• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you? Tell why in your comment.

• Yes

Votes: 187 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 304 42.4%
  • Depends

Votes: 226 31.5%

• Total voters

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Only one I've ever had was PS+ which didn't let you. I remember I wanted to buy Resogun and couldn't.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I've used Gamepass as a trial service before and picked up some of the games I liked on Steam later.

Even if I beat a game, if I really liked it then I want to maintain my access past the point the subscription expires. I don't stay subbed to anything for long, I don't want to be trapped in recurring payments to access something I love. This is also why I largely refuse to play anything that is only accessible via a sub, or tied to a server and can't be played offline. I don't want to get attached to anything that can be so easily taken away from me.

Last edited:

Ostrav

Feb 14, 2023
I said no. If I'm played and done with it then I'm not paying for it to not play it. The subscription cost is surely supposed to compensate the developers.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think I've only done this with Signalis. After playing it on gamepass, I bought it for PS4 both digitally and physically.

Those devs deserves all the success. I'd give them more money if given another excuse.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I voted no. But then I remembered this:

• I lent Persona 5 on ps4 from the local library and finished it
  • Persona 5 royal came to gamepass, I finished it
  • I felt bad about paying almost nothing for one of my favorite games
  • I bought the ps5 version for cheap
  • It is still unopened

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Never. More often that the games I already bought and liked are now available on the subscription services.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Yeah I bought a few that I wanted to keep in my library and since I don't plan to sub GP all the time (currently changed the plan to Core).
Like Halo MCC, Hi Fi rush, Gungrave and some others..

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, I don't really gel with the temporary access nature of gamepass and I want ownership on my games. At first I was enjoying playing on there but once it's availability ended, I realized I don't like that model at all.

It's mostly used to try out stuff I feel is too expensive at the time and I am not sure I want or for microsoft games I have no plan on buying. Otherwise, I am buying games on steam or psn.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Yup, a few times. The ones that comes to mind are the Life is Strange series (except 2, but I would buy it if I find it cheap enough), Road 96, Vampire Survivors, Warhammer 40K Battlesector and Hellblade. There are probably more though.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Bought Cross code and Battle chef Brigade after playing them on GP, because I wanted them on Switch.
But I only played It Takes Two during a month of EA Play and that was it because we finished the game, so it was a good deal.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yes, I end up buying the games I really liked.
So far I bought:

- Signalis
- Pathological 2
- Hi-Fi Rush
- Outer Wilds
- Prodeus
- Thimbleweed Park
- Tinykin
- The Procession to Calvary
- The Bookwalker
- Moonscars
- Unsighted

Botany Manor is next.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Depends. If I complete them and can see myself playing them again (Like A Dragon games), or I play them enough to like them, but won't be able to complete them whilst they're on the service (Assassins Creed or Persona games), then yes.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I've used GamePass before as a trial service before buying games on PS5 as I like to get trophies for my games, enough to be willing to pay for the game when I could play it for free elsewhere :p

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I don't usually, as I complete the ones I really like, but The Quarry was such a great party game and it was on a large sale, I had to.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much only if I wasn't done with the game yet.
I don't have enough time to replay games.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Rarely, more if the game is no longer available on the service or when the normal version has more features, gets updates weeks/months ahead. For example Medieval Dynasty was on Game Pass, but the Multiplayer update was coming months after the steam version, so friends and I bought the steam version on sale, because we didn't want to wait for the Game Pass update many months later.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Yep, I normally start something on Gamepass, get 25-50% into it, forget about it and then end up buying it on Switch/Steam when I fancy finishing it!

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
If I really like it, I buy a physical copy and leave it sealed. If there's no physical available, I only bother if it's on deep discount.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game. If I genuinely think I will get to it later or finish it then I will buy it. However, realistically we are talking about maybe a couple of dozen or so games since these services launched.

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes, if I really like it and:

• It's leaving the service and I think I might want to play it again
  • It's leaving the service and I haven't finished playing it yet
  • I want to support the developers
  • It's on sale so I can own it at a low cost
  • If it's the complete version and I want to play the DLC
  • A mix of all the above

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not single player games that I finish and never go back to. There's no reason to buy them. I have bought games after I tried them with a subscription like Avatar and AC Mirage though.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I finished Wo Long on Series S because it was on Gamepass day 1, but I still keep it on my PSN wishlist because a) I'd like to get the Platinum trophy and b) the game looks like ass on Series S. It's unbeliebably bad. I'll buy it as soon as I can get it for under $25.

I also bought Alien: Isolation after it left Gamepass even though I own it on PSN because it's 60fps on Series consoles.

Last edited:

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
no I dont sub because I already have most of the offerings, However If i did sub and play some games I would probably play through them and go about my business after they are done.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Rarely, but it happens. I bought Fall Guys on deep discount (like 3 years later) after 'beating' it on Gamepass because I didn't really exhaust all the games content.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No. A subscription service isn't free, I'm already paying to have access to that game. If it's a fair price or not for the developers/publishers, tha's up to them. But if I like a game from a studio that I've played on a sub I might be able to buy their next game at launch.
And I usually buy every game I'm really interested in before they come to the subscription services.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
If I really liked it, and there's a physical edition, I may go for that.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Only if I want to play it again and it isn't in a sub catalogue anymore. I mean, that's why I paid for the sub. It's part of the value of that.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No. I don't buy games anymore, period. I've bought retro games en masse in the past. Even newer games. Several copies, one for myself and one to flip. I've sold my whole collection. I have nothing left. I'm 100% subscription based now.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
The number of people who are mentioning trying a game on Game Pass and then buying the game on PS5 or Steam is... interesting. I thought I was an outlier doing that.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i use gamepass because i don't have a lot of money to spend on games, so i don't do this no because that's generally purchases i cant justify

Cathode Ray

Mar 30, 2024
NYC
Only if I really enjoyed them and want to more directly support the devs. Bought Tinykin after beating it on Game Pass for instance, one of the best games I've ever played.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No that defeats the purpose of the subscription service of saving money, now not only are you not saving money but your spending even more

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Generally no. Once I play through I'm good.

Yakuza was the exception. I tried it on Game Pass PC and loved it so much I bought a PS4 (and then a PS5, and later a PS3 too) for it, and proceeded to buy the entire series physically

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I tend to take waaaay too long to start and then waaaay too long again to actually complete games, so I'm usually the guy trying to finish the game the last week it's ok the service, failing, and then buying it to play the last 10%.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Hmm depends. I played darkest dungeon on GP and loved it so much I got it on steam so I can play it on my laptop. And again on switch… but that's an outlier I think lol.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I've never done it, no. Most games are one-and-done affairs for me, so I'll just finish the subscription version and avoid spending more money than necessary.