• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like letterbox cutscenes and aspect ratio changes?

• Yes I love it.

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • No I hate it.

Votes: 45 25.7%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 84 48.0%
  • Don't even notice.

Votes: 23 13.1%

• Total voters

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I just started playing Ghost of Tsushima and noticed most of the cutscenes. I remember getting super annoyed at Evil Within back in the day for it but I am finding myself liking it in Ghost despite being a little jarring with bad quick transitions . (Helps that gameplay is free of it.)

my favorite implementation is Red dead 2. The way the letterbox slowly slides in when approaching a cutscene is really neat and smooth. In general red dead had some surprisingly good shot composition.

I also really like when media besides games play with letterbox 's like how WandaVision has a couple of scenes with Red dead redemption type slow and smooth aspect ratio changes or like how kill la kill has flashbacks in 4:3.

Edit: I also like the subtitles being over the black letterbox making them easier to read.

so what do you think? Do you like it dislike letterbox and aspect ratio changes?

Last edited:

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
i don't appreciate it in video games. It interferes with my immersion personally. I'd like to see all of the stuff on my screen without artificial barriers.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I also really like when media besides games play with letterbox 's like how WandaVision has a couple of scenes with Red dead redemption type slow and smooth aspect ratio scenes
I just spent the last several minutes trying to remember if there was a game, show, or movie that was doing weird things with aspect ratio and letterboxing, and I couldn't remember at all so I came back to the thread. All I had to do was read more of your post to remember that was it. haha.

As for games, I find it to be obnoxious since there's no natural reason to do the letterboxing. I just feel like I'm losing screen space. It doesn't feel more immersive or anything.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
it depends. As you say I quite like it in rdr 2 for example, the smooth transitions look really good and in my opinion without them sometimes it would be a little awkward to know when you actaully have control and when you don't as the transitions often start while you're still in gameplay camera mode. And despite the black bars added after the cutscenes already been implemented, it does feel that a lot of the scenes were made with a more filmic aspect ratio in mind as the composition is indeed really neat in especially the key scenes.

I aboslutely hated it in yakuza 0 though because the game already employs a lot of different style of "cutscenes", high production value ones with custom animations and higher quality models/assets, the lower quality ones where its just the gameplay models and then the even lower quality one with text boxes, and finally the kinda comic book style image stills. And only one of them had black bars... which felt completely pointless and made it even more jarring.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont hate it but I do prefer a full screen image so you get consistency between gameplay and cutscenes.

When I heard that Red Dead Redemption 2 changed to bordered cutscenes late in the development, I was disappointed. Both because I prefer consistency and due to the amount of work it placed on the team to re frame all the scenes.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I appreciate how the subtitles are over the letterbox in ghost making them easier to read.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy all this screen for chunks of it to not be filled up!

But in reality, I don't really care either way.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I actively dislike it. The screen that almost everyone uses now is 16:9. All media should just be shot, created or rendered in 16:9 now. If the majority of your viewers are using that ratio just make your media use it.

Jul 1, 2020
It's weird when you are using a 21:9 display and the 21:9 cropped cutscenes still have black bars. This was also a thing that happened when the switch from 4:3/5:4 to 16:9/16:10 happened

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I adore letterboxing for cut-scenes, especially in older 4:3 games. Still looks great in modern games too. It doesn't need to be done in every game with cut-scenes or cinematic presentation, especially ones that do their best to blend cut-scenes in and out gameplay seamlessly like Last of Us, but I generally think it's a good and visually attractive decision.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
It's fine on console games on a larger TV but I don't like it when I'm playing PC games on my monitor, my screen is small enough as it is.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I've got no strong feelings.
Thoug I wonder if with HDMI VRR, we'll be seeing 24fps cinematic cutscenes

Oct 30, 2017
I hate it.

Especially in Nier, I mean WTF is this? so disturbing for me:

29-virus_(37).jpg

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a big problem with it and can understand why a game would want to shift to a single consistent aspect ratio for cutscenes of composed shots, but using some CinemaScope-style ratio for content that was never designed for a cinema screen can feel like an unjustified affectation. And poor implementations where content doesn't at least best-fit to the user's particular screen are obviously not great.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I prefer a smealess transition but it can work in some situations, but it has no place during gameplay like Dragon's Dogma & The Order did (Pretty sure that was just to save some performance anyways)

RDR2 cropped the aspect ratio for cutscenes and based on leaks it was a last minute choice for artistic reasons. Comparing the uncropped cutscenes via the PC Mod I don't think it added anything of value other than to let you know control is being taken away

Oct 27, 2017
No, I actively dislike it. The screen that almost everyone uses now is 16:9. All media should just be shot, created or rendered in 16:9 now. If the majority of your viewers are using that ratio just make your media use it.
You're really advocating for the death of 4:3 and ultrawide aspect ratios? There are certain things 16:9 just can't possibly accomplish.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
No. Cutscene is a part of the game for me. There is no need to stylize it as if it's a movie unrelated to the game I'm playing.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They're great when done well and used appropriately. It's a legitimate tool and like most things comes down to execution.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good cue to knowing when you can or can't perform actions. The worst is a long cutscene going right into action without any kind of differentiation and then getting hit by an enemy because you didn't think you could move yet.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
If they compose the shots differently so there's actually a reason, sure it's cool. But if they just drape black bars over an existing shot for that CiNEmAtiC LoOk then meh.

When it's done right, I don't notice the aspect ration transitions happening in movies/shows that do it.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it one way or the other for cutscenes... except for the Nier games that operate kind of like older Japanese home video letterboxing with disproportionate black bars that are actually translucent.

I can understand the rational behind not wanted subtitles intruding on the image, even if I don't agree with it. Translucent bars though, it just seems to call to attention that you're cropping the image.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to call it a "AAA trend" when it has both been done for over a decade and also by non-AAA games

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Playing Ghost of Tsushima I was wishing there was a way to play the whole game that way as an option. I wouldn't mind it in a lot of games actually.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't tais a complaint of the original bioshock so much so that they did away with it for infinite?

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
This has been a thing in games for an extremely long time. There are games on the Dreamcast that have letterboxed cutscenes.