• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After receiving an amazon echo dot as a gift and finally taking it out the box to give it a try, I realised I wanted to get into home automation and smarten up my home.

Its addictive though.....once you automate one thing, every non automated thing feels like a missed opportunity.

I started off with a hue lamp in the bedroom. Now every lamp in my house has a hue lamp and every switch replaced with hue dinners.

I then bought a Honeywell evohome heating system which includes seperate valves for each radiator in the house.

Then I bought a wifi ir/rf controller to voice control my TV.

Then I bought more echos to voice control it all from any room.

Now I'm wanting to put a smart/motorised lock on my door, install a video doorbell, make every light work with a presence sensor and put motorised blinds in every window.

Smart home addiction is real. And expensive as he'll.

Do any of you out there use any smart home gadgets?

Anyone else feel like they need to automate all of the things?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
anigif_enhanced-16366-1407719190-1.gif

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I've got a Google Home in my kitchen and a Home Mini in my living room.
Got two coloured LiFX wifi bulbs in my kitchen that I use to make the room look like Blade Runner.
Got a Chromecast Ultra + Audio in my TV/Speakers. I'm a Google boy.

Picked up a third LiFX bulb last week but unsure whether I want it in my room or the living room.

I like them! They're fun and different.

bitsykibbles

Oct 27, 2017
I have two Bluetooth lightbulbs in my bedroom and if Google follows through a Google Home mini on the way.

OP
OP
GrizzleBoy

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JMizzlin

Yep, you are super Google hah.

I agree about the interestingness of wifi lamps. They can really rransform a room. My 2 year old is obsessed with turning all the rooms in the house different colours. Thank god he cant pronounce "alexa" well enough yet or Wed be living in a constantly shifting rainbow house.

I've been really considering going the Google home route though. I feel is use my echos for much more than just automation if they were as capable of more natural discussion and as knowledgeable as Google's assistant.

Oct 30, 2017
I have universal media server on my MBP so I can stream wirelessly to my PS4. Not spectacular but I think it's cool. Also my house is 60 years old and the smartest thing about it is grounded outlets in the bathrooms and kitchen