strait.

clapclap88

Jun 10, 2020
The Wonderful 101 was pretty divisive when first released and I absolutely loved it. Right alongside Ninja Gaiden Black as my favorite character action game.

And although I wouldn't necessarily rate it as a 10/10, Penny's Big Breakaway is a recent one that I've been enjoying much more than the general consensus would have me believe.

I can see parallels with both games in that they each have pretty high skill floors with tough barriers to entry but once they finally start to click and you can feel yourself really getting the hang of the mechanics, their game flow is fantastic and both become incredibly satisfying to play.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Everything's divisive on a gaming board.

That said, I don't have any particularly contrarian takes on great games. Even games reviewed poorly that I liked back when are generally well thought of with fans of the medium now.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Final Fantasy VIII for me. I love the music, the dumb characters and the silly story. A lot of it is certainly nostalgia but still. Even with the PS4 rerelease I had a ton of fun with it. I'd kill for a Remake.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
Death Stranding.

It's a game of a generation and beyond.

Nothing impressed me this much and clicked with me this much gameplay wise as Death Stranding did in 25 years of gaming. It's such a special and impactful game with how everything is structured, the whole online system that just worked to absolute perfection with an atmosphere so thick that you can taste it. And the soundtrack man..... And how it's integrated.....

This game is so unbelievably special that I can barely put it in words.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
TIL Doom Eternal is divisive
People on this forum HATE Eternal.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this forum titled: "Doom Eternal is hot garbage."

To a degree, yeah. I think there's more love for it than not here, but this is also the only place I've ever seen the opinion that P5 peaked in its first Palace lol
Crazy 💀💀

Kamoshida is probably my fav arc but to say the game only gets worse from there is wild lol

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Hmmm.. I dont know if I ever would give even a single game 10/10..even my most played one or my most liked one
But the closest games to a 10/10 in my case and games that are atleast somewhat divisive here are these :
Witcher 3
Cyberpunk 2077
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
Metro Last Light
Vampire Bloodlines

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Came to post Death Stranding, happy to see it posted a lot already.

I would also say Dishonored. I've played through it 5 times, never encountered a bug. Love the art style, story, stealth/ action gameplay.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue.
It still annoys me that we have had nearly 25 years of iteration almost exclusively on GTA's vision for open-world games and virtually no iteration on Shenmue's vision.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Darksiders II is the best in the series and one of the best action games ever made, there I said it.