• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
"I don't know, my husband talks about his feelings with his friends."
"Maybe he's gay."
"Why are straight men not emotionally open"

Because almost all of us have a scar from when we trusted we could be and it killed our relationship, or was used against us, or provoked disgust or suspicion. And I don't mean from other men.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's not really about need and it's more about want. The average person wants a significant other in their life. It's just the way humans are.

Do we really need someone in our lives in order to get through them? No. But it makes the journey a hell of a lot more enjoyable and easier.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's not really about need and it's more about want. The average person wants a significant other in their life. It's just the way humans are.

Do we really need someone in our lives in order to get through them? No. But it makes the journey a hell of a lot more enjoyable and easier.
I hope your wife turns out to be a Pats fan.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's interesting to me that whenever I see this conversation pop up, it inevitably ends up at breeding, the absolute basement on the subject of "need" and not what anybody is really talking about.

/sips beer in Queer

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
I saw someone on YouTube say this show is Andrew Tate for women. So true, misogynistic garbage all the way through. And people continue to react with exasperation at the idea of there is a crisis among young men, and others are even saying they "deserve" it somehow. Absolutely disgusting.

How many young men in this archetype now? It's starting to feel like the norm.

Raised in a divorced family lacking a father figure
No higher education
Can't find a partner
Cant buy a home
Can't raise children

And now, not only can they not find a partner, the opposite sex literally thinks they aren't needed? Let's just keep tearing at the foundations of our society, this will definitely end well.

Is the View really the same as Andrew Tate? I watch it sometimes and it's mostly about political news.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
The View, as inane as it can be, is absolutely not the Andrew Tate of daytime TV.

Did I just read that?

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Well I'm glad I'm here to gossip and accessorize and shit

But anyway, like someone said, other than for reproduction, no one really NEEDS anyone.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
yeah this is a shitty take, but I don't think any of these ladies are in prison for creating a ring to literally sex traffic men, or sell courses on how to emotionally abuse men to get them to sleep with them, or probably even have the half reach of Tate with the younger generation tbh

comparing them is kind of wild

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IMO threads about dynamics between men and women can be really hard to have on ERA because they tend to be fraught with untruths like those. judging women according to their usefulness to men is very much a thing in real life, and no political leaning will stop it. I've heard some horrid shit from left leaning men that wouldn't sound out of place coming from the most rabid conservative man out there.

It's interesting to me that whenever I see this conversation pop up, it inevitably ends up at breeding, the absolute basement on the subject of "need" and not what anybody is really talking about.

/sips beer in Queer

listen, from my gay woman perspective, DONT GET ME STARTED ON THIS. have you noticed how much of straight men's radicalization is wrapped up in breeding? ai generated pictures of a tough man and his coquettish but modest wife and a whole flock of children?

and like, in that Korean women's movement about the men being so horrible that they should stop breeding with the men there? it ALWAYS goes back to that, and it feels like that's all there is to it at the end! its why men and women cant be friends - because one of them will want to breed with the other. you cant have kids without me, you need to be forced to have kids, its a punishment, its a status marker. we need each other because how else can we breed?

there's got to be more to life lol

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
But anyway, like someone said, other than for reproduction, no one really NEEDS anyone
Absolutely not. No one needs a specific person, or a specific person from a subset of people. But some kind of companionship is mandatory for one's psychological wellbeing and not everyone can fulfill that need with animals alone.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Less talk of gender dynamics and more talk of relationship dynamics is needed I think

Less "Women and men need" and more "I need"

More "This kind of support is helpful to me" less "why are X like this, omg"

I wish folks took less refuge in lashing out wildly, whether on a daytime talk show for "oooh look at us!!" or otherwise

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
I've had enough second hand exposure to The View to know that it isn't worth getting upset over anything they say. My girlfriend half hate watches it but refuses to stop recording it.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
As a man with a wife, I can confirm she needs me to move stuff around, fix stuff, pick up pet poop, and take out the trash.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My spouse says she lets me live because, because A) I kill spiders, B) I open jars c) I go to the gas station/grocery store for her, d) am the taxi driver for the kids e) I clean up the murder scene (when something eats one of our chickens

Also. SHe has a really strong sense of smell. So any kind of vomit, poops etc from our fur kids or real kids I handle that business.

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory meta commentary
This forum man… it's like… yikes. No wonder kids are looking for more toxic male figures.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean.... despite it being a shit opinion it's still no where near anywhere close to the shit popular *advice dudebros* say about women

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Yea women don't need men*, but people coming in and say "yeah I'm/men are useless" or "they need us to BREED" is weird af. Plus a lot of this excluded people who aren't straight.

*For romantic relationships, we're a social species and don't handle isolation well. And I don't think it's healthy to exclude a whole dented from being friends.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
This is straight out of 2003 all with the gay sterotypes and shit, but tbf daytime TV never really grew out of that period.

MR2

Apr 14, 2022
Women: Help us destroy the patriarchy so we can have true equality!

Men: ok

Men: After killing billions of our own in the process, we finally did it. But I must say this war has taken a toll on my mental health, can we discuss it.

Women: Nah, sounds gay.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Women: Help us destroy the patriarchy so we can have true equality!

Men: ok

Men: After killing billions of our own in the process, we finally did it. But I must say this war has taken a toll on my mental health, can we discuss it.

Women: Nah, sounds gay.

I'm hoping this is sarcastic.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Thanos snap men out of existence and we have a problem.

Thanos snap women out of existence and we have a problem.

Yes, we need each other.

/sips beer in Queer

Everyone does shit. Everyone does shit that everyone else enjoys having done. Even just on a vocational level. We all get and produce goods and services and there'd be a major disruption if men up and vanished just like there'd be a major disruption if women just vanished.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
It's always interesting to search up The View whenever some men vs women topic goes viral on the internet or media. Always dumb takes from them, the Simpsons clip is completely accurate.

Overall, no one needs anyone, but there is nothing wrong with two people in a loving relationship supporting and relying on each other. The men vs women content out there nowadays does nothing but sow division between everyone, and it needs to stop.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
Yeah this ain't it chief.

While I largely have a problem with behaviour of a lot of men, it's more of a symptom of like patriarchy shit and that shit hurts men too so I don't feel being reductive about men in discussions like this is generally helpful. However I do often have days where I am in a "fuck men" mood but that is once again frustrations with the patriarchy and specific actions of specific men, similar as to how I might have a "fuck cis people" or "fuck straights" kind of a day.
Considering to how the alt right panders to disaffected young men who are looking for direction and a big part of that can be seen as more prevailiant "fuck men" attitudes on the left, we honestly should move past this kind of discussion about men as a group.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
"Why are straight men not emotionally open"

Because almost all of us have a scar from when we trusted we could be and it killed our relationship, or was used against us, or provoked disgust or suspicion. And I don't mean from other men.
The problem here is that patriarchy has dug itself so deep that lots of folks believe that men basically need to be tough dudes without feelings, who don't cry, who never shed a tear. So when dudes inevitably break down at some point in their life and try to reach out to someone, only to then have it shoved back in their face, it's not the fault of the person who has internalized the patriarchy but rather patriarchy itself. It is patriarchy that decided men shouldn't have feelings, that we should idolize war heroes, John Wayne, stoics, deaden our emotions, and basically be sacrificial fathers who are there simply to provide and protect.

The world has changed, however, and now we've run into a situation where the qualities that were valuable in the past (which again were always self imposed by men) are no longer necessary or in fashion. So the patriarchy is like a snake eating its own tail in that those who are victims to it begin to think it's the only way and that's how it just is -- so it's no wonder that women who are victims to the patriarchy, internalize it to the point where if they are to survive in it then the men need to hold up their side of the bargain too and be the robots they said they wanted to be and should be.

The patriarchy hurts everyone, not just women. It's why movies like Barbie are important cause it went to show how the Kens were wanting simply to gain each other's respect by winning Barbie's attention. They could simply forego Barbie as an object and device for their own fulfillment by just talking about different ways to fulfill their competition or accomplishments. But you know... patriarchy... using women as trophies to self-define their success.

It then is tough when you are a man who can talk about emotions but women aren't used to it, so they may listen but just have no solutions for them because they haven't lived that experience. And those dudes have trouble finding other men who are open to talk and relate. So again, not the problem of the women. So it's no wonder that the men just stop looking to talk or for help in feeling their emotions. But that's why we need more open discussions and allow men to be full human beings and not just rigid binary creatures.

Little rambly there but hope the point came across.

Last edited:

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
It is my belief that men as a group will not find redemption through women. And so the work men need to do needs to be among and centering men, and not focused on how receptive women are to it (or not). Women are not the solution, nor are they the blame.

tajd

Mar 15, 2024
god not all gay men are gossip and into fashion I'm gay and I'm just a gamer etc stereotyping much

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Decently paid women don't need men. This is correct. It would be nice if men and women could afford to live with whoever they wanted to without being trapped in an economic prison and could afford to retire comfortably.

Lol at the woman with the right-wing hair who mentioned "political party"; I knew it would be Republican. Then she gave Mike Pence as an example of a man who was brave enough to speak out? What memory is she working from?

Lol at the women who stereotyped gay men, like they had based everything from watching romcoms from decades ago.

Lol at the woman who was bitter with her own choice of a partner and just aired it all on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.