• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I wouldn't say it's a 10/10, it has its issues...maybe it's a 9/10?

...but I think DmC: Devil May Cry is the best in the series and one of my favourite character action games

Exist 2 Inspire

Powered by Friendship™
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Horizon Zero Dawn for me. Completely blew me away and even managed to be my 2017 GOTY over Persona 5. Might even be my favorite of last gen overall. A lot of people dislike it but yeah i really loved it start to finish and replayed it multiple times over the years.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Winning GOTY awards doesn't prevent a game from being divisive.

It just says that a lot of people love it, but it doesn't say if there is also a lot of people that hated it as well.

You can't really anti-vote a game to stop it from winning awards.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime 3 and Bayonetta 3 are arguably the best games in their respective trilogies and certainly don't deserve the tarring and feathering they get from some fans

Aleshin

Mar 26, 2024
Rise of the ronin:,for me, is absolutely a little masterpiece despite some technical flaws, but the average of the reviews absolutely doesn't reflect my personal judgment. For once, I find the user average on Metacritic much more in agreement with mine than that of the reviewers.

Final Fantasy XV: My favorite Final Fantasy, I literally cried at the ending, which has happened to me very few times with a video game. Also, I adore the party mechanics.

Dark Souls 2: A game that has meant a lot to me as both a person and a gamer. Every time I read the fierce criticisms that a part of the Souls community directs at it, I feel saddened. To me, it's a great game and a great Souls game with very innovative ideas like the ascetic bonfires.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake.
  • The Last of Us Part II.
  • Resident Evil 5.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Asura's Wrath - this game should've been Capcom's god of War

Vanquish: Still one of the best tps out there

Star Ocean 3: Still the best of the seires...the twist was pretty cool imo

Edit: Also add I Final Fantasy XII; it's my favorite game of the series.

Last edited:

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
  • Doom Eternal is the best FPS ever made
  • UMVC3 was the best fighting game of its generation
  • Wolfenstein: The New Colossus had one of the best stories and presentations in a FPS that I've ever played, 10/10 to me.
  • Vanquish is a 10/10.
  • Is Darkest Dungeon divisive? If it is, then that too then.

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023
Shadow Hearts 1. Parts of it have not aged well, but the horror aesthetic, the music, the setting, were incredible to me at a young age and such a paradigm shift after playing nothing but Squaresoft games for years.

It's really let down by its graphics, as the game was largely developed for the PS1. But there's still a charm to the ugly models and goofy animations, and I still think some of the animation work for character reactions and animations are great to this day.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Final Fantasy XII. One of the most divisive Final Fantasy games. Loved it from start to finish. Wouldn't change a thing.

Agree fully with those saying the original Nier (PS3/360) and Skyward Sword.

Skyward Sword is insanely underrated in my book and I played it on Switch for the first time, ended up liking it more than Breath of the Wild tbh. Second only to Ocarina of Time as my favourite 3D Zelda game.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty really was divisive when it came out but was absolutely a 10 to me. One of the best game sequels ever made.

Fatal Frame III: The Tormented is still my personal favourite game in the series, the way it mixed the real world setting with the dream world I thought was rather genius tbh. And the story & ending was powerful and sad. I loved traversing that one location, thought it was well designed, so had zero issues with "backtracking" (which is a survival horror thing anyway).

Siren, Siren 2, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, and Wild Arms XF are all games that I'd rate as 10/10 and they all have mixed receptions with average or poor Metacritic scores.

Siren & Siren 2 are flawed games but amazing experiences. Very creepy.

I'd even go as far as to say Dragon Quarter is one of the best RPGs ever made and one of the best games on the PlayStation 2, which is my favourite gaming system of all time.

I liked XF too but nowhere near a game like BoF: DQ. Capcom will never know just how amazing Dragon Quarter was.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While not divisive, I do think these games are "perfect" in the sense that theyre exactly the game they need to be and everything in them is at a suuuper high level

- Turtles in Time
- Kirby's Dream Course
- Tetris Attack
- Sekiro

4goodmeasure

Apr 7, 2018
Witcher 1. I think it's the best Witcher. I love the story, environments, and the game play is great. Not gonna' be buying the remaster or whatever.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
It's showing my age but I will always love DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3. The move set for each individual character is fairly limited and just about any advanced mechanic simply isn't mentioned in the manual but it's my favorite game to play if I want to recreate the feeling of an in-universe match.
Absolutely no balancing whatsoever but I felt like it was perfectly fine for what they were trying to accomplish.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
DS2 Scholar of the First Sin is one of the only games I would give an 11 out of 10.

But I would also give it a 7/10.

A game literally so divisive that even a guy who thinks it is perfect also thinks it's kinda not great

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
Probably the first two Siren games. It's fairly evident why they're not globally beloved Metacritic darlings, but damn if they aren't one of the most unique horror games you can experience even now, 20 years after their release.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Far Cry 2

FC2's Africa is a hostile, sometimes frustrating, experience. The enemies are unrelenting, the guns barely work, and there's not much going on in between enemy outposts.

On paper it sounds like a terrible pitch for a game. But there's something about the teeth gritting tension of trying survive a seemingly simple A to B trip across the map with only a rusty pistol and a handful of magazines.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I think Forspoken is a 10/10 on the things it nails and it's dragged down by like a 7/10 on some other things, but the best people begrudgingly act like is that it's a 7/10 dragged didn't by 4/10 elements. It's definitely going to be one of my favorite games of the generation even if I think it's probably like an 8/10.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition

These are my peeps no matter what

Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Header-04.jpg
I'd agree with this. I feel like the game was liked reasonably well in release, but then got a pretty significant backlash afterwards. But I still really love it.

I think it looks fantastic, the environments especially. Whatever they did for the lighting just looks really really good. I actually think it looks a lot better than ME: Andromeda in almost every way.

There's a ton of great, varied environments to explore. Tons of great characters, almost too many since you have so many companions plus your council members, but they're almost all really good so I don't mind so many.

I always play a mage character, so I can't speak to how all the other classes are (except for a warrior I played once and got bored of), but I love how they play. The different spells have such great audio/visual feedback and feel so good to use (the crackle of the lightning, the shattering of the ice, etc).

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Valkyria_Azure_Revolution.png

The writing was actually really good. The fanbase didn't like the more action-oriented approach and the presentation could have been better but I still overall enjoyed Media.Vision's take on the series.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I know its dumb and petty but anyone saying TLOU2 is just adding fuel to why i hate that game tbh. Insufferable fanbase that will take any opportunity to bring it up and how "good" it is.

Metacritic - 90
Opencritic - 93

This is not a divisive game, it's the people who dont like it that are in the minority.

Now that im done ranting, on topic, I dont know if I'd say its a 10/10, but Days Gone is actually a really good game. One of Sony's best games last gen imo. Shame we'll never get a sequel. My biggest issue with the game is that its just too long, if it was shorter i might be convinced its a 10/10

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
[OPen thread, CTRL+F for "Xenoblade"]

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the best open world experience I ever had, to this day nothing ever topped it. I loved this game so much I bought two copies of it, the ost and artbook. Sawano is just so peak.

Yup.

I'm not sure if the game is considered "divisive" outside of some female costume outfits. But regardless, despite having numerous flaws, XCX is a top 5 all-time game for me. It took the human+mech combat experience I had with Xenogears and pushed it to 11 with the exploration. Nothing else has come close, not even the other Xenoblade titles (XCX actually soured me on XC3 - I played XC3 for 140+ hours and finished the game only to realise I didn't like it that much, not because the game is bad, but because it's not XCX despite being objectively better than XCX in numerous ways; Future Redeemed is great though!). It's the last game I still bother to keep my Wii-U for. One of the primary reasons I'm so excited for the Super Nintendo Switch™ is the prospect of XCX finally getting ported, and I will be there Day 1 if/when it does (not holding my breath for a sequel, but I'll be there day 1 too, assuming the mechs come back).

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I think Forspoken is a 10/10 on the things it nails and it's dragged down by like a 7/10 on some other things, but the best people begrudgingly act like is that it's a 7/10 dragged didn't by 4/10 elements. It's definitely going to be one of my favorite games of the generation even if I think it's probably like an 8/10.
An actual divisive game - this is what I'm talking about. You look at its Opencritic score and it's recommended by 1/3 of reviewers and has a lower & higher score breakdown that looks like this:

Total Reviews for Lower and Higher:
4/10 - 7
4.5/10 - 2
5/10 - 14
5.5/10 - 1

8/10 - 20
8.5/10 - 2
9/10 - 4
9.5/10 - 1

Aggregate score is a 67. Now that's a divisive game alright.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Starfield. I fucking adore the game, and it is nearly everything I wanted it to be.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. One of the best fighting games I've ever played, and my favorite in the series.

Metal Gear Solid V: the Phantom Pain. It's mostly divisive among long time fans, but I freaking love the Phantom Pain. I'm struggling to think of a stealth game that plays better.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
One of the primary reasons I'm so excited for the Super Nintendo Switch™ is the prospect of XCX finally getting ported, and I will be there Day 1 if/when it does (not holding my breath for a sequel, but I'll be there day 1 too, assuming the mechs come back).
I mean, Switch 2 should not be necessary to run a port of a Wii U game, but clearly Nintendo is not interested on porting X to the OG Switch.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Why? Does that hate extend back to 2016 or is it just Eternal?

I loved 2016 but Eternal didn't click for me. I like hard games, but I didn't dig how much weapon-switching the game required. Wouldn't say I hate the game, but for whatever reason I just can't get into it. I've tried multiple times