Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
A lot of people argue that movie sequels mostly suck and never live up to the original. Are video games the same? Or is a video game a complete different kettle of fish. What games didn't need a sequel? What original game is Better than its sequel?

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Zelda Majora's Mask.
Mass Effect 2.
Dishonored 2
Uncharted 2

Those are all better than the original games.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy 2. But the thing is, sequels will never feel as fresh, IMO. I prefer Galaxy 1 for example.

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
I think sequels more often allows the developers to re-adjust a few things gameplay wise, that couldn't be fixed without changing huge parts of level and mission structures in the first one.

Red dead redemption was actually good, unlike the first one.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Naw, there are tons of examples where sequels are better games. Some of it does come down to opinion though

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There are way too many easy and obvious examples that disprove this, it's not even a discussion worth having almost :D

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Completely different kettle of fish.

Uncharted 2 says no.

Arkham Asylum says yes.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
- Mass Effect 2
- Uncharted 2
- Portal 2

I think overall the track record might be a little better than movies, but it's close.

Nakazato

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. But it's the preference of choices Imo. Some people don't like mechanics changing.

Uncharted 2 is better than Uncharted 1

Mgs 3 is a better game than mgs 2

The list go on.

But I will agree with movies tho. But recently the sequels have been better than the original in most cases.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Really depends on the IP I guess

I love all the AC sequels more than the original

But I'm super dissapointed naughty dog us making a last of us 2, and trust me when I say TLOU is probably my favorite game of all time

Series should have ended with the first game credits. Nothing will top that last scene

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think sequels more often allows the developers to re-adjust a few things gameplay wise, that couldn't be fixed without changing huge parts of level and mission structures in the first one.

Red dead redemption was actually good, unlike the first one.

This basically. Since games are an interactive medium and technology evolves a sequel can be visually and mechanically improved. Storytelling is subjective I suppose.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you can, but is not an outrageous claim by any stretch of the imagination.
Sure it's not an outrageous claims, many MANY debates about these games in particular. It just goes to show that opinions will always prevent a definitive answer to questions like the OP's. Thankfully, at that :P

PSantos

Videogamer.com
Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Uncharted 2 is way better than the original Uncharted. Same can be said about Assassin's Creed 2, even though I actually liked the first one.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Games are more mechanics driven than other media, and thus more prone to being improved by sequels

KOTOR 2
New Vegas
Mahvel 3
Baldurs Gate 2
Battlefront 2

Sequels are pretty good in gaming.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
But City is better than Asylum

I prefer the more contained story of Asylum than the sprawling metropolis of City, personally. Felt a lot tighter in terms of story to me.

I can completely understand why people prefer City, though. Bad example on my part to demonstrate the point, perhaps.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
No. Uncharted 2 is the best example of this for me.

Although I prefer Dead Space 1, Dead Space 2 improved on the first in many ways.

Few more examples are Assassins Creed 2, mass effect 2, Gears of War 2.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Zelda Majora's Mask.
Mass Effect 2.

Those are all better than the original games.

I disagree with Mass Effect 2 purely because it was a very different game to the first one.

Regarding game sequels being worse than their predecessors I disagree. Halo 2 was better and more polished than CE. Assassins Creed 2 and KOTOR 2 are other examples.

I think the determining factor here is that one thing can only be "new" once. Although sequels are completely new games the world is the same as their predecessors so people usually go with some expectations as to what is going to happen and what is it not therefore with loses that "WOW" factor.

Last edited:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can probably find as many great 2nd games as you can awful ones. For every deus ex invisible war you'll find a baldur's gate 2.

Completely different kettle of fish.

Uncharted 2 says no.

Arkham Asylum says yes.

Arkham City was an improvement in almost every way though. Maybe not story, but in every other place that matters.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any kind of generalization like that is, generally (wink), dumb.

There are worse sequels and better sequels with all kinds of media.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Generally, sequels are better. Its when you get to 5, 6, and up that you start to see the fatigue.
I could list a bunch of sequels considered to be better:
Pokemon Gold and Silver
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Resident Evil 2
System Shock 2
Halo 2
Half-Life 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Red Dead Redemption
God of War II
Uncharted 2
Starwars Battlefront II
The Witcher 3
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Dishonored 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mass Effect 2

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 2, XCOM 2, and Front Mission 3 prove that video game sequels are fully capable of improving on their predecessors.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people argue that movie sequels mostly suck and never live up to the original. Are video games the same? Or is a video game a complete different kettle of fish. What games didn't need a sequel? What original game is Better than its sequel?

No, the iterative nature of moment to moment gameplay design means most game sequels play better than the original games.

Not to mention that sequels in video games typically feature bigger budgets are more resources, it's actually uncommon that the first games are better, technically speaking, than their sequels.

Now, if you play video games for the story or original gameplay concepts, it could be argued that you as an individual player may enjoy the first title in a series more than the sequels, but the market at large tends to trend towards sequels selling better and being better received.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Since I just had it on my mind:

Fatal Frame II on PS2 is definitely superior to the original Fatal Frame game. It builds on the core gameplay mechanics as well as the atmosphere and pretty much cranks everything up to 11, with an even more creepier setting, a bigger world, neat encounters, a genuine frightening atmosphere and much more. And since they changed the setting from pretty much a single house to small village it still felt fresh. Amazing game. Amazing sequel.

Shade Vortex

Oct 28, 2017
USA, WA.
Sonic 2 is much better than 1, though not as good as 3 & Knuckles. Mario 3 is better than either version of 2, and I'd say that Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal were better than Red/Blue/Yellow.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
tenchu stealth assassins,the sequel (which story wise is a prequel) was not as good as the original.at least in my opinion the level design was not as good,i enjoyed the original a lot more i still do when i occasionally go back and emulate it.

might be about time to do that again.

Shadow Yuk

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
There are many titles who surpass their predecessor, and sequels that are just inferior
Other users already said so many valid title, I say Kingdom Hearts 2 which is my favourite game, who achieved to refine many aspects from its predecessor

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
Usually for video games the sequel, the first one anyway, is only upside in almost every way. After that your results may vary. From what I noticed.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
I feel like it's easier to make a sequel in gaming than in film if your game is focused on gameplay. Having to continue a story that's ended once is a lot harder than finding new toys to throw into a proven formula.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
There is a real danger if the original game did NOT have obvious issues.
That can lead to the developer changing systems that do not need changing, leading to a worse product. ( See resistance 2 and halo 2 (campaign)

If the original game had clear potential for improvement, then the sequel is almost always better. (Uncharted 2)

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
Nope.

Assassin's Creed II
Mass Effect 2
Uncharted 2
Soul Calibur 2
Bayonetta 2
Persona 2
Mega Man Zero 2
Mega Man 2!
Gungrave OverDose

These are literally just off the top of my head immediate sequels that are infinitely better than the originals.