• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The most recent one that comes to mind is CP2077.

The game has many flaws but if it clicks with you it's incredible. Especially the DLC.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I either missed it or didn't try it the right way, but I never got the "bullets" for the gun, I simply avoided the enemies or used the "poke" to kill one in isolation. I finished the game and went to look up a playthrough caue I was certain there's shooting in the game and sure enough.
Oh wow! Talk about Elite run. Probably made the situation/enivronment a lot more dire

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Mine is weird.. but The Division was EVERYTHING I wanted it to be. I remember playing and being like this is perfect. and then I saw IGN gave it like a 6/10. I was like what?? how???

Pixelpusher

Mar 25, 2022
So in the last year I played Asura's Wrath for the first time. I just checked the MC on it, and it 71. I totally thought it was closer to a 85-90. Its like being and episodic anime, I couldnt put it down lol.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
FFXII is a game I adore, but I'd still drop a point to an 9/10 for its disappointing final narrative push and some other minor nitpicks. Overall it's a brilliant game with one of the most expansive and intriguing worlds to explore. A massive hunt list that tests your gambit prowess, not to mention the gambit system that streamlines actions but still retains tactical nuance in plenty of party duels. Its the last solo entry I definitively loved in the series.

DMC1. I liked 3-5 just fine, and recognize where 1 has issues, but I still find it has the most captivating setting, enemy design(both boss and grunts) and even the castle was neat to explore. I loved seeing the changes in the different difficulties, even adding new enemy moves, something missed in sequels.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I could see TLOU2 on here is if the divisive aspect came from the incels and gamergates online. But it was fabulous.
Clearly anyone who had a problem with the game was a piece of shit. Yep, that must be it. No other possible reason at all. Not like it had a divisive story or anything.

RogersBase

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's already been brought up but I think Death Stranding would be my answer to this too. I love Kojima games and was down to try it from the get-go but nothing about what I saw in the trailers fully appealed to me until I actually played it for myself.

I got totally engrossed in the story and found the "walking sim" gameplay to be equal parts relaxing and stressful (which made for a really memorable gameplay experience).

My honorable mentions would be two games that have also been brought up a bunch: Skyward Sword and FFXII

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
Resident Evil 4 and 5.

When I first started using social media - Orkut, to be pretty specific - I was introduced to a whole plethora of games and opinions surrounding them. RE4 was a game that seemed very divisive, with purists calling anyone who liked it pseudo-fans of the franchise because it wasn't really Resident Evil. I wouldn't play the game myself for another couple of years - I only owned an N64, PS1 and Dreamcast at the time - but I ended up loving it when I got the chance to play it at a friend's.

Shit really hit the fan when RE5 was released. People were pissed, others were overjoyed at how great of a cooperative experience it was, and I was there just watching streams (I think it was on Twitch's predecessor, Justin.tv) because most games didn't come out on PC day-and-date. When I finally played it many months later, and RE5 being the first game I purchased with my own money (that I can remember of), I fell in love with it. I still consider it leagues above RE4 in almost every way.

I also have a soft spot for Silent Hill Homecoming, but it isn't a 10/10 game by any stretch.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Resident Evil 4 and 5.

When I first started using social media - Orkut, to be pretty specific - I was introduced to a whole plethora of games and opinions surrounding them. RE4 was a game that seemed very divisive, with purists calling anyone who liked it pseudo-fans of the franchise because it wasn't really Resident Evil. I wouldn't play the game myself for another couple of years - I only owned an N64, PS1 and Dreamcast at the time - but I ended up loving it when I got the chance to play it at a friend's.

Shit really hit the fan when RE5 was released. People were pissed, others were overjoyed at how great of a cooperative experience it was, and I was there just watching streams (I think it was on Twitch's predecessor, Justin.tv) because most games didn't come out on PC day-and-date. When I finally played it many months later, and RE5 being the first game I purchased with my own money (that I can remember of), I fell in love with it. I still consider it leagues above RE4 in almost every way.

I also have a soft spot for Silent Hill Homecoming, but it isn't a 10/10 game by any stretch.
RE5 I could see being divisive. RE4 though? I know you said you were in a very specific pocket on internet discussion, but that game is about as close as you can get to something being nearly universally beloved.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
KH 358/2 Days. It was the perfect pick up and play handheld game for me- it was basically my Monster Hunter.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
midnight-sunsHD-scaled.jpg

A lot of people disliked the Three Houses esque social hub but I loved it, and the gameplay was top tier as you'd expect from Firaxis. Wish it did better so we could've gotten a sequel.
giphy.gif

I started playing it recently and I'm hooked. The writing is great and the gameplay is soooooooooooo amazing. Really, this game is a gem.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
RE5 I could see being divisive. RE4 though? I know you said you were in a very specific pocket on internet discussion, but that game is about as close as you can get to something being nearly universally beloved.
As I mentioned, back then there were mainly two kinds of fans in the fandom: those who were accepting of RE4 and those who deemed RE4 inferior due to the changes in story, setting and gameplay. Discourse on it only turned around circa RE6's release from what I can recall.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I don't consider anything a 10/10 really but I love a lot of games that people love to hate.

Dragon Age II
Mass Effect 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Nier on PS3 > Nier Replicant Remaster
uhhh, all of Kingdom Hearts is great
The Last of Us Part II
Skyward Sword isn't the best Zelda game but it's great in many ways

No post has made me more worried to play TLoU2 than this.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning has the best writing and combat of any similar wrpg. I will forever be mad that we are never getting a sequel.

Also Oblivion. I fucking loved Oblivion, even with the level scaling. Shivering Isles is the best expansion in a game ever.

ArcticDonkey

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm boring because there's not any games I can think of that I consider a 10 but are considered divisive. Midnight Suns maybe like others have said but I don't think that's divisive. It sold 10 copies and there's people that couldn't get into it but from what I can tell there is a lot of love from people that stuck with it.

Closest would be FF XV? It's in no way a 10 but I liked it a lot more than I would've thought going in.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
Rain World is the only one that really fits that bill for me as a truly perfect game. Although given how receptive actual users have been to it since its release, it doesn't even feel especially divisive anymore.

Devil's Third multiplayer though? In my heart of hearts, I'll forever praise it for its utterly unique combat mechanics, game modes, and warring clan system. Fantastic game.

aurynn

Jan 30, 2023
Wellington, New Zealand
Gotta go for Fallout 76. One of the best Fallout games, absolute miles above 3 and 4, for me, and up there with 1, 2, and New Vegas.

Otherwise, Dark Souls II remains my favourite of the series.

How is Prey divisive? It's like all of Arkane said "what if an art deco immersive sim but actually good?" and behold; it is amazing.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
Pirates of the Caribbean (2003, Xbox, PC) is definitely one for me, jank as hell and the controls are interesting (hold left click to walk forward, hold right click to move backwards, move the mouse left or right to turn.) but I still have yet to encounter a better pirate game so far.

Dark Souls II I'm mixed on saying counts here. It was pretty much universally acclaimed by critics, and it's more that it became an odd Last-Jedi-esque subject of wild vocal minority hate online. All the same, I went into it hearing bad things about it and I adored it, one of my top 5 games ever.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
the discourse™️ is a little misleading, guys. TLOU2 is not some weird outlier, it received near universal critical acclaim. That's like saying you're a rebel for liking Titanic or something

Yep.
By that metric every 10/10 game has its share of detractors, doesn't make them divisive.

I don't think there's any "divisive" game I consider 10/10. If a game is divisive, it usually has objective flaws.
Divisive games that are among my all time favourites sure, plenty.
But favourite is not the same as 10/10

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XII.

I love the battle system, the world, the cast, the score. After coming off the claustrophobic FFX it was a revelation.

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts.

Opinions were ravaged by over-attachment to the prior games, and players lacking creativity with the building system.

Jqydon

Apr 25, 2023
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I'm stretching the definition of divisive a little with this one but have seen many dismiss it because of the gameplay but frankly I couldn't care how it plays when the story is that good and the world that immersive.

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg
Blackout - Call of Duty BLOPS4

Warzone Verdansk was close, but never ever had I had fun and met friendly randoms who I call good friends now in a BR again. It was a bit rough around the edges but that game was amazing.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
The only way I could see TLOU2 on here is if the divisive aspect came from the incels and gamergates online. But it was fabulous.
I mean, 2020 wasn't that long ago. Reducing it down to 90+ MC score and GotY award wins is ignoring what the actual conversation was.

There was the whole crunch conversation, people criticized the TGAs for awarding a game made under those conditions.

You're the saying the only way you can see it is if it came from incels but those conversations with other criticisms are still there and easily viewable. On this site, Twitter, Reddit and several gaming outlets.

The game itself was criticized was its treatment of black characters on other PoCs. The parallels with the Israel Palestine conflict. Game pacing toward the end was an issue and several aspects of the story itself.

I mean, I get that it's easier to just ignore all that and blame the chuds so its easier to dismiss the criticisms, but I feel like this was all too recent to play dumb about.

May 10, 2019
No Man's Sky, but ONLY the first year of it. After they made it "good" and kept going, it felt more like unpaid labor.

Starfield, to the point that it's the only BGS game I truly get long term enjoyment out of with a minimal amount of mods.

FF 15, without qualifiers. Great dungeons (especially the Pitioss Ruins), great lead cast relationship dynamics, great fishing, great food.

A lot of modern fans of the series that jumped in with P3 and newer like to crap on it, but the first Persona is also still an amazing game to me. Atlus, I'm begging ya to bring back the first person dungeon crawls to MegaTen.

Bengraven