Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching lots of old Star Trek lately and I really love Vulcans. Spock and Sarek come off as really charming to me-and they seem to appreciate humans even if they find them to emotional.

But it seems other Vulcans seem to despise humans and just find them unbearable. Sarek married a human wife, and it seems like she was ostracized and Spock had a tough upbringing for being ridiculed for his half-human parentage.

It just seems a shame, because Vulcans seem really cool and I wonder if they let other people live in Vulcan or come visit on vacation etc.
tumblr_pqtah5cagh1qadho7o1_540.gif

This place seems like it would be a great tourist destination.
latest

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Zarek fetishized Human Women, that's why He was stationed there and kept marrying Human Women, besides him, no other Vulkan was into that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Vulcans don't like humans. They are allied with them because they are 100% aware that having humans as an enemy would be far worse for them and the universe than having them as an ally. It's self-preservation.

Feb 24, 2018
Depends on the Vulcans, Vorik and Taurik on Voy and TNG seemed to and one that's often glossed over with the DS9 episode Take Me Out to the Holosuites is that outside of Solok, the other Vulcans on his team didn't seem to share his bigotry and were seen celebrating and talking to DS9 crew afterwards. Sybok and those party Vulcans seemed to like humans as well.

I feel a lot of it has to do with the flanderization they and especially the Klingons got around the time of late TNG up to Enterprise, not helped by the mandate that Archer couldn't be wrong (which resulted in infamous changes to script like Dear Doctor) which ended up making the Vulcans look worse and worse (while also justifying Archer's distrust of them). Jolene Blalock who played T'Pol (and a big Trekkie herself) on Enterprise constantly argued with the shows producer because of this and how she was being portrayed (along with a ton of other writing issues).

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Liking is an emotion. The only emotions vulcans are allowed to show are contempt and irritation. Which would mean when they hang out with Cardassians, they're terrible flirts.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Spock's father in law in SNW is a total bro, homie just wants everyone to get along so he can eat delicious human food.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a recurring theme that Vulcans don't seem to like humans... until they spend a lot time around them.

I've always gotten the impression that they generally do respect the hell out of humanity though, at least their recent achievements. They just don't understand how their emotional instability could have lead to Earth's rise/success to get to this point.

It feels like humans see Vulcans as just being slightly different humanoids, whereas Vulcans see humans as truly being 'alien' to them, until they come to understand them.

Launch

Oct 27, 2017
T'Pol eventually found them acceptable. She developed a friendship with Archer and had a romantic relationship with Trip.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They're basically the space equivalent of Tolkien Elves, and see humans about the same way.

See also how in Marvel, every civilization in the galaxy sees Earth - it's just a technologically stunted, overly dramatic, mudball shithole that for some cosmic joke of a reason has a disproportionate number of superheroes who somehow always stumble ass backward into impossible victories over the Thanos/Glactus/Beyonders of the universe.

I think shows have always portrayed Vulcans having a wide range of opinions about humans. It's just that Vulcans come across as looking down on most everywhere because, with no little irony, Vulcans are quite proud of what they see themselves as having achieved with logic. Their pride is based in a logical assessment of their civilizational superiority. But it's still pride.

If I were writing Trek, I'd portray Vulcan annoyance at humans as predicated on projection. Humans society and history is way too similar to Vulcan history before the schism. It must also stick in Vulcan craws to see humans having gone through the same nuclear war scenario... but rather than splitting in two, humans came together and overcame themselves.

Other Vulcans besides Spock show appreciation for humans and other sentients, like Tuvok. And T'Lyn from Lower Decks is an outright fan of other cultures and the people in them. She is a great example in fact of a different Vulcan personality - she does not use logical deconstruction to belittle and rebuke. But to inform and suggest how someone can improve based on what seems like genuine concern.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think shows have always portrayed Vulcans having a wide range of opinions about humans. It's just that Vulcans come across as looking down on most everywhere because, with no little irony, Vulcans are quite proud of what they see themselves as having achieved with logic. Their pride is based in a logical assessment of their civilizational superiority. But it's still pride.

If I were writing Trek, I'd portray Vulcan annoyance at humans as predicated on projection. Humans society and history is way too similar to Vulcan history before the schism. It must also stick in Vulcan craws to see humans having gone through the same nuclear war scenario... but rather than splitting in two, humans came together and overcame themselves.

Other Vulcans besides Spock show appreciation for humans and other sentients, like Tuvok. And T'Lyn from Lower Decks is an outright fan of other cultures and the people in them. She is a great example in fact of a different Vulcan personality - she does not use logical deconstruction to belittle and rebuke. But to inform and suggest how someone can improve based on what seems like genuine concern.
T'Lyn is awesome. Still Vulcan, but clear headed.

www.youtube.com

I Must Be Vulcan As A Mother***er - Star Trek Lower Decks 4x05

I Must Be Vulcan As A Mother***er - Star Trek Lower Decks 4x05

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Proper Vulcans don't like anything.
It's only loose cannons and the like that might like humans.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
If memory serves, we smell quite pungent to them and always come across as overly emotional. One Vulcan once asked T'Pol how she could stand being in such close proximity to them for so long. They're also non-plussed about the obsession with their ears.

A society that has been repressing their emotions for thousands of years is likely to find humanity quite annoying, so it's not surprising.