• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Another vote for Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I don't know if its divisive enough for people to not complain about that choice, but I feel like it is one of the lesser liked Zelda games overall.
To me it is still the pinnacle of the old Zelda formula and a fantastic game all around.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
241846099580831-1050x591.jpg

On Metacritic Dark Souls III has an 8.9 critic rating and 9.0 user rating with 5.4k positive reviews and 319 negative. On Steam 94% of the 242,000 reviews are positive.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I struggle to think of a truly divisive game that I would consider a 10. Like more than a loud minority of people online not liking it. I was going to write Ninja Gaiden 2 but I would say it's more underrated and probably not divisive

Last edited:

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Windwaker, SM Odyssey, and Metroid Fusion are the best I can come up with off the top of my head. And I think ERA just made me feel like these are divisive but they are actually not lol

Apr 20, 2022
I'm more surprised that games like Doom eternal, twilight princess, Metroid Prime 2 are considered divisive. Those games had near universal acclaim and the only real complaints are it's not as sequel/prequel rather than the game itself has big controversial issues that split player base in half.

I can't really think it anything for me of the top of my head. Maybe Mario kart double dash? It's more of a 9 then a 10 but I remember a lot hated the gimmick of 2 characters but me and my friends and especially family loved it. It was the first time MK became a household game for us.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really. I guess the only thing that comes close is Sekiro, which is only a divisive game to people that don't like parrying.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Lightning Returns: FFXIII ---- technical issues aside, I thought the gameplay loop and combat is really good. The story is batshit insane that I can't help but adore where they were going for.

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hellpoint is criminally underrated and a solid souls game from a small dev team

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Risen 3: Titan Lords (PC)
It's still no Gothic II, but I thought it was a great game and I loved my nearly 60 hours with it.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
FF7R
Not sure if Returnal is divisive, but if you don't think it's one of the GOAT, you're wrong.

Mar 17, 2024
While it was a critically and commercially success at the time (1997), Quake II became less favorable over many years. A lot of people seemed to have preferred the first game over Quake II. While it has thematically and aesthetically very little in common with its predecessor, I do prefer the second game. The remaster made it an undeniable 10/10 game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2
The Last Guardian (although I played it on PS5 for first time with locked 30fps)
Lies of P (maybe not hugely divisive that its good, but that its comparable in quality with From games - I wouldn't put it with From's cream of the crop but it fits in the discussion for me)
Returnal (the difficulty, original lack of save feature, and being a rouge lite make this one divisive. It may be the best exclusive current gen game to date.)

Smash Adams

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't really consider it a 10/10, I'm still going to say Dragon Age: Inquisition. Really liked that game and can't wait for Dreadwolf.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for The Last Guardian.

Even I got frustrated with the controls in some places, but the world/characters/atmosphere and pretty much everything else was perfect. Absolutely worth it from beginning to end. I fear we'll never get another game like it.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of mine for sure.

It's understandable why it's divisive. Hopefully Nintendo makes a port/remaster at some point.

CK Spider

Jan 24, 2023
Brazil
It's not a divisive game should've been the overall takeaway from that post.
Ok, fair. It's a well received game (which I'm thankful), but I see a lot of people crapping on it for its graphics. It's certainly more divisive than a bunch of games mentioned here. Even then, many of these game were divisive among fans/online, so I can see why they're here. All good!

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Ok, fair. It's a well received game (which I'm thankful), but I see a lot of people crapping on it for its graphics. It's certainly more divisive than a bunch of games mentioned here. Even then, many of these game were divisive among fans/online, so I can see why they're here. All good!
I mean, yeah, it's not a pretty game and it's a technical mess visually, that doesn't make it divisive because there are aspects to criticize. Anyone can like the game and acknowledge that because it's what they're looking at in a visual medium.

I feel like people are just listing things they've seen more than 10 people say they don't like.

And while I do think "vocal minority" is used here as a cheap dismissal of criticisms, you can literally find people criticizing anything online.

DMC is something people still argue about to this day and resulted in a remaster that fixed some of the complaints and then Capcom taking dev back over and going back to the original timeline. That's divisive. When you put Resident Evil Remake, Twilight Princess and the best received Pokemon game in over a decade next to that, it just dilutes the point.

And now I see someone contributed Lies of P. Jesus Christ.

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077, hell, it has becone my favorite game ever which is crazy when you think about what a mess it was when it released

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
The Last Guardian
I think it's better than Shadow of the Colossus. Haven't played Ico yet but I'm assuming it's better than that also.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023
I feel like every Civilization game is divisive amongst its fanbase and every time I (and the silent majority) happily move on to the next one. 10/10 may be a stretch, but every entry is a classic. One more turn!

Another vote for The Last Guardian. It's a classic despite being (in my opinion) the least amazing of the three Team Ico games.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Critically-divisive: Legend of Mana. Not only is the game beautiful, but the quests felt fun and wondering what some rooms were for always piqued my curiosity. The combat was fun, I LOVED the spellcrafting system as well as the fruit system. The game had so many things going on, felt like a living world. Still don't get why it's rated so low.

Gamer-divisive: Super Mario Sunshine. I dunno, this might just be my favorite 3D mario game. It can be tough, but FLUDD just makes platforming so much fun. Loved the summer vibes and the wacky story. Music was really interesting.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. Some are divided on the mini games or the open world

But it did something no other game has done since maybe PS3 games. Made me feel like a kid again and hit emotions that weren't hit in years. Maybe last time I got so emotional was TLOU2 but that lacked the smiles and happyness Rebirth provided me

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Can't think of too many from the top of my head, but MGSV for sure.

There's more 9s though, like the already mentioned DA:I, or DA2. I think every DA game excels at something, but the sequels certainly have some obvious flaws.
There's also Gears Judgment, but I don't think it was divisive. I'm more of a contrarian with my positive opinion of it lol

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Advance Wars Days of Ruin is the most unfair reaction to a game I've ever seen. It's the best Advance Wars game by every metric and a true 10/10, spotless game. I'll never forgive all of you for killing the franchise when it produced one of the greatest masterpieces of all time.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
My answer to the question though would be Pokémon B&W, its overall pretty loved nowadays, but t was definitely pretty divisive among release lol

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I don't know if it would be considered divisive but Arkane's Prey is a 10/10 and deserved a 90+ MetaCritic.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't think Cyberpunk is divisive. It's an excellent game across the board.
Maybe after Phantom Liberty the divisiveness is limited to the games issues with transphobia, but for the longest time it was probably one of, if not the, most divisive game in era in my experience.

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
Wonderful 101 and Kid Icarus: Uprising, both of which are in a bit of a weird position where they were panned on release for their controls but now have dedicated fans. I'm not sure if they're even considered 'divisive' anymore since both of them have been favourably looked at over time, and those decicated fans always name it in some of their favourite games... but I think that's a smaller stretch of the definition than some other candidates.

I enjoy some other games that haven't been beloved on release (Ace Attorney 4, Quantum Break, Gears 5, Pyro) but I tend to fall on the side of feeling that they're pretty good, rather than a 10/10. I rarely play things and feel like they're a shiny 10.

Oct 27, 2017
some of you guys are REALLY stretching the definition of divisive lol
RIGHT???

What I find "divisive" tends to mean in enthusiast spaces is "I was scrolling through a thread on era/twitter/reddit/whatever & between positive comments #84 & #85 I saw 6 consecutive replies trashing Big-Boom Bullet Bro 3 : Blood Moon...damn"
I think there's two factors at play here: 1) Humans tend to laser focus on negativity; like, YouTubers have been known to talk about having their days ruined after seeing 5 critical/negative comments in a sea of 100+ positive ones. And 2) The nature of internet comment/reply sections amplify + welcome the most outspoken and extreme folks. Keep in mind the old 1% or 1–9–90 rule.

Like...people are listing Twilight Princess here and I'm baffled...not only did the OG version of the game review extremely well (95 on MC. User score at 8.9), it was also the best selling mainline LoZ (3D or 2D) till Breath of the Wild...the game literally made top 5 on Thomas Game Doc's Zelda survey & that had 7,000+ responses from fans. I think it's ridiculous that 2 dozen loud nerds popping off in some reply section can weigh as much as everything mentioned lol

I feel like a divisive game is one where across spaces the poll results consistently end up like:
"How do you feel about 'Lost Dreamland Dynasty: A Nightmare's Wrath'? "
"It's great! 38%"
"It's meh. 27%"
"It stinks! 35%"

Basically, when you can get the lurkers to interact you'll get close to the truth of things lol

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
RIGHT???

What I find "divisive" tends to mean in enthusiast spaces is "I was scrolling through a thread on era/twitter/reddit/whatever & between positive comments #84 & #85 I saw 6 consecutive replies trashing Big-Boom Bullet Bro 3 : Blood Moon...damn"
I think there's two factors at play here: 1) Humans tend to laser focus on negativity; like, YouTubers have been known to talk about having their days ruined after seeing 5 critical/negative comments in a sea of 100+ positive ones. And 2) The nature of internet comment/reply sections amplify + welcome the most outspoken and extreme folks. Keep in mind the old 1% or 1–9–90 rule.

Like...people are listing Twilight Princess here and I'm baffled...not only did the OG version of the game review extremely well (95 on MC. User score at 8.9), it was also the best selling mainline LoZ (3D or 2D) till Breath of the Wild...the game literally made top 5 on Thomas Game Doc's Zelda survey & that had 7,000+ responses from fans. I think it's ridiculous that a couple dozen loud nerds popping off in a reply section can weigh as much as everything mentioned lol

I feel like a divisive game is one where across spaces the poll results consistently end up like:
"How do you feel about 'Lost Dreamland Dynasty: A Nightmare's Wrath'? "
"It's great! 38%"
"It's meh! 27%"
"It stinks! 35%"

Basically, when you can get the semi-lurkers to interact you'll get close to the truth of things lol
It's certainly been interesting to see the impact a vocal minority can have on perception with some of these picks. Granted I didn't really define a scope of "divisiveness" for the thread, just gave the example of Harold Halibut which has been getting a mix of low and high scores.

The Twilight princess mentions remind me how confused I was watching GameXplain's Skyward Sword review 12 years ago. Andre started it with something like "many gamers hoped it would make up for the disappointing Twilight princess" which felt like an alternate reality spin. Even looking at the comments, most of the top ones on this Skyward Sword review are about Twilight Princess lol

View: https://youtu.be/_tIVs1QzcoU?si=Z0OeBs-pelkrBnmm

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space 3 is better than Dead Space 1 (original)

More unique situations. More unique enemies. Less going through the same areas. More compelling weapons. A better conclusion. A different style of fear instead of just having jump-scares...and let's be honest DS1 stopped being scary in much the same way. An actually unique take on co-op.

Yes yes, there are some areas which fans often point 1. Universal ammo isn't *great*, although I'd gladly take it for the weapon crafting it facilitated. Human enemies aren't good because...I guess they weren't scary enough? I guess, but the tradeoff for a brand-new enemy faction is easily worth it. Story remains whatever - let's not kid ourselves that DS1 was particularly high art, or that snow-horror isn't a genre with a rich history. MTX is easily ignorable. It's far and away the better game, but to this day I see it continuously dumped on for something-something-EA-something-something-covershooter.

Arkham Knight is better than Asylum, which is the worst game in the series.

This is another one I see all the time. The complaints about the Batmobile are *massively* overblown, and people are kidding themselves if they claim that its exclusion wouldn't have been felt after a 3rd game based in Gotham. It would be endless "where's the Batmobile!?" and "why isn't the Batmobile used in puzzles ever?". Endless. We were already getting these sort of complaints by Origin! At the same time, every other aspect of the game is burnished to some of the highs in the series. The combat flows beautifully. The predator stuff is as developed as it has ever been. The level design, while not as good as City, is still quite strong. I guess some Batmobile fights were a little lackluster for fans, but that's from a story perspective - from the actual gameplay, I liked the Batmobile bosses. Yes, even that one.

Conversely, the bosses in Asylum are terrible. Just godawful, really. Other aspects of Asylum weren't as bad, but clearly underdeveloped in comparison. The exploration of the island is mostly whatever, with virtually nothing being done with the so-called "Metroidvania" aspects of it. If anything, this potential is wasted, coming across much more as asset reuse than clever pathing from place to place. The same holds for other components too. Combat...underdeveloped in comparison. Predator stuff...underdeveloped in comparison. Puzzles...basic (remember how easy and practical it was to just have detective mode on all the time?). I played the series in release order, and I liked Asylum then, as I do now. But it is *easily* surpassed by others in the series, which definitely includes Knight.