• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Uh, I'd hate to tell you about what the government in Israel is doing... if the situation in the US bothers you, why would you consider going there?

And join their military?

From your posts I'd think you would want to see him get re-elected.
I would prefer a European country obviously,but getting citizenship to one of those is not going to be nearly as easy.
English seems to be fluent there and has a reasonable cost of living compared to the US? The mandatory military service gives me pause on it.

This is obviously something i need to do a ton of research on.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
And my point is people thinking of immigration shouldn't be shut down because "oh you can just wait it out". For most of us, and big-brain prediction here, America is not going to get better within a decade, or even two decades. Mass shootings will still be prevalent, universal healthcare will not be a thing, the vitriolic two-party system will still exist, lobbying, etc. etc.

There's nothing here to "wait out". If people are thinking of immigration then let them. Let them hold onto that thought, research, and plan ahead so that one day they'll attain that possibility.

Don't get me wrong, people are free to plan whatever they want to, I'm not telling anyone to wait it out. I'm just saying that if you're planning on leaving, make sure that you can stay in what ever country you end up in.

I'm just pointing out that getting citizenship can be really hard in some countries when you don't have a claim to refuge.

And things will probably become even more dire in the US, I have no doubts about that, but for people to start fleeing the US and getting immigration status it needs to get really bad.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Keep living my life in Germany with my GF who luckily left the US 7 years ago already.
When we first got together we both had plans to eventually visit the US for a bit but over the last years both of us have lost any and all desire to go there. Even my GF has just completely washed her hands of the country she spent most of her life in.
We both know there are great places and people in the US but we're just over it.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I fled in 2016 because I feared for my life, if Trump gets reelected then there will truly be nothing left to return to. The fact that we are even discussing the reelection of a fascist white supremacist that has brought pain to millions and constructed concentration camps across the country depresses me beyond belief, and makes me wish I could close my eyes and never wake up.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Not planning on leaving.

1. Trump isn't going to win barring a fuck-up of historic proportions by the Democrats or successful interference by foreign powers.

2. I'd bet many federal agencies are actively working on stopping Russian interference despite Trump/Barr/McConnell's attempts to keep elections un-secure.

However, if Trump did win again. I'm not gonna leave. The GOP is eating the country alive, but I still have a STEM degree in a desired specialization, which means my job odds are pretty safe. Things wouldn't be bad enough for me personally to consider leaving.

Besides, I'm young, and the U.S. will bounce back. We always have, and I'm confident it'll happen again.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I would prefer a European country obviously,but getting citizenship to one of those is not going to be nearly as easy.
English seems to be fluent there and has a reasonable cost of living compared to the US? The mandatory military service gives me pause on it.

Choosing to go and do military service in Israel? That would be a massive FUCK NO from me, I'm afraid.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend has a few good friends who live in Canada and since we started dating we've pretty much said we wanna end up over there. Especially with both of us being artistically inclined, living somewhere that actually funds the arts sounds pretty nice. Same with the legalized weed since Cuomo's taken his sweet-ass time with that.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
We're not going anywhere, at least not until we retire. All of our family and friends are here. We are fortunate enough to have the means to move if we wanted to, and my wife is a medical professional, so we could probably get on the fast track to citizenship in Canada, but...we'll stay. Trump will be gone at some point, and hopefully we can return to some sense of normalcy at some point.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The democrat who can beat him isn't materializing. My plan B is to keep arguing for sanity.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

How old are you? If you're over 28, you won't have to do any military service. Pretty sure you can get out of it easily anyway though.

As an Israeli, I'm not going to recommend living here, in a practically apartheid state.
But, if American liberal jews come here and support anti occupation protests, actions and vote to non-Zionists, I'm not going to complain.

You can hit me up in DM if you have questions about living here.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with those that want to leave is, unless you have a connection to the other country you want to leave to (such as dual citizenship), or have some kind of much needed professional designation, or are seeking asylum, it's just not that easy.

For a lot of folks, if they chose to move out of the states (legally), by the time they filled out the paperwork, got approved (assuming you do, and that's not easy either), and settled your affairs, Trump's second term (God forbid) would be almost over.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I've been saving up for this eventuality. Will I leave the country? Maybe, maybe not. But if my state votes red again, then fuck it, I'll move to a blue state at the least.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
If I can get out of the country I will. I doubt I'll have the money, though. Depending on how bad it gets, I'd probably seriously consider killing myself, but I'd hate to let that orange fuck win.
I don't mean to be dismissive, but what kind of situation are you in that suicide is a viable option rather than putting up with 4 more years of Trump?

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing, I will continue to live life as I am with him as the current president. I am not going to pick up my entire life and move because of who is president.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, can you please describe your life prior to and after Trump?

There must be a major negative change in your life if you are thinking about packing up and moving to a new country, and starting over.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to be dismissive, but what kind of situation are you in that suicide is a viable option rather than putting up with 4 more years of Trump?

Endless, endless depression and anxiety, being constantly drowned in negativity and hate every single day. What's the point in trying to tank four more years of this nonsense? I don't want to live in this country anymore if it proves it's that unsalvageable.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Well if anyone wants to escape to the Netherlands if Trump wins again, I can sacrifice myself for a greencard marriage lol.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I lived in S. Korea from 2014-2018, I've literally told everyone that depending what happens in 2020, I'm either staying or heading out again. I have a dog now so that complicates things with moving internationally, but I refuse to stay in the US if that festering asshole is elected again.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
How old are you? If you're over 28, you won't have to do any military service. Pretty sure you can get out of it easily anyway though.

As an Israeli, I'm not going to recommend living here, in a practically apartheid state.
But, if American liberal jews come here and support anti occupation protests, actions and vote to non-Zionists, I'm not going to complain.

You can hit me up in DM if you have questions about living here.
I just turned 26,but I could wait a little bit longer just to avoid it if at all possible. Israel would definitely be a last resort if things over here go south.

My dad lived in Tel Aviv back in 89, but I'm assuming things changed a lot since then. He never had his Bar Mitzvah and refused to go to Hebrew studies,but his mother was Jewish so that would be enough for the law of return.

I will definitely PM you if I have any questions :D

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm scared of the rise of both white nationalism and domestic terrorism. I know media ain't 100% accurate all the time, but I would not take the risk of putting a foot on American soil as of right now.

Both are of course concerns.

But the day to day life for the average American hasn't really changed much since trump got elected. Many non Americans think it's like mad max here now haha.

From 2016 to 2017, hate crimes increased by 17 percent. A real problem and a clear trend, but it's not like they've doubled.

Oct 27, 2017
Leaving out of your city/state/country? Has the thought crossed your mind yet?
I understand not everyone has that privilege to just walk up and leave so i totally understand that.

Edit- I had thoughts of making aliyah through my father and live in Israel at least until all this madness stops but i would need to
1.Find a job
2. Probably learn Hebrew fast
3. Live there with a government that's probably just as bad as the US. :/
Probably a poor idea in the fist place, but it's just an idea.
Does Earth have a Plan B?

Mothballs

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
So, when Trump got elected everyone was up in arms about how the country is going to fall apart. Shits gonna be out to lunch anarchy and there will be chaos. Here we are nearly four years later and....the country just keeps putting along. Stupid decisions have been made and shitty things have happened just like in every other administration before but for the most part day to day life has continued on just as it did previously.

People saying they are "seriously considering killing" themselves? Even the thought of packing up and moving to another country? Come on. At the beginning of every administration people say it's the end of the country. It's all over. And yet....it keeps going on and on. My prediction for if Trump (does) get re-elected? Daily life continues on. Very little changes in day to day life. Four years later someone else gets elected. Rinse and repeat.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not privileged enough to have the luxury of just up and leaving the country. Most people don't which is why I find these topics so weird.

I guess wealthy people can leave if they want to.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm assuming this happens and will continue to do what I'm doing - focusing on my career, working on my house, saving, investing. Just making sure my family's future is secure.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably continue to dislike a large percentage of Americans whether Trump wins or loses. My opinion on some people in that country is so low that I don't think an inevitable second Trump term will change a thing