• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you look at a restaurant menu before going?

• yes

Votes: 425 89.5%
  • no

Votes: 44 9.3%
  • Lemon pepper wings are GOAT

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
It's my brothers birthday today, got the name of the Restaurant we are going to(new Italian place) pulled out my phone and went to look at the menu online, my dad looked at me all weird lmao

anyone else do this before going to a Restaurant? I like to see what my options are.. doesn't matter if its hours later šŸ˜œ

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
who needs to look at a menu if im going to order chicken nuggets and fries only.

im not picky so i just probably go in blind and pick things at random.

Oct 27, 2017
Well I at least want to know what kind of food they serve at the place. For something like an Italian restaurant, probably not though

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If I'm booking it I want to make sure that it looks good before making reservations. If someone else is booking it I'm easy either way.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. If I'm picking a restaurant to go to, yeah, I'll compare menus and make sure I know what I want.

But, like, a couple weeks ago my friend was having a birthday thing at a hibachi restaurant. I have no say in where we're going, I know what hibachi is in general, and there's going to be a 10+ minute "sitting around looking at the menu" period at the start of the night. So no, I wouldn't bother in that case.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a place I've never been to, yeah. I like to have an idea of what I'm going to order.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, especially if there's a line to order food instead of having servers. I don't want some impatient prick getting pissed off at me for taking "too long" to decide.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'm more apt to look up reviews to determine if it's good or not. I rarely look up menus, but I'm not picky at all. I'll find something to eat just about anywhere.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't eat pork, so I usually check to make sure they at least have some meat dishes that I can eat

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I'm picky so I will know exactly what I'm ordering before I leave the house :P

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Why the fuck wouldn't you look? I also usually look up photos of the food people have posted on Google Maps/Instagram - get a sense of what you're actually getting re: portion sizes.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, especially if it's on the nicer side. It won't change my decision if I've already decided to go, but I'll do it to hype myself up.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Vegan so as above with veggie kinda have to. It's not hard in the city though, relatively small city but those that do good Vegan food are known (We have Thai, Vietnamese, Tapas, Italian, Indian on tap and I pretty much know what I'd order from each if I were to go).

AvianAviator

ā–² Legend ā–²
Jun 23, 2021
Some joints, no. If I'm going to a burger place or an Indian place, I already know what I want cause I always get the exact same thing.

Some places are harder, I don't eat Greek or Mediterranean food as often so I try new things. And if I go to a breakfast place, their menus can vary wildly so I'll take a look at a menu.

Most of the time the answer is yes though.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, I do. Going to a restaurant without checking reviews and browsing the menu just isnt happening

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
if the restaurant is a complete unknown, then I'd definitely try to scope out the menu unless it has been recommended by someone.

I'd probably feel fairly safe going to an Italian restaurant with menu unseen though, as there are enough options in Italian cuisine that I actively like that the odds are pretty good I'll find something I want to eat.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I study it for days in advance. I'm extremely indecisive when on the spot so I like to know ahead of time.

...and then they read the specials and it sounds really good oh god which should I order, they both sound so good ah shit...

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Yes, especially if it's a cuisine that usually uses peanuts in their dishes as I'm allergic. If they use peanuts at all then I'll most likely stay away.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, I try to get a sense of what I'm in for before I go to a restaurant, including a menu peep.

EDIT: I just also want to say that I don't usually make my order choice from that menu preview, though. I just try to get a larger picture of what's on offer, not try to actually pick and choose what I'm going to eat -- I make my choice after I go there.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Yes, it's nice to have an idea of what i want and maybe some backup choices in case whatever I want isn't available for some reason.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Only if I'm with a group and they do so prior to going/choosing a place. I'm pretty open in the food I like, so it's rare I get to somewhere nice and not see anything I'd want to try.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Do you not? Food pictures from somewhere other than the establishment as well as price checks are pretty mandatory for me personally.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I only really look at the menu if I'm deciding where to go. If it has already been decided, I'll just figure out what I want when I'm there.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I give new places' menus a once over before going. You can learn a lot about a restaurant by looking at their menu.

Nahobinbro

Jun 7, 2022
Never, and whenever my partner suggests a place that they want to try and sends me a menu to look over they always get a 'looks great' 2 minutes later (I haven't looked).

Based on a lot of the responses here, this apparently makes me a maniac.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Not only do I enjoy the surprise, but I will generally ask the waitress their favorites, get whatever the special of the day is, or just get whatever signature dish the restaurant is known for. It's how I try new things.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly already decide what I want to eat before going to a restaurant. Most of the times there are photos of the exact dishes on Google Maps. I want to see what I am getting BEFORE. Too many times I have been disappointed.