• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like Nintendo?

• Yes

Votes: 2,144 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 403 11.8%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 856 25.2%

• Total voters

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
It's a bit of a love/hate relationship for me, I suppose. I love some of their first party title, which is the sole reason I bought a Switch. But I seriously hate a lot of things about em: ridiculous pricing, inferior ports, abysmal online infrastructure, serious neglect for longtime fan franchises, poor hardware, low framerates and resolutions, tons of bad ports, dubious third party quality control, old fashioned and conservative management, I could go on…

I put up with it for the few first party titles I like, but my Nintendo machines gather dust most of the time. I think what disappoints me the most is that even with 1 platform they fail to provide a steady stream of classics with all their studios.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
At the age of 6-8 I played Sega games on Master System, and third party games on NES. Nintendo games at the time were OK, but not much more.

As a grown man pushing 40 I appreciate storytelling in games, and games that push the media that way. Nintendo games where story is almost absent do nothing for me.

I do actually own a Switch. And I use my PS3 more than I use my Switch.
Funnily enough, there are still children of that age discovering the hobby today. So when you say 'what do we lose', I guess it's a matter of who you think 'we' is. For me it includes my kid, so I'm glad there's a mix of Nintendo's 'games are for everyone' approach alongside the huge amount of action games aimed at adults who have grown up with the hobby like you and I.

Oct 27, 2017
Mobile hardware isn't the same as outdated hardware. The Switch is outdated now, sure, but so was the PS4 at the beginning of 2018 - which is equivalently where we are now with the Switch. It was essentially the best available at the time of launch.

Saying the company that made Breath of the Wild is pushing backwards in software is also a hell of a take, and the industry at large seems to disagree with it.

The PS4 and Xbone were somewhat outdated at launch, yeah. The Switch was a souped-up PS360 launching after the Wii U crashed like the Hindenburg.

Breath of the Wild was a mediocre game with some good ideas. And however much I dislike Ubisoft generally, Immortals: Fenyx Rising was a better version of BotW.

Funnily enough, there are still children of that age discovering the hobby today. So when you say 'what do we lose', I guess it's a matter of who you think 'we' is. For me it includes my kid, so I'm glad there's a mix of Nintendo's 'games are for everyone' approach alongside the huge amount of action games aimed at adults who have grown up with the hobby like you and I.

If I had a kid today, I would probably have steered that kid towards things like the 16-bit Sonic games, Sonic Mania, Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy etc. Nintendo would have been at the bottom of my list.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
No. The fact they still exist irritates me because I hate their games and hardware so much.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 and Xbone were somewhat outdated at launch, yeah. The Switch was a souped-up PS360 launching after the Wii U crashed like the Hindenburg.
While consuming less than 15W, which was utilitized in a meaningful way by putting a battery and screen in the thing.

That's not - or rather, wasn't - outdated. Outdated tech in the Switch's performance tier would've consumed too much power to be a viable portable device in 2017. Outdated tech would've been lacking the hardware architecture features to secure a port of Unreal Engine 4.

Is it less performant than consoles that came out three and a half years before it? Sure. But I can't take those with me for a reason.

Oct 27, 2017
While consuming less than 15W, which was utilitized in a meaningful way by putting a battery and screen in the thing.

That's not - or rather, wasn't - outdated. Outdated tech in the Switch's performance tier would've consumed too much power to be a viable portable device in 2017. Outdated tech would've been lacking the hardware architecture features to secure a port of Unreal Engine 4.

Is it less performant than consoles that came out three and a half years before it? Sure. But I can't take those with me for a reason.

Switch as a home console, which is what I've used it as, was outdated from day 1. It was barely much more impressive than PS3 games I was playing at the time. As a home console, it was pitiful. But anyway, as for Nintendo's games? They are running on outdated tech. And on outdated game design philosophy. Could you imagine Nintendo making a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted 2 or God of War?

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Total Love/Hate relationship for me.. Love Nintendo's 1st party games and the amount of quality put into them... Hate what consumers have made them into at the same time; price hikes, scarcity, etc... (Or is it what Nintendo made consumers into ???). I 'hate purchase' from them... I bitch and complain of their prices, but do it anyway... I bring it all upon myself in the end...
So yeah, it's complicated. Lol

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
I was a NES/SNES guy then absolutely loved N64 and GameCube. I was all about the Revolution until they showed the controller. I got the Wii and the Wii U and the Switch but... We just stopped seeing eye to eye.

I will always love you. Never stop being weird.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I love Nintendo the way I love my alcoholic uncle, who is brilliant and funny but sometimes lets me down in a big way

I've owned everything but virtual boy, even a few game and watches. My longest lived gaming relationship. Been good times and bad

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Switch as a home console, which is what I've used it as, was outdated from day 1. It was barely much more impressive than PS3 games I was playing at the time. As a home console, it was pitiful. But anyway, as for Nintendo's games? They are running on outdated tech. And on outdated game design philosophy. Could you imagine Nintendo making a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted 2 or God of War?

I think you're just trolling at this point but I'll bite:

No, and thank god Nintendo is hell-bent on making their games look cutting edge for the sake of it and shoehorning in filmic techniques at the expense of actual interesting and creative gameplay mechanics, and the industry at large seems to agree. But you can keep playing those if you'd like.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If I had a kid today, I would probably have steered that kid towards things like the 16-bit Sonic games, Sonic Mania, Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy etc. Nintendo would have been at the bottom of my list.
Fair enough. It's not so much about what games you'd prefer to steer your hypothetical kid towards though, and more what actual kids want to play these days when talking about who would lose out if Nintendo disappeared. Nintendo comes up a lot when asking kids what games they want.
www.statista.com

Popularity of selected video games among children in the U.S. 2019 | Statista

The holiday season is a big time for the video gaming industry as the latest games and consoles are often at the top of children's Christmas lists.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
They have made and still make some of my favorite games of all time. So yes... easily

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're just trolling at this point but I'll bite:

No, and thank god Nintendo is hell-bent on making their games look cutting edge for the sake of it and shoehorning in filmic techniques at the expense of actual interesting and creative gameplay mechanics, and the industry at large seems to agree. But you can keep playing those if you'd like.

I'm not trolling at all. I just don't think Nintendo as a company are pushing gaming as a media forwards. They don't care about storytelling, they don't care about much besides gameplay. And gameplay with no storytelling is of no interest to me.

Fair enough. It's not so much about what games you'd prefer to steer your hypothetical kid towards though, and more what actual kids want to play these days when talking about who would lose out if Nintendo disappeared. Nintendo comes up a lot when asking kids what games they want.
www.statista.com

Popularity of selected video games among children in the U.S. 2019 | Statista

The holiday season is a big time for the video gaming industry as the latest games and consoles are often at the top of children's Christmas lists.

Kids these days play mobile games and not Nintendo console games.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not all that interested in those games.

I feel like you're using the word "outdated" to mean "thing I don't like". There's nothing outdated about Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon, Mario Maker, etc.

All of those games are relying on old ideas and old game design, besides BotW. And Immortals: Fenyx Rising did that idea much better than BotW did.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Kids these days play mobile games and not Nintendo console games.
So why did you say were going to recommend them thirty year old sonic games rather than the most popular console games for kids at the moment? I mean, which is it? You're kinda twisting yourself into knots here. Nintendo console games come up on kids lists all the time, as I said, it's why they do a ton of business at Christmas. Mobile is hella popular too, it's also very popular amongst adults. But the idea that 'kids don't play Nintendo console games' feels like a huge stretch when looking at surveys.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is a fantastic business. I enjoy their philosophy of wholesome fun and how they do stuff their own way and all the creativity and talent they foster.

Oct 28, 2017
They are running on outdated tech. And on outdated game design philosophy. Could you imagine Nintendo making a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted 2 or God of War?

Are those three titles supposed to represent "modern design philosophy"? I haven't played God of War since its aesthetic repulses me. But Horizon and Uncharted aren't very good games in my opinion. Please explain what's so modern about them.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Very much so. Out of the three console manufacturers I like how they operate the most but, like all companies who are not held accountable by it's customers, they also do some things I wish they didn't.

They want to make the physical release of Mario 3D All Stars limited? Fine, but the thought of a limited digital release is just fucking dumb. And the removal of Mario 35 really sucks. I'm still holding out hope that at some point it might be re-released alongside a physical version.

They have the only online I'm willing opt pay for since it's only $20 a year. I'd be way more willing to pay for PSN and XBL if they offered versions with online play but no free or discounted games. It's like Amazon Prime, I just do not care about all the extra bullshit they bundle to increase the price. But while I'm fine paying $20 for it, I do wish they did more with the classic releases. I love that they get more obscure games on it but I wish the cadence was faster and more platforms had been added by now.

Finally, I wish they cut the price of games more to give more people the ability to buy them, and I wish they had more diverse casts in their games.

Outside of these issues I really like the company.

Oct 27, 2017
[

So why did you say were going to recommend them thirty year old sonic games rather than the most popular console games for kids at the moment? I mean, which is it? You're kinda twisting yourself into knots here.

If I were to recommend them console games, which they probably wouldn't care about anyway, it would've been Sonic 1-3&K and Streets of Rage 2. I don't expect they'd care though, Fortnite probably would've been more of a thing.

Are those three titles supposed to represent "modern design philosophy"? I haven't played God of War since its aesthetic repulses me. But Horizon and Uncharted aren't very good games in my opinion. Please explain what's so modern about them.

They're games based on telling a story, which is very far from Nintendo's design philosophy when it comes to gaming as a medium. Nintendo aren't pushing gaming as a medium forwards. They're stuck in the 'bing bing wahoo' idea of game design where story has no place and game mechanics are all you need. And that just bores me out of my mind.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How about indifferent?
Is it supposed to fall in the "it's complicated" part (though it's really not)?

OP
OP
Kitty Paws

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Honestly the question is a bit flawed.
You're not wrong, but I wanted to create as simple a poll as I could manage while inviting a sharing of opinion that is both friendly and open, and this is the best I could manage.

I also want to thank all of you in this thread who are making this courteous and open-minded space. Whether you like Nintendo as a company and/or the games they produce or not doesn't make a difference, the coolest part about this thread is how different opinions are allowed to coexist, and I like to think that regardless of where they stand on any sub-topic that is brought up, people here are open to listen to and consider others' opinions. As long as they have the time and inclination to do so of course, approaching this poll as just a fun thing to vote in is totally ok too!

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I love their games. But they're also the most stubborn and rigid company on earth. Can't stand that they're so okay with being behind two gens in graphics. Must be sad for those hard working artists. To always see your work die in a sea of jaggies and shit textures.

But a lot of the games are amazing. Some of my all time favorites.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
As a company? No. Not at all. But they do make good games and I loved them as a kid. So it's complicated.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't think I've ever liked them, even as a kid.

The only way I'd buy some of their games is if they'd port them to iPad or something, which would never happen

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
They're games based on telling a story, which is very far from Nintendo's design philosophy when it comes to gaming as a medium.
I don't understand how telling a story represents something "modern" in games. Zork did it in 1980. I've been skipping cutscenes since they were introduced in gaming, and to me the kind of subpar narrative Uncharted brings to the table only gets in the way of gameplay.

It's not modern at all, but something you like and Nintendo doesn't cater to you.

Nquoid

Jul 25, 2019
They're games based on telling a story, which is very far from Nintendo's design philosophy when it comes to gaming as a medium. Nintendo aren't pushing gaming as a medium forwards. They're stuck in the 'bing bing wahoo' idea of game design where story has no place and game mechanics are all you need. And that just bores me out of my mind.

Which clearly works for a lot of people. If anything I find Sony having their games aim to be interactive movies with dull gameplay far less engaging than Nintendo. If I want story in a game now I can normally find it in the indie space where they're taking Nintendo gameplay ideas but attaching a story to that. Rather than taking a movie and attaching gameplay to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how telling a story represents something "modern" in games. Zork did it in 1980. I've been skipping cutscenes since they were introduced in gaming, and to me the kind of subpar narrative Uncharted brings to the table only gets in the way of gameplay.

It's not modern at all, but something you like and Nintendo doesn't cater to you.

Nintendo doesn't cater to me, and that's fine.

I just don't think Nintendo as a company is pushing the medium forwards. They're laser-focused on gameplay to the detrinment of storytelling. But whatever, de gustibus non est disputandum.

Which clearly works for a lot of people. If anything I find Sony having their games aim to be interactive movies with dull gameplay far less engaging than Nintendo. If I want story in a game now I can normally find it in the indie space where they're taking Nintendo gameplay ideas but attaching a story to that. Rather than taking a movie and attaching gameplay to it.

Nintendo and indie games are frankly some of the least interesting things in gaming IMO. I love Sony's focus on storytelling in games, and love to see how both third parties and Microsoft are leaning towards that. I want games with emphasis on storytelling and cutscenes to push the narrative forwards.

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I guess it's in how I interpret the question, like talking about a company as a whole. I'm a big fan of Nintendo products, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan of their corporate side. I guess that's an overly literal way of looking at it though
Gotcha. I see it like anything really; you have to look at both the good and bad and decide then if you can "like" them.
Same thought process works on people. ;-p

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
Do I like them or not? Aside from BOTW, they don't really have many exclusives that I feel drawn to play. Though I'd love to try BOTW and its sequel, Nintendo's pricing is quite unattractive to me and hence I can't see that happening.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

I just don't think Nintendo as a company is pushing the medium forwards. They're laser-focused on gameplay to the detrinment of storytelling. But whatever, de gustibus non est disputandum.

Nintendo and indie games are frankly some of the least interesting things in gaming IMO. I love Sony's focus on storytelling in games, and love to see how both third parties and Microsoft are leaning towards that. I want games with emphasis on storytelling and cutscenes to push the narrative forwards.

The great thing about this medium is that it can be pushed forward in different ways. Sony does this through story and technology. Nintendo does this through gameplay and innovations around new way to play. You (and others) prefer Sony's focus, while I (and others) prefer Nintendo's. That's cool we both get what we want! :)

Oct 27, 2017
The great thing about this medium is that it can be pushed forward in different ways. Sony does this through story and technology. Nintendo does this through gameplay and innovations around new way to play. You (and others) prefer Sony's focus, while I (and others) prefer Nintendo's. That's cool we both get what we want! :)

This is very true. Gaming can be pushed forward as a medium in different ways. Nintendo does it through gameplay innovations, while Sony and MS do it through HW innovations and through storytelling in gaming as a medium. It all boils down to preferences :)

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
No. Nintendo's gameplay only approach isn't for me. I want my smaller arcade type games to be pure gameplay but if I'm buying a full price game I need more reasons to keep playing. Not just a story but lore, atmosphere, interesting characters etc.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has never really done anything greatly for me tbh, and I never grew up with it either.

what little I have played has ranged from ambivalence (Zelda) to good but not special (Mario). And most of their big IPs don't seem to focus on story which is a big thing for me.
Only thing I can think of that I have really liked was 2D Metroid, so the Dread announcement certainly caused me to look twice though.

and as an extra ive never liked Nintendo's pricing nor their online approach

Oct 28, 2017

I think Nintendo are really pushing the medium forward in ways that are important to my tastes, but obviously not yours. I think the way Mario controls in Odyssey is a true high point for video games, and builds on decades of deep game design knowledge and an unparalleled craftsmanship.

So yes, it is about taste. Let's agree on that instead of pretending that the AAA "narrative route" is bleeding edge stuff.