• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
TLOU 2. I think it's one of the best games I've ever played, and some people genuinely hate it. Though to be fair I don't think much of anyone disputes the quality of the game's production, moreso just its story, which is understandably subjective.

Also, as a more obscure choice, Weaponlord on SNES and Genesis. I absolutely adored that game and thought it was one of the better fighting games of the gen, but it's hard and the moves are overly tricky to pull off. Still, the setting, the music and the graphics were all topnotch. I still love it.

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly been interesting to see the impact a vocal minority can have on perception with some of these picks. Granted I didn't really define a scope of "divisiveness" for the thread, just gave the example of Harold Halibut which has been getting a mix of low and high scores.

The Twilight princess mentions remind me how confused I was watching GameXplain's Skyward Sword review 12 years ago. Andre started it with something like "many gamers hoped it would make up for the disappointing Twilight princess" which felt like an alternate reality spin. Even looking at the comments, most of the top ones on this Skyward Sword review are about Twilight Princess lol

View: https://youtu.be/_tIVs1QzcoU?si=Z0OeBs-pelkrBnmm

Oh wow lol, I'm glad you shared that, thanks!
I think it's worth noting that folks with notable platforms can also have an oversized effect on the perception of a piece of media.
I watched my fair share of GX back in the day & I know that Andre + the former members that founded GVG were always quite critical/negative towards TP.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say 10/10 but suicide squad is much closer than an 8 than a 6. Might've even been a 9 with the right post launch support, but doubt that'll happen with the sales being too low.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I mean if you take divisive to only mean large groups of people who both have strong positive and negative feelings towards it

Yes, that is what divisive means. A small number of people not liking something that's almost universally acclaimed doesn't make it divisive. In no universe are games like Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding, TLoU 1/2, Dark Souls III, or DOOM Eternal divisive.

Well, Cyberpunk might have been at launch due to the really bad last-gen versions, but it's certainly not anymore.

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
I don't think games scoring 90+ on Metacritic and having multiple GOTY awards should be considered as divisive. Makes no sense to me.

If so, than anything goes, as you could easily find a vocal contrarian minority for pretty much any piece of entertainment ever acclaimed (not only games).

OP's challenge becomes much harder if you limit your choices to games that were distant from universal critical acclaim (forget user scores, those are completely busted), but still managed to capture your heart unlike most other games you've played.

My answer is Lost Odyssey.

While I don't think it is a perfect game, I would definetely rank it closer to a 10, than the 7.8 Metacritic it had.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious about Harold Halibut! It's absolutely gorgeous. Great to read your thoughts, OP.

Games that I think are genuine 10/10:
Final Fantasy XII
The Last Guardian
Silent Hill 4
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Octopath Traveler 2
Kentucky Route Zero

Games that are 10/10 in my heart:
Dragon Age 2
NieR: Gestalt

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
Killzone 2, the GOAT FPS. There was literally a time when I was one of the best people in the world at this game. My shotgun and revolver combo just wrecked. This was the only thing I played for years. I'll never have another gaming experience like it.

Last edited:

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
Far Cry 2. It kicked my ass as an 18-year-old gamer who had never played a game quite so unforgiving on console. Sure it was rough around the edges in a few places. It still rocked.

Sep 12, 2018
Final Fantasy 16
Bayonetta & Bayonetta 2
MGSV
Sifu
Infamous
Sonic Mania

Idk if anybody would fight me on bayonetta but I cannot stress enough how much I love those games

Last edited:

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Asuras-Wrath.jpg

The only one that I really feel like meets the criteria for me is probably Acura's Wrath.

This. Especially with the final chapter/true ending + the two extra episodes that are nicely animated + the Street Fighter DLC.
Imagine if they would release this complete package for current systems 🥲

oty

Feb 28, 2023
blue dragon for the 360. not 10/10, but for some fucking reason i got really into blue dragon as a kid, so this game just...has a hold on my heart

May 24, 2021
Gonna throw my hat in the "Death Stranding" pile.

But also....

Stranger of Paradise.

Ok, maybe not like a "full on 10/10", but like a 10/10 in spirit. My issues with the game are largely minor.

Puddi64

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 3, 2022
I don't really have a divisive game I consider a 10/10 but I loved XBC2 and it's certainly got quite a reputation around here. I'd put XBC3 slightly ahead, but 2 isn't far behind and I prefer it to XBC and X.

I've also been a FFXIII apologist since release but it's more of an 8.5 for me than a 10. Also FFVIII is considered trash by a lot of fans and it's one of my favorites in the series.

Last edited:

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really curious about Harold Halibut! It's absolutely gorgeous. Great to read your thoughts, OP.

Games that I think are genuine 10/10:
Final Fantasy XII
The Last Guardian
Silent Hill 4
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Octopath Traveler 2
Kentucky Route Zero

Games that are 10/10 in my heart:
Dragon Age 2
NieR: Gestalt
I didn't know KRZ was considered divisive. Thought it was pretty well loved.

Oct 27, 2017

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Probably both of the Turok reboots – especially Turok: Evolution on PS2. Haven't gone back to either since they came out but the number of hours /i put into those games was crazy even though they were nothing special . Maybe more 8s than 10s tho

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Knight is fantastic and the Batmobile is good if and only if you enable Battle Mode Toggle. Not making that the default is the game's biggest design flaw.

I don't think it's divisive among fans, but reviews were lukewarm for Ace Combat Zero. It's the best game in the series.

Last edited:

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy II is incredible and one of the most important games ever made with how much emphasis it put on its story, and leveling progression. RPG as a genre wouldn't be where it is without it.

Fallout 4 is very fun and a way better game than Fallout 3.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

ChocoBuddy

Apr 9, 2024
Adding +1 to the Death Stranding count. Fascinating, soothing, fun game with an open world that forces you to engage with it with your brain on.

glow39

May 4, 2022
Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. All 3 games. I would take a bullet for Lightning. VIII too.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Scorn may not be a 10/10 game for me but I found way way better than the reception led me to believe. It excels with creepy atmosphere and allows you to take it all in without bombarding you with HUD elements or tutorials. And fun fact, I completed the game without ever using the gun properly.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Linger in Shadows (PS3). Such an amazing experience. Was on the edge of my seat and enjoyed every second of it. Only later did I learn it wasn't very highly regarded and considered by some just trash. I honestly it's one of the most unique and great experiences on the console.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Aliens: Fireteam Elite might be up there for me. Though I don't know if it was truly divisive, just a lot of people not playing it.

The only way I could see TLOU2 on here is if the divisive aspect came from the incels and gamergates online. But it was fabulous.

Scorn may not be a 10/10 game for me but I found way way better than the reception led me to believe. It excels with creepy atmosphere and allows you to take it all in without bombarding you with HUD elements or tutorials. And fun fact, I completed the game without ever using the gun properly.
Now that was a good game! I am curious by what you mean using the gun properly?

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Death Stranding, FFXV, and Watch Dogs 2.

Watch Dogs 2 is better then GTA5 come at me.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Aliens: Fireteam Elite might be up there for me. Though I don't know if it was truly divisive, just a lot of people not playing it.

The only way I could see TLOU2 on here is if the divisive aspect came from the incels and gamergates online. But it was fabulous.

Now that was a good game! I am curious by what you mean using the gun properly?
I either missed it or didn't try it the right way, but I never got the "bullets" for the gun, I simply avoided the enemies or used the "poke" to kill one in isolation. I finished the game and went to look up a playthrough caue I was certain there's shooting in the game and sure enough.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
For many ITT Divisive means:
  • Not as popular as I think it should be
  • Wildly popular but a handful of people said they didn't like it.
I wanna see the real polarising stuff where people love it or absolutely despise it.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

I can see this. It's a more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts kind of game.

Now this is divisive. Bringing in all the loot shooter nonsense, unrealised survival mechanics, introduction of drones.On launch it was a bit of a gut pucnh to Wildlands fans.

Then, like 2 years of updates making it more like Wildlands later, introducing loads of tunable difficulty options and turning the loot off, it ends up being a pretty great co-op shooter.

Both games sit in this niche alone of co-operative, third person stealth-shooters. There just isn't really anything else.

Both games also handle progression especially well between players in a party.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny/Destiny 2. I don't care about content being vaulted or the sandbox changes that the community will describe as 'a kick in the teeth'. For the last (nearly) 10 years it's been one of the most consistlenty fun games to play that nothing has come close to matching since it was released.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
I mean, Switch 2 should not be necessary to run a port of a Wii U game, but clearly Nintendo is not interested on porting X to the OG Switch.

I believe MOnolith said a while back that porting XCX to Switch would be difficult, so while I was hopeful I was never really expecting it.

But with XC1/2/3 and their work on TOTK done, Switch 2 launch window seems like a good time to go back to XCX and do that one properly, since the original was unfinished.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I believe MOnolith said a while back that porting XCX to Switch would be difficult, so while I was hopeful I was never really expecting it.

But with XC1/2/3 and their work on TOTK done, Switch 2 launch window seems like a good time to go back to XCX and do that one properly, since the original was unfinished.
And I'd be mad as hell because I wouldn't be able to play it for a very long time if that was the case lol.

That's why I usually say I just want a port.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I appreciate your bravery

I am too scared to say these words aloud at times. 3 is ehh tho
Some of the story and pacing choices frustrate me but it was still a blast to play and the story stuff at the end was satisfying. It's below KH2 and BBS for me for sure but I still really like it.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited: