• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I wanted to download my 100% Spiderman PS4 game save to the remastered edition of the game to unlock my 2nd platinum trophy automatically. I made sure to upload all my saves to the cloud before I got my PS5. Do I have to manually upload it through the PS4 version before I can download it on the remastered edition? Cause I pressed R1 at the save files and it couldn't find my saves.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I just downloaded the PS4 game on my ps5 and uploaded the save then deleted it

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
You need a copy of the PS4 game to convert the save file into one the PS5 version can recognise. Just keeping the PS4 save doesn't help, unfortunately.

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
No. I just downloaded the PS4 game on my ps5 and uploaded the save then deleted it

That's the thing I have the Spiderman PS4 already installed with the game saved data on the console storage. Do I have to move the PS4 version game install from my external drive onto PS5's SSD for it to work?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing I have the Spiderman PS4 already installed with the game saved data on the console storage. Do I have to move the PS4 version game install from my external drive onto PS5's SSD for it to work?
No. Just start the game. On the main loading save menu you can push R1 to upload save. Same after on remastered. R1 to download save

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing I have the Spiderman PS4 already installed with the game saved data on the console storage. Do I have to move the PS4 version game install onto PS5's SSD for it to work?

I think you need to have the PS4 version installed and updated to the newest patch, load up the PS4 version and there should be an option within the game's menu to upload the save. You have to use the in-game utility, not just the regular PS+ cloud save upload.

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
No. Just start the game. On the main loading save menu you can push R1 to upload save. Same after on remastered. R1 to download save
I think you need to have the PS4 version installed and updated to the newest patch, load up the PS4 version and there should be an option within the game's menu to upload the save. You have to use the in-game utility, not just the regular PS+ cloud save upload.

Ahhhh, so it is an in game function. Yeah I went on the remastered edition and pressed R1 and it said there was no saved file. So I have to go back to the original PS4 version, and press R1 to upload my file. THEN, I have to go on the remastered edition and press R1 to download my file. Got it.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh, so it is an in game function. Yeah I went on the remastered edition and pressed R1 and it said there was no saved file. So I have to go back to the original PS4 version, and press R1 to upload my file. THEN, I have to go on the remastered edition and press R1 to download my file. Got it.

Yeah, it's the same with No Man's Sky. I uploaded my save to the PS Plus cloud and the PS5 version didn't see it. Turned out they had added an in-game upload to the PS4 version.

My guess is there's some kind of conversion that has to take place.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, it's the same with No Man's Sky. I uploaded my save to the PS Plus cloud and the PS5 version didn't see it. Turned out they had added an in-game upload to the PS4 version.

My guess is there's some kind of conversion that has to take place.
Thanks. That's helpful to know. I don't own the PS4 version of the game anymore though. Will I be able to download it as a result of having the ps5 version?

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just make sure your PS4 spidey saves are in the cloud. I only had ones like, halfway through the game for some reason, so I had to turn on my PS4, upload the save to the cloud, and then download it on my PS5. Then I had to download both the PS4 and PS5 version to do the upload/download in game. Kinda obnoxious but felt good to watch the trophies roll through again for like 3 minutes straight.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
So let me get this clear, if I have a Spider-Man save uploaded to PS Plus, even if I download it to a PS5, it can't import it or recognise in Spider-Man Remastered? I can only save file transfer from a PS4/PS5 running BC and upload it through the in-game menu to import it into Spider-Man Remastered?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Annoying as a DE owner that sold their spiderman disc a couple months ago. If games have to do this - some kind of 'demo' which is just the main menu with upload save feature - would be helpful. So now remastered will cost ÂŁ20 + ÂŁ26 (current price of digital ps4 spiderman).

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if there's a time limit on how long we need to redeem the uploaded save? I just uploaded mine since I still have my Pro but wasn't going to play the Remaster for a while.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So let me get this clear, if I have a Spider-Man save uploaded to PS Plus, even if I download it to a PS5, it can't import it or recognise in Spider-Man Remastered? I can only save file transfer from a PS4/PS5 running BC and upload it through the in-game menu to import it into Spider-Man Remastered?

You have to download it on the PS4 version. Select the ... next to download and it'll say something like Spider-Man PS4 to download that version. Load it up and press R1. Feel free to delete the PS4 version and download the PS5 Remastered version. Load it up and hit R1 again to use the save. Your trophies should pop up automatically/upon load in to the game.

OP
OP
KAMI-SAMA

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Just make sure your PS4 spidey saves are in the cloud. I only had ones like, halfway through the game for some reason, so I had to turn on my PS4, upload the save to the cloud, and then download it on my PS5. Then I had to download both the PS4 and PS5 version to do the upload/download in game. Kinda obnoxious but felt good to watch the trophies roll through again for like 3 minutes straight.

Ok when you say "upload the save to the cloud", you mean through PS plus cloud? Or from within the game?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if there's a time limit on how long we need to redeem the uploaded save? I just uploaded mine since I still have my Pro but wasn't going to play the Remaster for a while.
There shouldn't be any. I tried a PS3 to PS4 game the other day that relied on the same system and the save was uploaded in 2016.
You could still use PS3/Vita cloud cross saves today were you so inclined.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That's annoying, so I can't use my PS4 save then. Looks like I'll have to make a decision on whether to play again or not. I bought it again to do the dlc as I already got the plat.

I own the PS4 version digitally. Not sure you'd trust a rando with your credentials but you can change them before/after. Pretty sure I could download it again, log in as you, download your cloud save, load up the game, upload it and delete your credentials afterwards. Up to you.

Wish this was more streamlined obviously.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I own the PS4 version digitally. Not sure you'd trust a rando with your credentials but you can change them before/after. Pretty sure I could download it again, log in as you, download your cloud save, load up the game, upload it and delete your credentials afterwards. Up to you.

Yeah I'm wondering if I can maybe ask someone to do that for me (or let me log in as them - whichever is more convenient).

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017

Thanks for the offer, but will see if I can figure something out locally first. I'm sure I must know someone with a physical copy I can borrow for a couple of hours.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I own the digital version so I downloaded the ps4 version and uploaded the save. If you have multiple saves it's annoying because you have to go back and forth between the games since you can only upload one save at a time.

Solitude

Nov 11, 2020
I think the remaster gives you an entitlement to the PS4 version. Click the three dots on the remaster on the main UI, should give an option to download the PS4 version.

Edit: worth trying to see if you can download the PS4 game on PS4? Don't see why it would be locked to PS5.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I'm confused. Could I in theory download Spider-Man PS4 on the PS5, and download my savefile that I have stored on PS+, press R1 in the menu and afterward press R1 in the remaster?

I don't want to boot my PS4 up lol

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think the remaster gives you an entitlement to the PS4 version. Click the three dots on the remaster on the main UI, should give an option to download the PS4 version.

Edit: worth trying to see if you can download the PS4 game on PS4? Don't see why it would be locked to PS5.

Don't think it does. When I go to the remastered version and do the ... to select PS4, the 'play' changes to 'view product' which then shows you the store details for the GOTY edition which says it will cost me ÂŁ26.99 to buy..

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a convoluted way to transfer data when it should simply be game save uploads to cloud, game save downloads from cloud.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Ok, and then from there on the PS4 version you pressed R1 to upload?

• You upload the save in-game from the main menu with R1 in Spider-Man PS4.
  • You then download it in-game in the main menu in the PS5 Spider-Man Remastered version with R1.
  • Fun fact: trophies will pop instantly and you'll also get 70 something screenshots in your media gallery with the main menu if you have trophy settings on default
I'm confused. Could I in theory download Spider-Man PS4 on the PS5, and download my savefile that I have stored on PS+, press R1 in the menu and afterward press R1 in the remaster?

yes, that is exactly how it works; I did that last night and it worked fine.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
What a convoluted way to transfer data when it should simply be game save uploads to cloud, game save downloads from cloud.

I already mentioned this in the other thread, but I think the reason is as follows: You dont upload the save to PS+ (or at least, its not a regular savefile); its probably an upload to an insomniac (or sony) server which processes the file so you can download/import it in PS5 Spider-Man Remastered.

given the fact that you have to upload and download the savefiles, I suspect that they actually have to edit its contents to make it work on PS5; which somewhat suggests that how savefiles actually work is partly up to the developers. Maybe Sony supplies a standard framework for them (which will probably be portable and works on PS5) but if you don't; its probably up to the developers to get things working. No Mans Sky had a similar thing going on. For Miles, Insomniac probably used the 'Sony-format' so the PS4 save works on PS5. Thing is; they came up with a solution and delivered it in just a few weeks so even if it was an unplanned feature; it was probably not the most herculean engineering effort.

still, this is some full blown armchair-developer assumptions ;P

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yes.

Anybody knows if uploading to the cloud could have been on by default? I sold my ps4 and have no idea if my save file is uploaded.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already mentioned this in the other thread, but I think the reason is as follows: You dont upload the save to PS+ (or at least, its not a regular savefile); its probably an upload to an insomniac (or sony) server which processes the file so you can download/import it in PS5 Spider-Man Remastered.
As someone coming from primarily PC gaming in the last decade or so, if it's how you described it, then it needs to be standardized. It should probably be Sony that has that data. Also, you shouldn't have to be a Playstation+ subscriber(even though I am currently).

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
As someone coming from primarily PC gaming in the last decade or so, if it's how you described it, then it needs to be standardized. It should probably be Sony that has that data. Also, you shouldn't have to be a Playstation+ subscriber(even though I am currently).

It probably is standardized in some way; since there are also games that seemingly have no issue with cross-generational saves. But Sony probably also allowed for some custom work as well which probably isnt portable (No Man's Sky / Spidey Remastered). I'm curious if for example, The Witcher 3 will need something similar if the next-gen update comes around.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It probably is standardized in some way; since there are also games that seemingly have no issue with cross-generational saves. But Sony probably also allowed for some custom work as well which probably isnt portable (No Man's Sky / Spidey Remastered). I'm curious if for example, The Witcher 3 will need something similar if the next-gen update comes around.
I started fresh with the PS5, but I hope that when the inevitable PS6 comes out, I don't have to go through this nonsense.