• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
Skyward Sword
Final Fantasy XVI

I've heard the criticisms for each a million times, none of them bother me though. I adored every second of each or my playthroughs for these games.

If each of those series would continue iterating on the same formula as these games I'd be the happiest gamer ever lol
Unfortunately Metroid went semi-MIA with rare (but great) releases. Zelda evolved in a direction I dislike. FF is FF so there was never a guarantee to get another game in the same style anyway.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
a48c780f029fc936e233e88d9ed0e87b11c59c1657efbe146de6b24938cf7b3b_1.jpg
I get being upset about the launch, but once it was fixed up, y'all had a generational game on your hands and people spat in its face.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
binding of isaac can be considered somewhat divisive, right? it's a pretty solid game all around but some people just can't handle the themes and aesthetic
dynasty warriors 8 xtreme legends is a perfect musou as well, but people bounce off these types of games especially when they don't gel with the property

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I get being upset about the launch, but once it was fixed up, y'all had a generational game on your hands and people spat in its face.

They shouldn't have released it in the state it was. If I go on a date and she scissor kicks me in the face before hacking at my coffee machine with a machete, I am probably going to have a bad impression regardless how much she improves for the 2nd.

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
Inside is a pure 10 out of 10 game to me. I don't know if it's controversial. Maybe it is because it's a lower budget and primarily on the 2D plane but damn it that game was fucking amazing. Using the atmosphere alone in telling a story without any dialogue blew me away.

Harmen

Aug 30, 2023
10/10:
-The Last of Us 2
-Death Stranding
-Yakuza 2 ps2 (scored high 70s back in the day and was completely overlooked)

Not 10/10 but 9ish:
-Days Gone (best Bend game by a country mile and one of the best pa4 games)
-Deadly Premonition
-Battlefield Hardline (I really enjoyed the over the top 80s cop film-esque campaign and played MP to death, for some reason it clicked with me more than 4, 5, and 1).
-Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition (emphasis on the last version, when consuming all related content, not what launched).
-Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins

This is more like "games that were divisive on this particular forum". I think Doom Eternal, TLou2 etc were generally very well received. Everyone forgot Skyward Sword got a 93% average score. You have to go outside reviews and into message boards and internet circles to see the divisiveness sometimes, like Mario Sunshine I think is great but a lot of people didn't seem to like it, but then I check how it reviewed and its almost universally loved.

My pick would be the Plague Tale games. They have their fans and review well enough but man do people hate on them lol. The repetitive gameplay never really detracted too much for me since the presentation and story were interesting. But again maybe a lot of the hate is just forums again.

Ultimately it is hard to truly get a consensus. Review scores are an average of like 100-200 reviews tops, from a group of people perhaps not always representative of the millions of general consumers. User scores are very prone to trolling and bombing. And forums are often bubbles. I think all of them matter in their own way, but none are conclusive.

I feel most of the games mentioned in this thread have a larger than usual divisiveness to them, in one way or another.

Last edited:

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
The Death Stranding love in here is great to see.

On topic, Death Stranding. The story is bunk and the combat/boss fights feel undercooked at times but I don't care, I loved it so much.

Also, Bayonetta 2 (I don't know how divisive this is) the combat doesn't have the depth of 1 but it's more than sufficient throughout the story mode which is an absolute blast. 10/10 for me.

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Pokemon White 2. Don't know wether it was fatigue or what but it's superb. I'd also argue that Spelunky is probably the greatest platformer ever made. Both solid 10's for me.
People consider BW2 a bad game? It's also a 10/10 for me and I've never seen anything but praise for it. I see it has an 80 on Metacritic but that's kind of par for the course for an "enhanced" Pokémon version (much like how Mario Party Superstars getting an 80 was shocking after decades of the series getting consistent 70s or lower).

That Mario Party tangent actually reminds me of another divisive game I'd consider a 10/10: Game & Wario. I get why people dislike it and how it's not a proper WarioWare game, but its Pictionary and Islands modes are incredible and a huge timesink for me and my circle. I view it as the ultimate form of Pictionary with some neat extras that, marketed correctly and priced right, could have been a Wii-level system seller. I bought my parents each Wii Us just so they could continue playing it with their friends after I moved out lol.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
If we're saying 10/10 is a slightly cheeky way put me down for

Skyward Sword
FFXII (Zodiac Age version tho)
Metroid Prime 2

Also

Super Mario 3D World
Final Fantasy VIII
The Wonderful 101
oh yeah definitely super mario 3d world, my favorite mario game besides super mario bros 3
i could play this one forever and ever stranded in an island with a wii u and a power outlet

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
I mean do you really think, if someone makes a thread saying DA:I is a 10/10 game, the comments wouldn't be divisive or even outright full of disagreement?

We've had like hundreds of posts in this forum saying DA:I winning GotY for many publications in 2014 was a mistake or only happened because other games were just so bad.
Yes you can count me as one of those people that said dragon age Inquisition Goty only happened because the other games that year were pretty mid. I beat dragon age Inquisition and while I agree it was the best game that year it was not particularly great. It was "meh" to good.

Last edited:

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Oh forgot some
Super Mario 3D World (It's the best 3D Mario game)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Best Xeno game and it's not even close)
Megaman Starforce 3

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
They shouldn't have released it in the state it was. If I go on a date and she scissor kicks me in the face before hacking at my coffee machine with a machete, I am probably going to have a bad impression regardless how much she improves for the 2nd.
At least it got fixed unlike some games some people still defend. Glancing at Pokemon.

Seems a touch dramatic to compare a game launching with some glitches to being assaulted, but you do you.

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Wonderful response. Thank you for taking the time to do this! Not sure yet if this pushes me towards a purchase sometime in the next week but it's made sure to not take the game out of my "what's next" list. The backtracking as a means of taking in the last moment/interaction before pursuing the next one is very appealing to me in any case. Thanks again!
Sure thing! Hopefully the developer puts a demo back up on all platforms at some point that carries progress into the main game when purchased. This game is definitely not for everyone but if it's for you you'll know pretty early on.

I don't see much chatter for it online but hope long-term it sells well enough for the developer as you can clearly see how much care and effort was put into every aspect.

Yurei

Feb 28, 2023
Xenoblade Chronicles X

It deserves a shiny port so that people can finally see the true best Xenoblade game.

Bulgowski

Apr 8, 2022
Most of the ganes I'd give 10s to are pretty well regarded by critics and players. The closest thing to a contentious pick in my 10s would be Twilight Princess (though it's debatable if it meets the definition). I think for it's time it was really an amazing experience that really nailed the epic feel it was going for but can understand how it's structure, pacing and YA tone could be a turn off for people (I disagree hard on criticisms of it's art direction and graphics).

Not 10s but I think these games all are a great deal better then they get credit for online:

L.A. Noire
Brutal Legend
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
Cyberpunk 2077
Deathloop

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Twilight Princess, 4 me.

Twilight Princess
Nier Replicant (specifically versions including Papa Nier)
Doom Eternal
Hmm i wouldnt say Twilight Princess is divisive. For a long time it was the best selling zelda game and had a high metacrtic of 95. Yeah you got some online zelda fans who don't like it but lets be honest, the online zelda fanbase complains about everything. I ususally see quite positive impressions of it with people who grew up with the Wii

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
GTAIV. It wasn't divisive when it released but it sure is nowadays. It's easily the best GTA in my opinion. Best story, best characters, best city, and the best sense of progression. Love the combat and driving that everyone hates too. None of the GTA games have amazing combat but at least IV has some weight to it. The physics alone make it so much more fun to mess around in IV compared to V.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/377160/Fallout_4/

Fallout 4 was my 2015 GOTY and if I had it to do over it would stay that way.

The gunplay was the best BGS had done to date (thanks in part to id Software involvement). The map was a joy to explore. Loved that junk recycled back into the crafting system, giving looting true purpose.

Game was a monumental achievement and easily my most played BGS release in raw hours.

Damn I love F4.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fallout 3 is one of my favourite games ever, like somewhere in my top 10, and to this day I haven't played a game with a better open world.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
Games that score in the 90s can totally be divisive if you listen to the discourse post release. Critics get the first say but not the final one. They don't dictate what's considered divisive.

Anyways, if they don't count, I would say The Last Guardian, Killer7, and God Hand are some of my favs and comfortable calling 10/10.

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2, certified 10/10 in my mind. Best Sonic game. Can't wait for Sonic 3 to introduce Keanu the Edgehog and hopefully more than loosely adapt SA2.

PG10

Jan 23, 2024
To this day I still stand by Titanfall 2 being a 10/10. Better than one in every way

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Not a 10/10 but the closest for me is the Outer Worlds. I don't know how wide spread the hate is, but since most of my gaming discussions these days is focused around ERA it for sure seems divisive around here. Just mention Obsidian working on something and someone will remind you to "temper your expectations, remember the Outer Worlds?" Yes, I remember it, I also remember having a pretty dang good time with it.

Gemini-Stone

Dec 12, 2021
The more recent Bioware games have been pretty divisive, but I've been having a blast with all of them.

Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition, Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda.

Pretty good to me.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
I feel pretty basic. Idk if there's any truly divisive games I love that much.

Idk if it holds up, but hot wheels velocity x on GameCube was actually pretty fun. I assume it reviewed badly at the time. Decent car combat multiplayer that I spent a lot of time in with friends as a kid

Tobli

Oct 30, 2017
Dark souls 2 - The only game in the series that I have replayed.
Final fantasy XVI

Definitely not a 10, but still worth mentioning:
Mass effect Andromeda
Final fantasy XV
Dragon age 2

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's Metal Gear Solid 4. I wish it was remastered for the PS5 so I didn't have to dust off my PS3 whenever I want to replay it.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Ghost Recon Wildlands

It's full of Ubi map marker nonsense, but turning off all the UI elements, playing on a high difficulty and playing it like it's Skyrim (ie, just explore) makes it into one of the best experiences out there