• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Dark Souls 2, Nier and Sonic Unleashed.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Dark Souls 2
Played it recently and still had an absolute blast

Final Fantasy XV
The story is not a 10/10 alright but the dungeons are like 12/10 for that

Final Fantasy XII
Still is the gold standard of what I'm looking for in a RPG

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Banjo Tooie
Very devisive game on Era. Actually the majority of Era don't seem to like it.
It's better than Banjo Kazooie in almost every way. There is soo much stuff to collect, so much backtracking, finishing it as a kid back then took ages.

But people always complain about that very thing. It's to long, to bloated, to much backtracking et cetera. As if they already had a backlog back then.
I maybe got a new N64 game every few months or so and gladly played 40+ hours games. The idea of a game being too long back then was absurd. The more content the better. The worlds in Tooie were huge, every level had a boss, tons of minigames (fully playable in Multiplayer). It was insane (and still is).

However, Era want's to finish a game in 5 hours and then move to the next.

The games I see as 10/10:
Final Fantasy 7 og, Remake, Rebirth, Ocarina of Time, Elden Ring, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1, Heroes 3, Donkey Kong Country 2, FF9, Uncharted 2, 3 and 4, The Last of Us 1, Doki Doki Literature Club, Banjo Kazooie, The Witness, Stick of Thruth, Returnal, Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Waking Dead Season 1 & 2, Witcher 3.

I don't think any of them are seen as divisive? Most people who played these games love them.

Jan 9, 2018
8lUGKoEzuAQE7pWDsHIDqLd5.jpg
This

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
The Last Guardian

Not sure if is divisive, since got like 15 Gotys, including from EZA, and is in the 80s on MC.
But I know many people that hated and I considered that game the best one ever made

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Why? Does that hate extend back to 2016 or is it just Eternal?

A lot of people just wanted another boomer shooter, and refused to engage with Eternal's almost character action inspiration.

I think it was just too mechanically involved for a small portion of the 2016 enjoyers, which is understandable. Many seemed to absolutely hate being encouraged by the design to incorporate every gameplay system and just wanted to spam rockets 24/7.

I had to take breaks between some encounters and levels because I'd be physically exhausted by the intensity, but the reward was the greatest shooter gameplay of all time.

I tried replaying 2016, but it felt like going 30 years back in time (slight hyperbole).

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Starfield. I can see where it can be improved, but this is the kind of game I've wanted since the C64 days. Definitely my game of the gen so far until GTA 6 drops.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This! The game is a masterpiece and the most original experience in AAA space.

It wasn't really divisive, but Returnal is the other masterpiece that I think should have received even better reviews.

Come on guys, for the millionth time, TLOU 2 wasn't divisive except for a minority of very loud people. It won everything it had to win.

irri

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Despite being flawed, suffering somewhat from uneven pacing, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a 10/10 for me for its stunningly realized characters, sublime music and for making me feel emotions I hadn't felt since playing Chrono Trigger for the first time.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Doom Eternal is a good pick for me, it's almost certainly my favorite FPS of all time. Just a perfect evolution of the first game.

I was (and still am) gobsmacked by how many people didn't like it (i.e didn't get it).

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Banjo Tooie
Very devisive game on Era. Actually the majority of Era don't seem to like it.
It's better than Banjo Kazooie in almost every way. There is soo much stuff to collect, so much backtracking, finishing it as a kid back then took ages.

But people always complain about that very thing. It's to long, to bloated, to much backtracking et cetera. As if they already had a backlog back then.
I maybe got a new N64 game every few months or so and gladly played 40+ hours games. The idea of a game being too long back then was absurd. The more content the better. The worlds in Tooie were huge, every level had a boss, tons of minigames (fully playable in Multiplayer). It was insane (and still is).

However, Era want's to finish a game in 5 hours and then move to the next.
Preach

I still think that Banjo Tooie is the best thing Rare has ever done. I love how the worlds are connected and how the puzzle design revolves around it. It's a wonderful mix of action-adventure and platforming

soundofsilver

Nov 18, 2017
Don't know if they were divisive, but I'd definitely agree with the people saying the Last Guardian and Returnal. Another in this category would be Sifu - a 10/10, but I think the difficulty put a lot of people off.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Heaven's Vault. The navigation/movement in it is extremely messed up, travelling from planet to planet takes too long, and every character interaction is weirdly flinty and aggressive.

I don't care about any of those things at all. Its central conceit of finding artefacts and translating the language is perfect for me. I love it so, so much.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Divisive but legit 10/10s in my eyes:
Cyberpunk 2077
Shenmue 1
MGS2

Great games with a lot of flaws I only seem to hear get dumped on constantly:
Assasins Creed Origins
Bioshock Infinite
Dragon Age 2
MGS5
Saints Row 4
Deathloop

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I'm sure this is a popular answer, but TLOU2 for me.

I don't consider Days Gone a 10 but it's up there, a lot of people didn't seem to like that one. For me it was one of the closest games to my ideal open world zombie game that I've experienced.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Lol @ people coming in with TLOU2.

I know this thread is asking for your 10/10's but that just isn't a divisive game on people's assessment of its quality.

When a game is hugely popular it gets a disproportionate amount of attention and discussion, which means you're going to hear some negative views, but it doesn't necessarily make it divisive. The vast majority still highly rated it.

For me, Dead Space 3, in co-op on Survival mode (where you find materials instead of items and have to make ammo, health packs, upgrades etc.) was a 10/10 experience.

The game has got EA's fingerprints all over it, it's a poor horror game compared to the first two but as a horror action cooperative game it's just excellent.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Shin Megami Tensei V. The story was bad but everything else was just amazing for me

Also I'm having a really hard time thinking of games that fit this criteria and browsing through this topic has not been helpful whatsoever lol.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
It's not actually divisive, however a lot of people on this forum seem to dislike it a fair amount:

Uncharted 3

CaveGhostPurp

Jan 12, 2022
I see people mentioning The Last Guardian. That's a good one, easy 10/10 for me. But it certainly has its detractors. Still, it filled me with wonder like no other game has before of since.

Jan 19, 2022
We're in the meta-thread now.
The meta question: is TLoU2 divisive?

Anyway, throw my hat in for TLoU2 and FF8.
Edit: And Pokemon Black & White.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Not a 10/10. but Pokémon Scarlet & Violet are the best games in the franchise since Gen 2 and they have the best story of all the games.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
lmao @ a thread being like "what divisive games do you think are 10/10?" and multiple people posting shit like "one of the most universally acclaimed games ever, TLOU2"

Octopath Traveler 1

Saga Frontier 1 Remaster

Yeah, the SaGa series was absolutely the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title. You either "get it" or you don't, and the people who "get it" really, really love it, but it's not for a lot of people.

•••

I'd wager there's a decent number of indie games that I'd rate significantly higher than most. I think Baba is You is one of the most brilliant games ever. Also I think Wordle is a 10/10 game that should have absolutely won more GotY awards.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Also: Heroes of Might and Magic IV and V.
Many in the fandom love III and kinda hate everything that came after, but I think IV and V are 10/10s for the genre.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword. Maybe not a 10/10 but easily a 9.5 especially now that the Switch version has fixed up the repetitive tutorialis.

It's a top 5 Zelda game for me. The dungeons are simply fantastic. In particular I love the water cistern dungeon so much. I never found the controls frustrating especially in the Switch version. I also love the aesthetic and characters.

It easily tops Twilight Princess, Majora's Mask (sorry I hate the time loop mechanic), and is neck and neck with Windwaker for me.

Also more like a 9/10 but while I dislike both FFXIII and LR, I really liked XIII-2. Not quite sure why but that game just worked for me! The ending was a total cop out though.

Kotetsu534

Dec 31, 2022
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. This game was really disliked on release but I think it has a good case for being the most interesting JRPG ever made.