TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I really don't which sucks about this pandemic for me. :( I have a hard time speaking clearly and communicating over the phone so i prefer texting or ordering online off an app. How do you guys fare with it?

Wanted some Thai food today, but i forgot everything where i live is takeout or delivery(delivery was out of my range).
I wish every restaurant had an app that would be amazing.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
No, I've always absolutely hated it. I don't mind face to face or video chat, but purely auditory chatting has always seemed so unnatural to me.

When and if I need to talk to someone, I need to talk myself into doing so. Talking on the phone is by far my least favorite way of communication.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Hell no. Text communication is the ultimate, ascended form of communication.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hate it. Order/set up appts online as much as possible. At work try to do as much via email as I can.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I don't like being on the phone when I'm home. When I'm home I'm in chill mode and would rather just... chill instead of having to keep up a conversation.

But I do enjoy talking on the phone when I'm out and about.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I do! I hate texting; among other issues, you can't really sink into a natural enjoyable conversation with someone, by text. At least I can't. 40 y/o for reference.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
If it's someone I know I'm okay but otherwise I hate it and will only do it if I have no other option.
Much prefer face to face even though I hate the sight of another human

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Android? Might have to give that a look! Thanks :D
it might be different depending on where you are (and what you want)

it's best to just google around and see what they offer

my favorite place for chinese takeaway usea a third-party website thats not grubhub or uber eats or anything like that

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
The only people I answer the phone for are my mom, my gf, my brother and my boss and really the latter two sometimes have to call twice consecutively.

Text makes more sense in every way.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I use to hate it, major anxiety trigger for me in the past though I was fine once I was on the phone, but the prospect of having to call someone was paralyzing. My first job as an Admin kind of required answering phone calls and calling up people dozens of times a day though. So I couldn't avoid it and just had to get it over and now I barely even think about it. I don't talk on the phone with people much personally, but I no longer get nervous or panicky at the prospect of having to call someone.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't even like talking to my nurses doctor on the phone every few months for example. Texting is much preferred and wish they did it.

I actually dislike "leaving a message" even more though, I try to avoid that at all costs. I feel like if i screw up saying something I sound like a fool. Please leave a message after the to..... END CALL.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird. When I was a teen, I stayed talking on the phone. I ran through my minutes. 9PM was my favorite time of the day because them you could call people and talk without wasting any minutes.

Now I avoid basically all phone calls.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't even like talking to my nurses doctor on the phone every few months for example. Texting is much preferred and wish they did it.

I actually dislike "leaving a message" even more though, I try to avoid that at all costs. I feel like if i screw up saying something I sound like a fool. Please leave a message after the to..... END CALL.
Me too i never leave a message i just hang up.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Nope text/email is better overall if its a distance thing, I have no problems talking in person though, just specifically don't like the phone.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I love it! Maybe it has to do with being older and just having more experience before cell phones were a thing.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
years of being in call centers have made me an absolute alpha on the phone

I did call centers in my late high school and a couple years after, it was good money and benefits compared to fast food. A couple years in call centers will prepare you to deal with any type -- happy people, sad people, angry people, confused people. After a little while it's 2nd nature and frankly a very valuable skill, to control and steer conversations.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I did call centers in my late high school and a couple years after, it was good money and benefits compared to fast food. A couple years in call centers will prepare you to deal with any type -- happy people, sad people, angry people, confused people. After a little while it's 2nd nature and frankly a very valuable skill, to control and steer conversations.

i eventually became the manager over two call centers before my current position, i've dealt with every crazy situation on the phone possible lol

we had bomb threats, threats of violence, drunks, you name it lol

Ocie

Jan 21, 2020
I absolutely despise it and dread having to do it. I've gotten better over time though.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. And I will actively avoid it(unless it's someone I know very personally). I'll often just ignore the phone ringing, and then text back later.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely not. I have friends who insist on calling even when I tell them I won't pick up, so I don't.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate talking on the phone. Only person I talk on the phone with is my boyfriend, and that's because he hates long conversations over text.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
No

I don't mind talking in person, absolutely hate it on the phone.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I despise phone small talk. Also, I get really bad anxiety when I have to call up a business and ask for something....like I write it down, otherwise my mind just goes blank lol

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Love it. I live a long way from family so its the only way I can easily keep in touch.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

You do know that if you stop talking most voicemail systems will give you options, including to delete what you said and start over, right?

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Literally in the top 3 things I hate the most in the world. I don't know why, I just can't do it. I'm so boring that the silence feels awkward and I'm the type of person that doesn't mind silence. Even with girlfriends I can't do it.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I hate it and pretty much don't answer the phone anymore unless it's a close family member. I think my aversion to it became worse after spending about 16 months working in call centres, no clue how I managed to last even a week in that kind of role. Hearing a phone ring sets off a borderline panic response in me at this point.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I like it. I spend a lot of times on the phone with friends out of state pretty often. Much easier telling mid length stories and what not.

Edit: Curious about the age of everyone saying they hate it vs those who don't