Do you enjoy using the Joycon Grip?

• I like it

Votes: 101 21.5%
  • I'd rather use a regular controller

Votes: 369 78.5%

• Total voters

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Used it a few times then my joy cons started drifting. Got a pro controller and never looked back lol.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
It's perfect for my wife's hands. But it's too small for me. I use the Pro controller over the grip pretty much every time. Sometimes I play with detached joycons for Mario games though.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it either. My pro controller has drift issues that fluctuate in intensity, so when it's particularly bad I have to switch to the joycon grip. Hoping I can get a new pro on sale this holiday.

MarkRJR

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy using the joy con grip, but I know that if I use them it'll just lead to the joy con analog sticks start drifting sooner. As a result, I end up never using the grip and instead sticking with a pro controller.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I think the fact that Nintendo doesn't include them with new Joy-Cons tells you just how much of an afterthought they were. I always play with the Joy-Cons detached otherwise it feels too small.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
Everything about the joy cons are bad. Always use my Switch Pro controller at every opportunity, docked or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I played a lot of Breath of the Wild with it and thought it was...fine? Or at least, I didn't have any major complaints despite it very much being inferior to a regular controller. Haven't used it since I got a pro controller.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
It always bugged me that if you wanted to charge the joycons while using the grip you needed to buy a completely different grip separately. Kind of shitty of Nintendo to not have that in the box. It basically means you have to switch to handheld mode if your joycons run out of battery. As an adult with a lot of expendable cash it's not a big deal but I remember being a poor kid and it was either a new game or a peripheral.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been picky with controllers. Joycon in the grip is perfectly fine to me. (But I mostly play handheld anyway.)

Oct 28, 2017
It always bugged me that if you wanted to charge the joycons while using the grip you needed to buy a completely different grip separately. Kind of shitty of Nintendo to not have that in the box. It basically means you have to switch to handheld mode if your joycons run out of battery. As an adult with a lot of expendable cash it's not a big deal but I remember being a poor kid and it was either a new game or a peripheral.
Yeah, that is ridiculous. It's such an obvious cash grab.

Jul 1, 2020
I used it to play breath of the wild but doesn't solve the issues I have with joycon as input devices. A pro controller is a much wiser investment as it doesn't drift, has a real d-pad and has regular sized buttons.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
It's awful. The only reason you don't see me in "faulty Joycons" threads is because I'd rather do a backflip off a trailing speedboat and hit my face on the water than use Joycons (or the Joycon Grip) for playing anything to begin with.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I remember trying it one time and didn't really like the feel. Threw it in a drawer and it's still there pretty sure.

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks along with the Joycon. I barely play my switch due to that.

I am going to have to look into getting that Hori split pad controller.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fine and will happily use it.

I use a Pro controller 99% of the time though.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried when I got a Switch because I had only heard bad things about the grip, but turns out it was just the internet being overly negative again.

The grip is absolutely fine, and I have played 95% of my play time on the switch with it. I really don't like using dual loose joycons, never liked it in the Wii, and here its even worse because the joycons are too small and I have trouble pushing the trigger buttons. The grip doesn't give me any trouble at all. Of course it's not comparable to a regular bulky controller, but that's not the intention, it's just an option for those who don't want to buy a Pro Controller.

I'm going to buy a Pro eventually but only because I want a D-pad for 2D platformers, otherwise I would rock my grip forever.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I mostly use split controllers As my partner uses our pro controller. except for splatoon or other shooters I use the grip because it's easier to use gyro aiming with the grip. Even moreso than the pro.

my kids use the grip mostly

I literally didn't play or buy anything for my Switch for 2 years until I was recently able to get a Pro controller because of how much I hate the grip; I've never even removed it from it's styrofoam baggie.
Why did it take you so long to get a pro controller?

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I need the otpion for "I use split joycons instead". I don't like the grip, but I do like the split joycons.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wanted an "it's fine, don't hate it, prefer the pro controller" option.

Really cool to have in the box and does a decent job of simulating the normal controller experience. Switch flexibility is really awesome and I appreciate being able to hand my kids that grip to have a controller-ish.
This is my take too.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I find it perfectly functional unless I'm playing Splatoon competitively, but it's less comfortable than a pro controller.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Was nice to have a new feel for a controller for BOTW and Odyssey for a bit but in both cases I just ended up using the pro instead

I do find it very useful in general though, especially for when we need an extra controller

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I prefer to use the Pro Controller but when I meet friends and have to use the grip it is perfectly fine. It is a good multi-purpose solution.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
That's what I use when playing on the telly. It's perfectly alright. Only thing I don't like is that I'm still using the crappy joy-con wireless that loses signal now and then.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Using this and the Switch in handheld mode gives me hand cramps so that's a hard no. I think my hands are just too big.

Weirdly enough, using the joycons seperated with the straps are actually quite comfortable. Been playing Mario Galaxy like that and it's great.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I got used to it, I wish it was rubberized on the handles but it's not I don't find it as horrible as I did with Wii U Pro controller

Last edited:

sox

Oct 27, 2017
I was just using it to play some Rocket League. Works well enough once you get used to the dinky buttons on the joy cons.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's awful lol. I just use the joycons by themselves without the stupid wrist strap attachments.
I like the Switch, but the joycons are probably one of the worst designed gaming hardware things in recent memory. They sacrificed a proper d-pad on a handheld so that you can take them off and give them to family members and friends you don't like as much when you play local multiplayer with them.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The poll sucks, because I like it.

But I'd rather a regular controller.

Some games feel great with the joycons in the holder, it's great that it can form into extra full controllers or split into half controllers.

Would I rather a pro controller came with the switch and no joy-cons? No. Would I rather use a pro controller? yeah.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I've never used that thing. I prefer joycons by themselves since it's like a Wii remote + nunchuk setup and that control scheme was top notch

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a pro controller at launch, so I've only tried the grip and never had to actually use it. It feels extremely strange in my hands and it's difficult to press the shoulder buttons for some reason. I prefer even separate Joy-Cons.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
I use mine. I've got small hands, so the joy cons in general are some of my favorite controllers. I'm cool with or without the grip depending on my mood. Got a pro controller too, but I love how tactile the sticks and buttons feel on the joy cons more and being able to play split. Pro controller is much more ergonomical though.