Do you agree with what Oculus is making users use Facebook to continue using their services?

• YES

Votes: 105 8.4%
  • NO

Votes: 1,139 91.6%

• Total voters

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
I voted "Sure" or yes I suppose. Making a Facebook login required makes it much more likely that people who don't want to support Facebook do not inadvertently support them by buying the Oculus. People that want to rail on FB for data handling but then turn around and buy a product from them are silly.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I own a Quest that I've kept disconnected from FB. This pretty much ensures that whatever my next VR purchase is, it won't be an Oculus product.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well considering when you many bought it there was no Facebook requirement there should not be indefinitely. They are two different products. Moreover, oculus is a physical product and not a "license" like many videogames requiring additional third party software. This is like if Apple suddenly decides you needed a Facebook account to use your cellphone.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Well considering when you many bought it there was no Facebook requirement there should not be indefinitely. They are two different products. Moreover, oculus is a physical product and not a "license" like many videogames requiring additional third party software. This is like if Apple suddenly decides you needed a Facebook account to use your cellphone.
Yeah, it would be nice if they didn't force current gen hardware with it and instead required it only on their next gen headsets. That way they're not forcing it us and we could just choose to not buy their next headset.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017

Creating a FB account with none of your personal info attached to it should be possible...unless I'm unaware of something? This makes me think that not wanting to have an FB account is a matter of principle and not wanting to support the company.

With that assumption, buying an Oculus was supporting Facebook anyway, regardless of login requirements. For reference, Facebook bought Oculus in 2014.

If you bought an Oculus before 2014 and are still using it then I can see the argument and you were rightfully hosed. Otherwise I don't know if I can agree with this "have my cake and eat it too" argument for supporting FB.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I agree only in the sense that if you were using a Oculus device before this, then Facebook already had your information. Even if you didn't have Facebook, they still have a shadow account for you behind the scenes. So it makes no sense to put up a stink about it now. As soon at Facebook bought Oculus, this was inevitable. At least this way, it's one less login for you to worry about.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
They have to make money somehow. There is no money in VR hardware or software sales...but connect it to FB ads and they have some avenue for profit.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Apple requires an Apple ID to do anything of value with an iPhone. They could easily turn around and say the phone is a brick without an Apple ID. Just because they haven't doesnt mean they can't.

I think you have a point if the person bought Oculus hardware before the buyout. If you bought it after Facebook purchased Oculus, or didnt know Facebook owned Oculus...buyer beware.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
You can create a new fb account just for this and never add pics, friends, etc.
How's this different from an Oculus account?

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think we have to agree 'with' it. It's their product and if they see it fitting that it's connected via their social media service, then it's up to you whether you want use it in that manner.

There are alternatives out there.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
They already have your information from your Oculus account. It doesn't make sense for them to keep multiple account systems. Make a fake facebook account for games and move on.

Exactly. Facebook is already extracting the same information from your Oculus account. People have a weird way about thinking about this, like if you only use the Oculus account, that will somehow block Facebook from your information.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I have no problem with that.

Every hardware manufacturer requires an account on their online system for full use of their products.

I cannot play Mario Kart 8, Sea of Thieves or Fifa online, without an account on Nintendo Network, Microsoft or EA, respectively.

Why would only Facebook need to exempt its users from this?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Who do you think owns Oculus?

Anyway you think Facebook doesn't know who you are?

This is the kind of information Facebook gets off your web browser:

Am I Unique ?

Check if your browser has a unique fingerprint, how identifiable you are on the Internet

They know who you are, and who you interact with.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Your oculus account was a Facebook account in terms of information gathering nothing changed there.

It makes sense for the company to do it of course but given how uncool Facebook is these days with certain people I think I wouldn't have forced it since they can collect data regardless and instead would merge them quietly.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Your oculus account was a Facebook account in terms of information gathering nothing changed there.
No, it's a big change there. Your Oculus account wasn't associated with your real name or your Facebook account. So now they will be able to combine the data collected between Facebook and Oculus, and know exactly who you are, give you Facebook ads based on VR apps that you use, and even how you move in VR, and sell that data. This was exactly what they promised not to do when they purchased Oculus.

Who do you think owns Oculus?

Anyway you think Facebook doesn't know who you are?

This is the kind of information Facebook gets off your web browser:

Am I Unique ?

Check if your browser has a unique fingerprint, how identifiable you are on the Internet

They know who you are, and who you interact with.
I don't access Facebook or use the web browser from my Oculus Quest.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It is what it is, but personally I don't need facebook to have even more of a hand in my life. You already have my family, my social circles, etc etc., more bits while individually "oh thats not so bad" slowly add up.

This is even aside from their bullshit stances on current events and the way their platform is used to spread and grow hatred and lies.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Why is there not an "indifference" option up there? Just "other" and explanation.

Does it suck? Yes.
Do I agree with it? Why should I or should I not? It's their company and device. People don't complain about needing a Google or iOS account to use their devices or services. If one of them bought HTC and required a Vive to have an AppleID or Google login it would be the same thing, and at least one of those camps would not care, maybe even welcome it.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
No, it's a big change there. Your Oculus account wasn't associated with your real name or your Facebook account. So now they will be able to combine the data collected between Facebook and Oculus, and know exactly who you are, give you Facebook ads based on VR apps that you use, and even how you move in VR, and sell that data. This was exactly what they promised not to do when they purchased Oculus.

I don't access Facebook or use the web browser from my Oculus Quest.

Unless you never connected to the internet Facebook can link those accounts.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

So you don't care about Facebook collecting data out of your Facebook account, but you do when they collect data out of your VR headset? If you don't use Facebook at all, then just create an account to log into your Oculus and nothing more. The misconception here is how some people seem to think that Facebook is not collecting the same data out of your Oculus account.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'm going to say its fine, with Occulus being owned by Facebook. Plenty of devices and games want you to use accounts from their individual parent companies. As someone said, if you don't like the company or its ethics, I'd ask you to question why you'd contibute to them by buying their product in the first place.