Votes: 583 46.8%
  • Ocarina of Time

Votes: 664 53.2%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
These are the two most classic games in the franchise. In many ways, Ocarina is a 3D reimagining of the basic concepts behind A Link to the Past; find three jewels, reach the fake final boss, and then get thrust into a fallen world under Ganon's control.

As we all know, the details are what matter, and the execution of these ideas is vastly different between games. Each one has a unique vibe or feel. The Hyrule of LttP feels distinct from the Hyrule of OoT. The denizens of each game's worlds also feel wholly distinct.

Personally, I still love LttP more. Something about its world grabs me a bit more strongly than Ocarina's. There's a sense of ominous dread throughout the Light World segments, with Agahnim already having control over Hyrule Castle and its guards. The dungeons feel more isolated from the world, which I feel leaves them as more mysterious than their OoT counterparts that are right next to civilization. And the Dark World feels so much more oppressive and dangerous than the timeskip in Ocarina - it's not just your world in ruin, it's a dark dimension that transforms people into horrible monstrous versions of themselves, where the trees talk to you and try to kill you, where everything is warped and twisted, where it looks just similar enough to what you know while still feeling totally alien.

I love OoT quite a bit, but LttP still takes the cake in my mind.

What about you?

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think Link to the Past is a better game overall, but Ocarina of Time is very special for me. I was obsessed with the game when I was a kid since they first announced it and show Beta images.

Until this day, I could play it so many times and never get bored, and still love it like the first time.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see this poll done again, but the options are "I like X/Y more but I played X/Y first" because something tells me whichever you played first would probably affect your answer.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
LTTP was a better game relative when to when it released, and its aged far better than Ocarina. Ocarina also cribbed hard off of LTTP.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time. Much better. In fact, I still think OoT is the best Zelda game.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A Link to the Past still holds up today without feeling dated (A benefit a lot of 2d games have)

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Link To The Past.

It's the top tier, top-down Zelda.

I love The Ocarina Of Time, but it was the first 3D game. They improved the formula with just about every later 3D entry.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I just can't get into 2D Zelda's sadly :/ I lose interest and can't remember finishing one

Plus Ocarina of Time is one of the GOAT

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can never get very far in ALTTP. i think my last try i turned into a bunny and couldn't figure out what to do next. i think link's awakening is my ALTTP.

Meta

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
Not even close, ALttP still plays like a definitive 2D adventure game. OoT hasn't aged well.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I can play a lttp every year and not get bored. Ocarina was amazing but it hasn't aged as well. I can play it but I'd love if they would completely remake it with more modern graphics. It doesn't need much, but better geometry and character models would go a long way.

Oct 28, 2017
LttP may have aged slightly better but man nothing compares to the first time playing through ocarina of time back in '98. Utterly mind blowing.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I think strictly from gameplay I prefer ALttP more, as someone that started gaming with Ocarina. Ocarina is pretty much ALttP 3D but it's to me more of a slog to get to the good stuff than ALttP. Plus apart from Ocarina's Water Dungeon I just prefer LttP's dungeons.

I used to love 3D Zeldas but now I can't stand them anymore, whereas I can go back to pretty much any of the 2D Zeldas and have a blast.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Both games are great. I still play both sort of regularly as Randomisers.

LttP just edges it for me. OoT is just a bit clunkier with controls imo.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly it's hard to fairly compare the two. They're VERY different. It's kind of like comparing Zelda 1 and 2 at this point. I prefer OOT, but I love both.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to play LttP at least 5 different times across various formats and I always end up getting bored and dropping it after the 4th-ish dungeon. Lost count of the amount of times I've completed OoT though.

LttP isn't even the best 2D Zelda.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Which of the two has multiple stealth sections, subpar controls by today's standards, the water temple, those annoying hover boots and a barren overworld, among many other issues?

Despite all that, I still like OoT, but ALTTP is better on every level apart from soundtrack, so the choice is simple.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not even close - LttP.

Twilight Princess was the first 3D Zelda where I felt like they got everything mostly right (Wind Waker was close). And then they had to ruin it with Skyward Sword & then go in an entirely different direction for BotW.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Unpopular opinion, but despite being the first Zelda i played/finished, i'm kind of not a big fan of A Link to the Past. I feel like it's too confusing and vague at times, specially when you get to the past. I know why it's praised or a great game, but it didn't clicked that well with me.

Which means Ocarina wins easily.

Tho Twilight Princess is actually my favorite in the series, which is unpopular opinion part 2 :p

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina.

To be honest, I hate playing LTTP. They made big steps afterwards in improving how 2d link controls (especially in things like the range of the sword), and I find going back to LTTP a frustrating endeavour.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OoT is a truly special game personally, so even though I love LttP I can't say it's the better one for me.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I'm not a 2D loyalist and so I can say with no bias that Ocarina of Time is the far superior game.

ALttP should focus on defeating ALBW before talking big game about being better than Ocarina.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ocarina.

To be honest, I hate playing LTTP. They made big steps afterwards in improving how 2d link controls (especially in things like the range of the sword), and I find going back to LTTP a frustrating endeavour.

Was about to post but this basically covers my opinions on it

LttP is fantastic structurally and it laid the groundwork, but the hit detection especially with some of the bosses is more annoying than anything else.

Ocarina is aging a little bit (Link moves a bit slowly for my tastes) but in general I think it's a smoother experience.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I prefer ALttP, but I feel like Ocarina is the better one due to how it influences 3d game design up to this day.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Ocarina of Time by a country mile. Best game in the series and it's personally my favorite game of all time - I replay it every year.

A Link to the Past is an excellent game though, probably my second favorite in the series.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I like both of course, for various reasons.
But I must say A Link To The Past. I've played it so many times already and it's the Zelda-game I keep coming back to.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow it's crazy that I've never really thought about this before. It's such an obvious, tough conundrum. Overall though I have to go OoT. Supremely influential not just on videogames but on what I thought of as possible in videogames. Both games have lost a little in the control department with age as expected, but both are absolute pantheon classics in my top 20 games of all time.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
LttP for sure. It refined the formula into an almost perfect game. Ocarina felt more like a tech demo than a Zelda game to me at the time. I enjoyed it but at this point feel like it sidetracked the original Zelda formula.

BotW seems like it did a great job of merging 3D Zelda with the exploration and discovery of the original 2D games. I'm sad it took this long, but it seems like the new and improved formula is hopefully here to stay.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
A Link to the Past still holds up today without feeling dated (A benefit a lot of 2d games have)
It feels dated to me by proxy of Link Between Worlds being a better game in basically every facet.

I think I only first played ALttP around the time Twilight Princess was out, and it felt very... basic compared to all the other games in the series I played up to that point. Like, not original LoZ basic, but still. I think I only found one dungeon in the entire game to be particularly enjoyable (Ice Palace, I think?) because it was the only one to actually challenge me mentally. Even Oracle of Seasons, with its emphasis on combat akin to how ALttP was designed, felt more engaging to me.

...Man, we need those Oracle remakes. :<