• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't that dark 90's stuff come about from a combination of both Moore and Frank Miller?

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer Grant Morrison's approach to comic book superheroes in that they are modern secular versions of mythic heroes of the past. Morrison has created some weird and dark stuff but he also penned the likes of All Star Superman.

I mean, you could have Moore's misery in which superheroes embody the worst of humanity or you could have this little gem from Morrison: "You have given them an ideal to aspire to, embodied their highest aspirations. They will race, and stumble, and fall and crawl... and curse... and finally... They will join you in the sun, Kal-El."

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Grant Morrison's approach to comic book superheroes in that they are modern secular versions of mythic heroes of the past. Morrison has created some weird and dark stuff but he also penned the likes of All Star Superman.

I mean, you could have Moore's misery in which superheroes embody the worst of humanity or you could have this little gem from Morrison: "You have given them an ideal to aspire to, embodied their highest aspirations. They will race, and stumble, and fall and crawl... and curse... and finally... They will join you in the sun, Kal-El."
This is why there's a Morrison-Moore war

A war of powerful magic that will tear apart the fabric of comics itself

Oct 26, 2017
This is why there's a Morrison-Moore war

A war of powerful magic that will tear apart the fabric of comics itself
The last I heard is that Morrison really doesn't like Moore co-opting "magic", something that has been a part of Morrison's life for decades, and treating it like a joke. The idea of symbolic magic affecting the world is likely why Morrison writes superheroes as he does.

OP
OP
ThousandEyes

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
you guys are probably right in that he hates the reaction to Watchmen instead of the product its self

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The last I heard is that Morrison really doesn't like Moore co-opting "magic", something that has been a part of Morrison's life for decades, and treating it like a joke. The idea of symbolic magic affecting the world is likely why Morrison writes superheroes as he does.
I thought Moore is an actual occultist but interesting but yeah I watched a documentary years ago and Morrison does take it seriously and he has used comics as some sort of rituals

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Moore is an actual occultist but interesting but yeah I watched a documentary years ago and Morrison does take it seriously and he has used comics as some sort of rituals
It's a part of an ongoing conflict in which the two of them accuse the other of ripping them off. But Morrison has been involved in the occult long before Moore went public about it in the early 90s with Morrison's parents and uncle introducing him to various ideas. But because Morrison's most occult titles came out after Moore went public I imagine the latter thinks negatively of the former and considers him to be retreading his own work.

OP
OP
ThousandEyes

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
It's a part of an ongoing conflict in which the two of them accuse the other of ripping them off. But Morrison has been involved in the occult long before Moore went public about it in the early 90s with Morrison's parents and uncle introducing him to various ideas. But because Morrison's most occult titles came out after Moore went public I imagine the latter thinks negatively of the former and considers him to be retreading his own work.
Morrison was also one of the first big critics of Watchmen when it came out, he's not really a fan of it at all

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

That's why I like Warren Ellis so much. He's on record as hating the genre as much as Moore or Ennis but when he does have to write them he either makes brilliant satire or even better (thinking planetary here) he recontexualizes and reinvents the genre, leaving stories and myths that instead of tearing down ultimately uplift and inspire hope.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he probably regrets doing business a certain way with certain people, sure. for good and bad the watchmen was clearly meant to be a one off thing but here we are

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It sounds like he thought that people read comics for be enlightened. While that is definitely a portion of the reader base, a lot of people read comics for less intellectual reasons.

Maybe, but I feel like it's more of him believing that he was KILLING the superhero genre in favor of more enlightened work.

And then ten years later he created yet another superhero comic imprint.

Oct 26, 2017
Alan Moore would definitely have a heart attack knowing you had people like him:

gflTuwL.gif
8h0DjJOMwp5UT5Mk13Qhr8hBUneFaa0-evw4kRnlbUg.gif
8h0DjJOMwp5UT5Mk13Qhr8hBUneFaa0-evw4kRnlbUg.gif

5767045-5256041422-Chf1N.jpg

working on a film adaptation of your project.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Renegade Cut did a great video on how Watchmen was an actual deconstructionist superhero comic but it inspired copycats that didn't understand postmodernism or deconstructionism and were self-aware for no deeper purpose. So yeah, Moore regrets the influence it had on comics.

Much like how Nolan might regret the movie industry taking the wrong lessons from his Batman films to just make darker versions of well known properties with no rhyme or reason. Or even how Inception trailer music inspired the worst excesses in film trailers after it. Or how Greengrass Bourne films inspired the worst excesses in shaky cam action after it.

Deleted member 45211

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Moore should know that after or with postmodernism comes late-stage capitalism, where any and every virtue is eventually turned into a commodity to be sold. Watchmen started as a critique and a statement, but it is now an aesthetic to be bought and traded. NWA started as counter-culture music, but it is now an aesthetic to be packaged and sold. Assimilation is inevitable, and I'm sure Alan Moore knows that -- he's too well-read not to -- so he's probably not as angry as we all imagine he is.

in.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are these movies doing other than entertaining us with stories and characters that were meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of 50 years ago?

Comic books don't have the best writing, but they're good fantasy fodder. They stirred the imagination then, and they still do it now, just like mythlore has for the last several millennia. Are they supposed to do something else? What would that be, and why?

Are we supposed to somehow embody these characters? That's ridiculous. They are not characters that can possibly exist in the real world.

Yes... That would be ridiculous. I don't even understand what this part is trying to say. They're fantasy stories, they're not real, they're not supposed to resemble reality.

He's a curmudgeon old wizard who is upset that his cosmic brain graphic novel didn't get taken more seriously.
It seems like he sat around in a room sniffing his own farts, thinking he was going to transcend the medium, and is mad that everyone else just sees the comic book he wrote as a comic book.

i'd regret writing rorschach after seeing how people reacted to him too

I read him describe Rorschach as a a right wing nutjob, which he definitely wasn't in the comic. Maybe he should have done a better job of conveying his intentions, instead of pretending other people are too stupid to understand them.

Last edited:

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Garth Ennis hates Superheroes more than anyone else on the planet
He has notable exceptions like Superman and Spiderman, but this man has a raging hate boner for anything involving superheroes, organised religion, and zombies. Its not even edgy in its dislike its pure loathing.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Moore should know that after or with postmodernism comes late-stage capitalism, where any and every virtue is eventually turned into a commodity to be sold. Watchmen started as a critique and a statement, but it is now an aesthetic to be bought and traded. NWA started as counter-culture music, but it is now an aesthetic to be packaged and sold. Assimilation is inevitable, and I'm sure Alan Moore knows that -- he's too well-read not to -- so he's probably not as angry as we all imagine he is.
The world is littered with people who thought that their artistic work could break that cycle, in spite of everything saying to the contrary. I assume Alan Moore is no different. And perhaps it still will, but probably not within his lifetime.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As well he should.

Moore can do or say anything because, as far as I am concerned, he has the greatest body of work in the medium. And in From Hell he created something that both transcended and recontextualised that medium.

Shame about the shitty movie. If I had written that and had Hollywood butcher it in that way, I'd be pretty bitter too.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I read him describe Rorschach as a a right wing nutjob, which he definitely wasn't in the comic. Maybe he should have done a better job of conveying his intentions, instead of pretending other people are too stupid to understand them.
I mean, he's pretty blatantly a right-wing nutjob in the comic itself (i.e. end-times preacher when not on the job, reads right-wing tabloid trash, excuses American excess domestically and abroad incl. the Comedian and his actions, has blatantly awful views on women and LGBTQ individuals, etc).

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't know. It has been really difficult to read (as in ascertain what he's been thinking from one month to another) Moore over the years. I doubt it would even be helpful to ask him. His answer might leave even more questions.

The man did write some great comics though.