• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
No one needs anybody. But it is nice to have good people you like being around. Humans are social, it's built into your brain.

I never understand the I hate my spouse people. It's like my brother/sister in christ you chose them.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, using the state of the current world as a measuring point, men need to stay away from politics and the economy.

Oct 26, 2017
You do realize we are barely 40+ (1968 but really it wasnt until the 70s that actually solidifed it) years out from a time when women werent even allowed to buy houses property or could support themselves. As silly as this talking point is, western civilization, treated women like property for the vast majority of our existence.
Collectively needing the opposite sex is a weird ask. We dont need sexual and intimate partners as much as incels want to believe, what we actually need is community, but car culture and individualism has killed Americas ability to build long lasting communities.
Community is important but I was speaking about personal relationships

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Queen Latifah's character was asked on Living Single what would the world be like without men?

"A bunch of fat, happy women and no crime"

But seriously, as a man, the world would be better off for everyone if we could get rid of toxic masculinity.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
As a guy that sees where we are today and how we got here, I absolutely do not mind a snide remark/snipe towards whether or not I'm "needed".

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The is not a discussion that should be had by the idiots on the View. They are primarily focused on charged rhetoric to increase viewership.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
You're allowed to record a message to your cats that we will show them daily so they remember you.
I appreciate that and will accept it. Please cuddle and talk to them daily cause they're good buddies.
But do they really? Or are they just making you think they do. They're cats, after all
This is probably true but I'm going to suppress it so that I can continue to think they love me as much as I love them.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Also i'm taking bets on how many pages this thread will have. Minimum bet is 5 pages. Locking nullifies all bets. Email me for more details.

Do you accept faxes?

With the sole exception of Timothée, nope.

As it was written.

10178799_eaa89.gif

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I know this (trash) show needs to have this dialogue to be "controversial" for their audience, but I can say with absolute confidence that my wife needs me, and vice versa.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Although it kinda seems glib, I actually think things like this are really counter constructive, and honestly go a long way to reinforce gender stereotypes we should be moving away from. Thats not to say we couldn't do with less of the MRA/Incel types in the world. But I think talk like this really flattens the male gender role down when we should be opening it up, and allow it to move away from outdated gender norms.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I saw someone on YouTube say this show is Andrew Tate for women. So true, misogynistic garbage all the way through. And people continue to react with exasperation at the idea of there is a crisis among young men, and others are even saying they "deserve" it somehow. Absolutely disgusting.

How many young men in this archetype now? It's starting to feel like the norm.

Raised in a divorced family lacking a father figure
No higher education
Can't find a partner
Cant buy a home
Can't raise children

And now, not only can they not find a partner, the opposite sex literally thinks they aren't needed? Let's just keep tearing at the foundations of our society, this will definitely end well.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Although it kinda seems glib, I actually think things like this are really counter constructive, and honestly go a long way to reinforce gender stereotypes we should be moving away from. Thats not to say we couldn't do with less of the MRA/Incel types in the world. But I think talk like this really flattens the male gender role down when we should be opening it up, and allow it to move away from outdated gender norms.

Worded it better than I ever could.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And now, not only can they not find a partner, the opposite sex literally thinks they aren't needed? Let's just keep tearing at the foundations of our society, this will definitely end well.
Of course the show is garbage, but we should "tear" the old gender roles yeah. Men shouldn't be needed to provide, women shouldn't be needed to clean and cook, they should be desired as a partner.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
As a guy that sees where we are today and how we got here, I absolutely do not mind a snide remark/snipe towards whether or not I'm "needed".
Here's the thing though, telling men they are not "needed" is only exasperating patriarchy and toxic masculinity, who the majority of men are victims of too.

Take a listen to that video, where a man who opens up about their feelings is labelled as gay. Do we really need to wonder why the majority of men don't feel comfortable to open up about their feelings? And the fact that gay people are only useful for gossip too, you know, instead of being intrinsically valuable as a person.

And this comes from a very outdated perspective too. Back in earlier society, just as women were seen as merely homemakers, men were just seen for the monetary value they provide.

Now that gender norm is largely put away, where both men and women are working. People saying that men are useless or not needed now that women have jobs are missing the forest for the trees.

Tying monetary value of a person to their entire self worth, and an entire gender is a cornerstone of patriarchy that is used to control large swaths of people. This is just as harmful as tying a women's self worth to their ability to make babies. It's even worse as capitalism is doing it's rounds and is trying to extort everyone.

We need to expand gender, and masculinity, and everything that it means. A person's worth should not be exclusively tied to one thing, nor should that thing be locked to a single gender.

Everyone needs everyone in this world. Everyone has a place where they can be useful, perpetuate a great life, and sow the seeds for a better tomorrow. These women are literally cultivating toxic masculinity, that is making their lives harder, and making those better lives even more difficult to achieve.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hourly era self-flagellation thread.

But I'll bite: people need people in general but I don't know that anyone needs a particular gender, ethnicity or creed. At least with M O D E R N || T E C H N O L O G Y.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
cool, more ammo for the 15/16 boys to watch and then turn to the Andrew Tates of the world looking for answers.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
to be serious for a second, the men are worthless commentary just perpetuates toxic masculinity, its a cycle. Women need men to be better is the real answer.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The outrage machine doing its job once again.

I'd argue we don't need daytime TV myself.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate social media gender war stuff. And I don't mean like the "fuck the patriarchy", "fuck misogyny" and "fuck men taking away women's rights" stuff, that's all good stuff, but like the stupid little debates about innocuous things that reinforce stereotypes about men and women being from different planets in every single aspect of life. It's tiring and does nothing but cause further bitterness and divide.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing though, telling men they are not "needed" is only exasperating patriarchy and toxic masculinity, who the majority of men are victims of too.

Take a listen to that video, where a man who opens up about their feelings is labelled as gay. Do we really need to wonder why the majority of men don't feel comfortable to open up about their feelings? And the fact that gay people are only useful for gossip too, you know, instead of being intrinsically valuable as a person.

And this comes from a very outdated perspective too. Back in earlier society, just as women were seen as merely homemakers, men were just seen for the monetary value they provide.

Now that gender norm is largely put away, where both men and women are working. People saying that men are useless or not needed now that women have jobs are missing the forest for the trees.

Tying monetary value of a person to their entire self worth, and an entire gender is a cornerstone of patriarchy that is used to control large swaths of people. This is just as harmful as tying a women's self worth to their ability to make babies. It's even worse as capitalism is doing it's rounds and is trying to extort everyone.

We need to expand gender, and masculinity, and everything that it means. A person's worth should not be exclusively tied to one thing, nor should that thing be locked to a single gender.

Everyone needs everyone in this world. Everyone has a place where they can be useful, perpetuate a great life, and sow the seeds for a better tomorrow. These women are literally cultivating toxic masculinity, that is making their lives harder, and making those better lives even more difficult to achieve.

I didn't watch the video (can't right now), I was only commenting on the question in general.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
to be serious for a second, the men are worthless commentary just perpetuates toxic masculinity, its a cycle

While the topic on its face is rather counter productive, I agree; I also don't think that that sentiment behind it should be completely overlooked. Afterall, as has been pointed out, it wasn't that long ago that women did legally need men for certain things; and the society that was born from that still echoes today. The need to assert that women don't need men comes from a valid place that you couldn't exactly replicate by switching genders.

So while I'm not going to give credit to The View for a conversation they clearly aren't trying to have, I do see it as a window to a larger conversation.

Feb 10, 2024
Questions like this piss me off because it is so reductive and useless. Humans need balance and harmony in their lives, someone to help smooth out the rough parts of life. Trash topic with no real introspective qualities outside of a spicy headline. Daytime network tv is the definition of pablum.
Yup. Reverse the sexes in this discussion and this topic wouldn't be given any oxygen. The double standard is pathetic.

Perhaps generalizing half the human population isn't a useful metric, I wonder.....

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
This doesn't seem like content that is good for young men who are already struggling to find a place in this ever changing world. We need to lift up all people regardless of gender/sex
Pretty much. All of the performative self-flagellation ("I'm a man and I'm useless!") is laughable too. I'm a man in a committed relationship, and — based on how we've grown — my partner and I need each other to thrive. We've obviously survived independently and could do so again if something happened.

Differentiating between needs, wants, surviving, and thriving isn't particularly helpful unless the definitions are agreed upon — but there are differences.

All that being said, Royalan (as usual when it comes to this kind of content) is exactly correct. Examining the historical context is important.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I guess nobody "needs" anyone when it comes down to it. Having people around is nice though so I think I'll keep doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.