How you expect next Nintendo console to be?

• Incremental upgrade from Switch

Votes: 177 95.7%
  • Something completely different

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
yrMZSGt6ME5QA4QaGRfwvW.jpg

Nintendo released the Switch in 2017 which means it's only a matter of time until they replace it with a new console.

In the past Nintendo have done incremental upgrades between consoles like the DS to 3DS. They also have done big departures like from the GameCube to Wii. So Era, do you think the Switch successor will be more of a big departure or an incremental upgrade?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
They are absolute fools if they make anything other than Switch 2.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It'll be the equivalent of the 3DS. Same basic form-factor, better horsepower, maybe some sort of added gimmick of debatable value.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
It will be a slightly more powerful Switch that is slightly thicker, has a slightly bigger screen, probably an even longer battery life and I'm expecting the same Joy-Cons if not a new model of Joy-Cons that are slightly different as well. I think anyone who is thinking that the Switch 2/Pro is going to massive upgrade or massively different from the Switch is setting themselves up for disappointment. The Switch works. People love the Switch. People understand the Switch. We just want something a little more powerful to make the games look and run better. They don't need to pivot from what they have, they just need to make small changes that collectively come together making the console better and giving us an overall better experience than what we have now. It's not a hard bar or threshold that they need to meet.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Zero chance they will abandon Switch model. I think all future Nintendo systems will be hybrids.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm pretty sure Nintendo said in a shareholder meeting their next system will be another hybrid console.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
They got it so right with the Switch, I expect Switch 2 to be mostly the same, with maybe one new big gimmick because it's Nintendo.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
I dont think it will be anything near the steam deck specs, my expectations is just a small hardware upgrade to keep the price down.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
It will be largely a Switch 2. But it will have some sort of USP that they can market it on.

There's absolutely no way Nintendo will release a console that's just "like the one you have but more powerful". It just isn't how they operate these days.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
www.resetera.com

How certain are we the next Nintendo console will be a "Switch 2"?

There's more and more discussion about the Switch successor, but whenever it does happen, how certain are we it will basically be a Switch 2? My hope is basically a more powerful Switch. They nailed the concept, it just needs more power for fluidity and IQ, possibly using AI upscaling. And of...

I think we basically had this exact same thread yesterday.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
www.resetera.com

There's more and more discussion about the Switch successor, but whenever it does happen, how certain are we it will basically be a Switch 2? My hope is basically a more powerful Switch. They nailed the concept, it just needs more power for fluidity and IQ, possibly using AI upscaling. And of...

Appending to this post, we have other discussions as well:

www.resetera.com

Jeff Grubb: Whatever's next for Nintendo may not be a 'Switch Pro' or 'Switch 2', it may be something in-between to continue the Switch generation Rumor - Nintendo

Jeff Grubb went on Kinda Funny Games Daily to celebrate the Switch's anniversary here's some new updates/rumors/tidbits: Jeff Grubb on what's still on the table for Nintendo this year (hardware reveal): https://clips.twitch.tv/HumbleTolerantAsteriskFloof-gPgUoN9pBTNErSpA Jeff Grubb on the...

www.resetera.com

Nintendo Switch 2 hardware design - What can Nintendo do to make it look different enough from the Switch?

One of the many issues with the Wii U was its hardware design; it looked like a bigger Wii. Even when it was officially shown off at E3 2011 and the tablet was the focus with the console in the background, it looked like a Wii, and I think another reason why the Wii U failed; Nintendo even said...

And a bit of speculation here?

www.resetera.com

Nintendo Switch 2? Nvidia Hiring for Next-Gen Developers Console Tool Rumor - Nintendo

Copied from source: https://tech4gamers.com/nintendo-switch-2-nvidia/ According to information obtained from an Nvidia leak that took place some time ago, a new Nintendo Switch might be in the works, including Nvidia's framerate-boosting DLSS technology and purely based on Nvidia's SoC...

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with calling DS to 3DS an incremental upgrade. It added stereoscopic 3D, gyro, the circle pad, significantly better hardware, a more robust online store and tons of social features. I'll be shocked if the next Nintendo system is anywhere close to as substantial of an upgrade.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I would literally take the power of two Switches duct taped together accompanied with joycons that weren't complete pieces of shit and be happy.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
www.resetera.com

Appending to this post, we have other discussions as well:

www.resetera.com

Jeff Grubb: Whatever's next for Nintendo may not be a 'Switch Pro' or 'Switch 2', it may be something in-between to continue the Switch generation Rumor - Nintendo

Jeff Grubb went on Kinda Funny Games Daily to celebrate the Switch's anniversary here's some new updates/rumors/tidbits: Jeff Grubb on what's still on the table for Nintendo this year (hardware reveal): https://clips.twitch.tv/HumbleTolerantAsteriskFloof-gPgUoN9pBTNErSpA Jeff Grubb on the...

www.resetera.com

Nintendo Switch 2 hardware design - What can Nintendo do to make it look different enough from the Switch?

One of the many issues with the Wii U was its hardware design; it looked like a bigger Wii. Even when it was officially shown off at E3 2011 and the tablet was the focus with the console in the background, it looked like a Wii, and I think another reason why the Wii U failed; Nintendo even said...

And a bit of speculation here?

www.resetera.com

Nintendo Switch 2? Nvidia Hiring for Next-Gen Developers Console Tool Rumor - Nintendo

Copied from source: https://tech4gamers.com/nintendo-switch-2-nvidia/ According to information obtained from an Nvidia leak that took place some time ago, a new Nintendo Switch might be in the works, including Nvidia's framerate-boosting DLSS technology and purely based on Nvidia's SoC...
We even have this thread, which is meant for all of the new Nintendo Switch discussions/questions:
www.resetera.com

New Nintendo Hardware Speculation |OT| Primed and Ready for the Next Generation of the Nintendo Switch Rumor - Nintendo - OT

Welcome to the brand new Nintendo Future Hardware Speculation |OT| on Resetera. Your brand new home to discuss all of the rumors and speculation surrounding Nintendo's long awaited upcoming Hardware Reveal. As a reminder, we have a Nintendo Community |OT2| where you can talk about more than...

People need to start using this to ask these questions or discuss these trains of thoughts.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I hope it's at least bare minimum like 1440p resolution wise. 4K would be nice but I prefer solid frame rates more so. Also longer battery life, the Switch's battery life was too short.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I disagree with calling DS to 3DS an incremental upgrade. It added stereoscopic 3D, gyro, the circle pad, significantly better hardware, a more robust online store and tons of social features. I'll be shocked if the next Nintendo system is anywhere close to as substantial of an upgrade.
But that is essentially an incremental upgrade, the DS concept remained. GBA to DS or 3DS to Switch is when the concepts changed.

Oct 27, 2017
In the past Nintendo have done incremental upgrades between consoles like the DS to 3DS. They also have done big departures like from the GameCube to Wii.
I don't understand the distinction you're making
Both were close enough to their predecessor to be fully BC. Is the difference that the Wii had a completely different control scheme? Does that mean Wii to Wii U is a big departure as well?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be an incremental upgrade, but it'll have at least one splashy new feature to set it apart from the original Switch.

Also, we have an OT for this topic:

www.resetera.com

New Nintendo Hardware Speculation & Rumors |OT| Primed & Ready for the Next Generation of the Nintendo Switch Rumor - Nintendo - OT

Welcome to the brand new Nintendo Future Hardware Speculation |OT| on Resetera. Your brand new home to discuss all of the rumors and speculation surrounding Nintendo's long awaited upcoming Hardware Reveal. As a reminder, we have a Nintendo Community |OT2| where you can talk about more than...

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Same general form factor and hybrid console setup, better internal spec (and likely a moderate boost in size to accommodate) is kinda what I expect. Size-wise, I think it'll fall somewhere between the current Switch and the Steam Deck -- won't be quite as big as the latter and still not as powerful as the latter either to keep pricing down.

I'd qualify this as incremental.

Last edited:

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Incremental upgrade is the only thing that makes sense to me. Switch is too dang successful to mess with that formula.

That being said, I won't rule out a gimmick ALA DS > 3DS that they'll ultimately abandon. The only thing I can point to for the existing Switch is the IR sensor.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Incremental update.

I kinda think Nintendo is now stuck in the hybrid niche they made for themselves after jettisoning the dedicated handheld format/split game development. They also won't attempt competing against the power of the PS5 and Xbox Series hardware.

Can't imagine them added a secondary screen now either unless they're going to make mobile exclusives that can't be played docked or without the purchase of an expensive controller with a built-in screen.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
What the hell.

Even when is speculation topics, I end up late to the party?

I'm sorry Angie. Maybe a mod can throw LTTP into the title haha.

On topic, I expect it to be a similar form factor with the same hybrid gimmick. Large scale back compatibility and a decent power upgrade.

I'm thinking of it more as an iPhone style upgrade, but more like if we jumped from an iPhone 4 to, idk, an iPhone 11?

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'm sorry Angie. Maybe a mod can throw LTTP into the title haha.

On topic, I expect it to be a similar form factor with the same hybrid gimmick. Large scale back compatibility and a decent power upgrade.

I'm thinking of it more as an iPhone style upgrade, but more like if we jumped from an iPhone 4 to, idk, an iPhone 11?
I'm going to ask to close and bump the thread from yesterday. Seems fair.
Plus seems way better researched than mine lol

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I could see them bring something back like glasses free 3D or something but it will be similar to Switch with Backward compatibility.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have a feeling it will be drastically different

I hope not and hope it's like the majority of the poll is voting for

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Incremental upgrade from Switch.

They have incredible amounts of momentum and I don't forsee them screwing it up with an all new/ different type of console.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
It will be a hybrid, and it will be called Switch "something", they won't rebrand the Nintendo Switch Online subscription to be available on the original Switch and in another completely different console, it will be a marketing nightmare.

I want a Switch 2 like everyone else, but I would love to see them offering different form factors, like a portable console with a free glasses 3D screen or a home-only version allowing to play the same games in a little form factor without a screen.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
I'm feeling its going to be switch like. More an upgraded version of the OLED. Just needs better specs under the hood honestly.

Bloodforge

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'm expecting a DS to 3DS situation. The Switch 2 will just has slightly different carts that won't fit in an original Switch.

gundalf

May 6, 2022
I'm expecting a NES to SNES situation. The Switch 2 will just has slightly different carts that won't fit in an original Switch.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
yrMZSGt6ME5QA4QaGRfwvW.jpg

Nintendo released the Switch in 2017 which means it's only a matter of time until they replace it with a new console.

In the past Nintendo have done incremental upgrades between consoles like the DS to 3DS. They also have done big departures like from the GameCube to Wii. So Era, do you think the Switch successor will be more of a big departure or an incremental upgrade?
Saw the thread title and thought "Angie, you fool! This poll can only go one way!"
And I was right.
I wasn't prepared for that foldable Switch, though. As a Galaxy Fold owner, I now want this!

Jul 22, 2022
It need to run TOTK at 1440p so I think it will have core Switch design built around a more powerfull SoC at least.
I'll say, incremental upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.