Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
People can be shitty on the internet when video games aren't involved and are so regularly. This definition of a gamer where it supposedly means someone acting like a shit online isn't what the word means to almost everyone in the real world.
I've still had that hypothetical conversation with a lot of people and everyone is understanding or comes away with new knowledge about shit like gamer gate. You can explain it all pretty concisely in one or two sentences.

Having a conversation is a lot more than just listing your labels and likes.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can be shitty on the internet when video games aren't involved and are so regularly. This definition of a gamer where it supposedly means someone acting like a shit online isn't what the word means to almost everyone in the real world.
Weren't you just in the anti-LGBT eurogamer thread pointing out that bad people are everywhere.

What purpose do you think this "well actually" garbage serves? Why is this label so important to you?

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't you just in the anti-LGBT eurogamer thread pointing out that bad people are everywhere.

What purpose do you think this "well actually" garbage serves? Why is this label so important to you?

The label isn't important to me in the slightest, I'm trying to get an understanding of why NOT being called a gamer is so important to other people because most of the reasons given so far don't make a lot of sense.

And my post in that thread was a direct response to posts like "all gamers are garbage" because that's simply a false statement.
I've still had that hypothetical conversation with a lot of people and everyone is understanding or comes away with new knowledge about shit like gamer gate. You can explain it all pretty concisely in one or two sentences.

Having a conversation is a lot more than just listing your labels and likes.

They come away with knowledge of stuff like gamergate because you're telling them about it, which is fine, but doesn't change my point that the word gamer doesn't carry all these negative connotations to the majority of people so it seems really bizarre to try and impose them on it.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Video games have always and will continue to be a big part of my life but I still wouldn't really call myself a gamer as I have many other interests too in other nerdy and non nerdy areas.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
The label isn't important to me in the slightest, I'm trying to get an understanding of why NOT being called a gamer is so important to other people because most of the reasons given so far don't make a lot of sense.

They come away with knowledge of stuff like gamergate because you're telling them about it, which is fine, but doesn't change my point that the word gamer doesn't carry all these negative connotations to the majority of people so it seems really bizarre to try and impose them on it.
I'm responding to your hypothetical that exists. I tell those people I don't want to be associated with the term gamer.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm responding to your hypothetical that exists. I tell those people I don't want to be associated with the term gamer.

Fine but that just really doesn't make sense to me. You're telling people you don't want to be associated with a word because of a definition that isn't even used or know of by the majority of people. It's like getting offended by someone calling you a football fan because of the racism and homophobia that exists within football fandom.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I don't like the term personally, for 2 main reasons:

1) No other main mediums of consuming media require terms like tv-watcher, book reader, music listener, etc. so why should games.

2) If you say to someone you're a gamer, it's comes with negative connotations like your immature or you're wasting your time.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
All this political and gamergate stuff is something almost noone knows about outside these communitys and gamer is not synonymous with anything regarding terrible opinions or behaviour for the vast majority of people.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people who run identify themselves as runners?

https://www.runnersworld.com
You're so close
All this political and gamergate stuff is something almost noone knows about outside these communitys and gamer is not synonymous with anything regarding terrible opinions or behaviour for the vast majority of people.
It doesn't even have to go that far, would you tell someone you're a gamer in an interview?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
People keep bringing up the "movier" or "reader" argument like those terms even exist. They don't, that's why people don't use them. However, there are many labels based on peoples hobbies that we do use. People that ride their bike a lot, hangsout in cycling forums, etc, are called cyclist. People that play golf, hang out in golf clubs, and spend extra time and money on that hobby usually call themselves golfers. Rockclimbers, kayakers, hunters, fishermen, etc. There are plenty of labels people attach themselves to based on their hobby. It's not new or weird or silly, it's just a thing.

If someone, somewhere started a meme that said "I'm a rockclimber, not because I on sighted a 5.14d, but because I hate women and minorities, I can almost guarantee the people in that community would stand up and say whoa, that's not who we are.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
Fine but that just really doesn't make sense to me. You're telling people you don't want to be associated with a word because of a definition that isn't even used or know of by the majority of people. It's like getting offended by someone calling you a football fan because of the racism and homophobia that exists within football fandom.
I know what people are like that revel in the gamer terminology and don't want to be associated with them. The knowledge of the person using the term doesn't matter to me and I explain why I don't want to be called a gamer if I need to, it's pretty simple. I don't think you're giving people enough credit here.

Andy Mac

Banned
Jun 28, 2018
Well I have never come across a watcher or a reader or a listener

What about PC Gamer and Eurogamer?

They are pretty popular sites, right?

Seems like, just as "runner" is a popular term for people who are into running, "gamer" is a popular term for people who are into video games.

I just don't personally understand the determination by some to poison or taint the term or to give it additional, and quite serious, connotations.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know what people are like that revel in the gamer terminology and don't want to be associated with them. The knowledge of the person using the term doesn't matter to me and I explain why I don't want to be called a gamer if I need to, it's pretty simple. I don't think you're giving people enough credit here.

Look I'm not saying you need to accept that you're a gamer. I think most reasons for not wanting to be called one are fine, like the stigma of immaturity or the impression of laziness or whatever.

I just don't think "I don't want people to associate me with toxic gamergaters" is a reasonable reason because the vast majority of people in the world haven't even heard of gsmersgate or know anything about it. It's just a weird thing to try and defend yourself against because it's not something anyone is accusing you of being associated with.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
Look I'm not saying you need to accept that you're a gamer. I think most reasons for not wanting to be called one are fine, like the stigma of immaturity or the impression of laziness or whatever.

I just don't think "I don't want people to associate me with toxic gamergaters" is a reasonable reason because the vast majority of people in the world haven't even heard of gsmersgate or know anything about it. It's just a weird thing to try and defend yourself against because it's not something anyone is accusing you of being associated with.
I like explaining gamer gate shit to people who have never heard of it because it's usually an eye opening experience.

Oct 28, 2017
In all honesty, if someone were to assume that I hated women, gays, and minorities just because I told them I enjoyed playing games on my computer then I'd tell them to buzz off.

I just don't want to be thought of as the kind of dude who only cares about video games, and walks around in Super Mario tee shirts. That's moreso the image I'm trying to avoid.

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really identify as anything, there's loads of different stuff I do but why label yourself with any of it?

Andy Mac

Banned
Jun 28, 2018

The funny thing is that you would be FAR more likely to be accused of being associated with GG etc by another person who is into video games.

Its kind of funny to think of folks with quite large libraries of games who read game reviews and post on gaming forums all accusing each other of being gamers while denying that they themselves are a gamer.

To an outsider I'd imagine that would be kind of mindblowing to witness.

I'm not a gamer! You're the only gamer here! By the way when do you think PS5 is coming out?
Did you just call ME a gamer? Screw you buddy YOU'RE the gamer in this situation! I hope it's here by 2020 and I hope a Horizon sequel is available at launch...

Gamers. :)

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
There isn´t a direct translation of "gamer" to my native language (Spanish, where "jugador" is still more attached to player / gambler), and therefore the concept isn´t charged by some of the pejorative connotations it has in other cultures. At most, it still carries the old nerd / geek / inmature representations but not the gamergate / alt-right / racist ones.

That said, it is seldomly used to refer to someone who plays videogames as their main hobby, like myself. I don´t use the term but I´m not offended when I´m addressed with it (for example, my wife usually includes "gamer" when informally describing me to other people).

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
Nope.

Gamers popularized swatting.
Gamers piss their diapers when publishers try to expand their audience.
Gamers sic the mob on developers when the studio's vision doesn't sync up with their headcanon.
Gamers stood by and watched peoples lives become ruined for the bullshit idea of "quality journalism."
Gamer culture turned into Alt Right culture & Proud Boys & Trumpism.

That aint me.

Einherjer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I like explaining gamer gate shit to people who have never heard of it because it's usually an eye opening experience.

You really do that? Man that's even more cringey then playing video games and hanging around video game sites and then telling everyone you are not a gamer for some weird political reasons.

Last edited:

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
All these people in here discriminating against gamers in here are bad allies. I'll have you know that gamers are the number one most oppressed minority group in the world, but that's something that the liberal media doesn't want you to know. GAMERS RISE UP!!

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I find it a bit strange. You're not a "movier" because you watch movies or so. Same goes for music. You can be an enthusiast though, which is probably how I would describe it. It's a hobby; I am a consumer. If I was in e-sports, maybe 'gamer' would be a good term, like 'footballer' or so. Even if you're an amateur of sorts, seeing as amateur musicians still call themselves 'guitarists' or 'pianists' etc. But I never like 'gamer', seeing as I feel like it categorized me with a lot of people I didn't care for, and I find - and excuse me for saying this - that most 'gamers' don't usually care for much else in life, and I find that a little sad.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But then all you're doing is turning a simple yes/no question into a much more long winded yes/no question. When someone asks "are you a gamer" or something similar, all they're asking is "do you play video games".

Eventually you're going to tell them that you do play video games, so I guess I still don't see the point of preceding the answer with a long winded explination about how their definition of the word gamer (the one used by most people to simply mean someone who plays video game) is different from the one you and a relatively small subset of people use.

You do you but I don't get it. It's a simple question and there's no accusations or connotations other than the ones you impose on it.

Again I think there's a bunch of reasons to not want to call yourself a gamer, but this one I just don't get.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is people in general are just bad, and I feel people use the hobby as a way to separate themselves from the fact that some humans are just horrible, and they can fall into that category as well. Using the hobby as a scapegoat for their actions is so lazy and just wrong. Playing games didn't make people horrible, it just gave them a platform to be horrible on. In the end they are horrible people regardless. Look at youtube comments...

Anyway there as labels for all hobbies.. foodie, movie/film buff, reader (I've seen many people level themselves as avid readers), Music lovers, etc. It's more of a label to describe your hobbies, not you.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
But then all you're doing is turning a simple yes/no question into a much more long winded yes/no question. When someone asks "are you a gamer" or something similar, all they're asking is "do you play video games".

Eventually you're going to tell them that you do play video games, so I guess I still don't see the point of preceding the answer with a long winded explination about how their definition of the word gamer (the one used by most people to simply mean someone who plays video game) is different from the one you and a relatively small subset of people use.

You do you but I don't get it. It's a simple question and there's no accusations or connotations other than the ones you impose on it.

Again I think there's a bunch of reasons to not want to call yourself a gamer, but this one I just don't get.
You're making a lot of assumptions about these conversations that you haven't been a part of. You also seem to think I'm hiding the fact I play games.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're making a lot of assumptions about these conversations that you haven't been a part of. You also seem to think I'm hiding the fact I play games.

I'm not at all, I'm not sure why you feel the need to distinguish between a "gamer" and someone who plays video games. To the person asking, they're the same thing.

I have been a part of these conversations, not sure why you'd think I haven't. I'm not assuming you're hiding anything either, i just don't get the arbitrary distinction that you're trying to impose.

Like, you're trying to say "I'm not part of that group" to someone who, chances are, doesn't even know the group exists by using a weird definition of gamer that's only used by people in the gaming community.

Last edited:

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
The irony is that only the really hard-core have strong opinions about the "gamer" label being applied to them or not.

For most it's not something they think about at all expect in specific contexts; i.e. it's just a simple descriptor about something they do - a quick, easy and widely understood word that conveys information about a hobby to another person.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
No

Do people who watch tv identify themselves as watchers?

Well, viewer - so yes. But a more appropriate analogy to game -> gamer (as opposed to player) would be:

tv -> tver (as opposed to viewer)
book -> booker (as opposed to reader)
music -> musicer (as opposed to listener)

Toxicity aside, it's never made english sense. It's basically a neologism, and it just honestly makes you sound like you're 10 years old.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
I'm not at all, I'm not sure why you feel the need to distinguish between a "gamer" and someone who plays video games. To the person asking, they're the same thing.

I have been a part of these conversations, not sure why you'd think I haven't. I'm not assuming you're hiding anything either, i just don't get the arbitrary distinction that you're trying to impose.

Like, you're trying to say "I'm not part of that group" by using a weird definition of gamer that's only used by people in the gaming community.
No, you're speculating and making assumptions about real conversations I've had with real people. Quoting you again:

I'll take every opportunity I can to explain how shitty an extremely vocal subset of people (mostly men) are on the internet.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, you're speculating and making assumptions about real conversations I've had with real people. Quoting you again:

I'll take every opportunity I can to explain how shitty an extremely vocal subset of people (mostly men) are on the internet.

How am I assuming anything? You're saying that you're explaining gamergate to people. What assumption am I making?

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
No, because I see it as an inherently exclusionary term in all practical connotations, and I want to see the act of playing video games become as ubiquitous as possible, with people from all walks of life considering video games as acceptable and mundane an activity as watching tv, listening to music, or watching a movie.

The thing about people claiming "Being a gamer just means playing video games" is that it ignores the statistics of people who actually play games and what the term gamer means and how it is used. A little over half of people who play games are female and older, thanks to the rise of mobile gaming, but the term gamer has an entirely different connotation. Certain people play a ton of games, but if they aren't a part of certain core genres or they aren't tied in to some part of the larger gaming zeitgeist that term isn't seen as applicable. My mom plays lots of mobile games regularly, my girlfriend specifically loves Animal Crossing, but you'll find next to no one who would hear that and call either of them a gamer, and they certainly wouldn't call themselves gamers either.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
And none of the "gamers" offered their sincere apologies or condolences.

Not to mention gaming culture had a problem with bigotry long before gamergate was a thing. Maybe these 10,000,000 non-hateful gamers should speak up more.

And this is just one issue. Lord knows that the culture has a major consumerist problem and Peter Pan syndrome
Yep, i definetly noticed that most just ignored that post - for all the people posting that everyone is of course gamers, they are ignoring the fact that for a very long time unless you were a straight, white man, you weren't able to count yourself as a gamer. I don't want to be counted as part of a community that (a) hasn't wanted me and (b) has deliberately excluded others for being just who they are. It would be different if I actually saw the majority of gamers fight against the toxicity in the culture but in general they don't. When there's abuse most gamers just ignore it. To me that's almost as bad.