Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Unlike other games, it really feels that new Pokemon titles are reviewed in relation to previous entries in the franchise, rather than to the market at large. It's the only way I can understand the immense praise they get for including basic, industry standard features.

I mean, the Wild Area in Sword/Shield was absolutely terrible for example, and yet it was held up as a highlight of that game! They even got props for having the camera controllable with the right stick, and you'll often hear people talk about how the new release is 'the best Pokemon has ever looked!' as if that means anything when the production values are this low.

Similarly, I think the open world in Scarlet/Violet is pretty atrocious. The level design is not good imo, and assets are so similar within biomes that I never really know where anything is in relation to each other, unless there's a city or landmark nearby. You're basically just moving through areas from glowing dot on the ground to the next glowing dot. It feels so vapid tbh. There's almost no interactivity in the world, and every attempt to include something different is *incredibly* halfbaked. That 'roll the olive' minigame was something else, lol. I play a lot of open world games and I really can't think of one that has a less interesting world than this? And this is before you get into the fact that this is an 'open world' game that CLEARLY has an intended path, but never indicates what it is. I should have known that I couldn't just go anywhere. I'm turning up to some Gyms and challenges like 10+ levels about them.

The game is enjoyable for the same reason any Pokemon game is; it's fun to choose a bunch of monsters that appeal to you and raise them up over time. But I really don't think anything this game is doing outside of those Pokemon fundamentals is handled well.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
The numbering isn't the problem, it's that people treat scores like reviewing a class's scantron exam.

Like that stupid IGN Godhand, baby game meme. Two reviews by two different people for two different games with widely different intended audiences, but lol. IGN dumb.A Recommend or not recommended system wouldn't change that.
I think ditching this graded system would make it feel less like an exam and be a subtle reminder to everyone that reviews or subjective. I think grading gives the impression of objectivtiy, when reviews can't be. Like it wouldn't get rid of the problem completely, but it would help, imo.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Let me check the review score of the terrible technical mess Elden Ring is before answering you. I'll come back.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I think ditching this graded system would make it feel less like an exam and be a subtle reminder to everyone that reviews or subjective. I think grading gives the impression of objectivtiy, when reviews can't be. Like it wouldn't get rid of the problem completely, but it would help, imo.

but then ppl would whine about having to read reviews

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I kind of agree the games seem to be reviewed in a bit of a bubble. Like for all intents and purposes the "open worlds" in Arceus and Scarlet/Violet are unremarkable compared to other open worlds in other games, even 10 years ago. But because it's Pokemon trying something new, it is seen as being a positive development.

I love Pokemon, but my partner and I both agree the new games are a 5 or 6 out of 10. Perfectly playable but thoroughly average in almost every way. It is a middling series that isn't terribly exciting when new entries are announced, and I feel every "innovation" is ultimately an uninspiring attempt at something other games do far better.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I kind of agree the games seem to be reviewed in a bit of a bubble. Like for all intents and purposes the "open worlds" in Arceus and Scarlet/Violet are unremarkable compared to other open worlds in other games, even 10 years ago. But because it's Pokemon trying something new, it is seen as being a positive development.

I love Pokemon, but my partner and I both agree the new games are a 5 or 6 out of 10. Perfectly playable but thoroughly average in almost every way. It is a middling series that isn't terribly exciting when new entries are announced, and I feel every "innovation" is ultimately an uninspiring attempt at something other games do far better.

I mean, those games don't have Pokemon in them and all that entails.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Yes. I'm currently playing the game and I am definitely enjoying, but the review scores do not reflect just how much of a technical mess this game is. In addition the production values (not just graphics and performance) are simply not up to standards.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022
I absolutely did with SwSh. Those games were downright bad. SV seems about right. 7.5 would be where I land.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Most are way to soft for every popular game/genre. I'd like to see more scores below 7 for once.

I only trust a few reviewers these days so it is what it is.

Stath

Mar 4, 2022
The only way to play ER at stable performance on console is to play the PS4 version on PS5.
The PC release was atrocious.

MC 97

I'm not specifically talking about stable performance, although I probably should have said "near 60fps". Either way you cut it, you're comparing a game that's regularly going sub-30 (for everybody) to one that is largely approaching 60fps for most.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Along the years I have seen both too much praise and too much critic to inconsequential stuff. During the DS era they kept mentioning how they wanted the franchise to go full 3D, so that's why X&Y got so much praise. Then it happened again with Sword when they finally added an open area like critics asked for and probably because of the HD.

Seeing S&V as a 76 on metacritic feels just right to me. The online is a glitchy, but the game itself is fun to play and explore. They're finally getting closer to that feeling that Pokémon Snap has of a world where Pokémon are actually living there in the wild. The art direction also works pretty well for this open world.

Apart from literally getting stuck from talking to a npc one time (which tend to be close to the towns where the game autosaves), I haven't seen anything that -breaks- the game in a way where people can loose progress or have to constantly think about a glitch in order to avoid it.

The games that are fun to play but that fail to reach the potential of the franchise because of time or technical issues, and the critics tend to reflect that.
That's the sort of situation that we always end up in with mainline. We never got a 9/10 Pokémon game, even if some got close.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I feel people wish that critics were harsher on Pokemon because their critical balance is so incredibly out of whack that they perceive the series as a flaming 3/10 for each game released. Usually accompanied by posts of a single release every 5-6 years jRPG saying "why isn't it like this?" or a some fans Unreal Engine trailer that is 90% smoke and mirrors.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I'm not specifically talking about stable performance, although I probably should have said "near 60fps". Either way you cut it, you're comparing a game that's regularly going sub-30 (for everybody) to one that is largely approaching 60fps for most.
Framedropping is horrible on TV, being sub 60 or sub 30.
And you are moving the goalpost.

The point is, critics are too soft with a lot of games / devs and overall don't care about the technical sides of games.

Stath

Mar 4, 2022
Framedropping is horrible on TV, being sub 60 or sub 30.
And you are moving the goalpost.

The point is, critics are too soft with a lot of games / devs and overall don't care about the technical sides of games.

Moving the goalpost? The fuck are you doing, then. I mentioned 60fps and then you moved over to stability. Again, we're comparing a game that struggles to reach 30fps, and often just doesn't, to one that doesn't quite reach 60. It's obvious to me that you butted in without really getting what was being talked about.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Moving the goalpost? The fuck are you doing, then. I mentioned 60fps and then you moved over to stability. Again, we're comparing a game that struggles to reach 30fps, and often just doesn't, to one that doesn't quite reach 60. It's obvious to me that you butted in without really getting what was being talked about.
Stability is exactly the subject here.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon is given an enormous amount of leeway. The games are often mediocre and only stand out in character design. The technical performance problems wouldn't be excused in other Nintendo titles, let alone releases by other major developers. Corners are cut big time in this franchise, and it's one of the biggest in gaming.

The only way to play ER at stable performance on console is to play the PS4 version on PS5.
MC 97

I won't disagree that PC ER performance was a mess and deserved way more criticism. It is fun to point out that Steam deck performance was great thanks to pre-cached shaders.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I actually feel like this thread would've made more sense to post any time before SV

I think SV's fan reception will end up better than it's 77 Meta indicates in the long run. People seem to be loving the game technical issues aside

Because the glitches aren't as bad as some try to make you believe (see the CP2077 comparisons).

Also: the game has had reviewers deduct points for the performance problems.

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017

MC 97

Hardly atrocious. It had an annoying stutter but that was fixed pretty quickly. Besides that, the game has a gorgeous world. Amazing level/world design.

This is Pokemon S/V running at 20 fps with insane stutters and pop-in:

s1kN2VF.jpg

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Hardly atrocious. It had an annoying stutter but that was fixed pretty quickly. Besides that, the game has a gorgeous world. Amazing level/world design.
That was fixed AFTER the reviews, which is the topic here.
See what Alex have to say about it :
Ultimately, I'm sure that Elden Ring deserves its immensely positive reception as a game and in that respect, its status as a Eurogamer Essential is not in question. However, I can't help but think that it's time for From Software to devote a little more time to improving technical polish - to provide the complete package and to avoid situations like this. The performance scenario on the consoles isn't perfect, but there are ways and means for PS5 and Series X owners to get a very good experience - you can bypass the frame-rate drops on PS5 via using the PS4 Pro version, trading bling for extra performance (not that the user should be put into this position). Meanwhile, Xbox Series X owners can combine the performance mode with a VRR display to get a good-looking, smooth game.

But as far as I can see, there are no easy solutions to fixing Elden Ring performance on PC, certainly not on the user side - it's down to the developer to step in and address the core problems.
And that's also what I said in a previous post. In the end, critics don't care about technical side. The only thing that they can't handle is game saves breaking.

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
The new games are at 76 on metacritic, which is the lowest (IIRC) for a mainline game. Pokemon or not, they would never go much lower than that for games that sell so well.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
Pokémon deserves something more impressive than this, but we have to vote with our wallets. The games might still be fun, but the technical issues are just mindblowing for such big titles. And as long as we just keep buying them blindly, that will never change.

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
No? S/V would honestly be a 9 for me if it weren't for the technical side. I think the reviews reflect that.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon deserves something more impressive than this, but we have to vote with our wallets. The games might still be fun, but the technical issues are just mindblowing for such big titles. And as long as we just keep buying them blindly, that will never change.
I mean people already voted with their wallets. They decided that the tech issues wasn't that big of a deterrent from enjoying this game.

Tonypark

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
They are. BIG TIME. Especially the shit 2 games to get everything model that they still have. If any other game with piss poor IQ and performance came out with 2 games annually like that from anyone else, they would get destroyed by gamers and critique.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Or they just bought the game without knowing about any of that.
Well the tech issues are out all over social media, review sites, etc., so there's a chance it could affect its legs.

but most likely, it won't. "Open world Pokémon" is too appealing for a large group of people. It's also getting good word of mouth despite the issues.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Too soft in general. Yeah the Pokemon games are ugly as sin and run like trash, but I'm addicted to them. Despite all their problems, they are still some of my favorite games every year.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, I think that they are voicing the obvious criticisms with the correct tone generally.

But, if I were to review the game myself, I'd honestly say that many reviews can stand in for my views on the game.

But I'm having a really fun time with it, despite seeing its technical shortcomings every moment I play. But my experience isn't stuck in a place where the presentation and jank are dominating how I feel. It was a very rough first impression, but once the game got into its flow, I got addicted and am having a great time.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
More effective would be people taking reviews as the subjective aggregate of opinions that they are, and not extensions of their own confirmation bias

people shouldn't be "more harsh" because you or anyone else thinks they should be - their opinion is what it is and that's all it should be

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
absolutely. look at the reception that sonic got and what pokemon got.

any other game that had these issues would be destroyed